Re: Bobby Collins

albert herbert hawkins wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
zicoslovechild wrote:

Always liked Arthur Graham and unlike the others that went to play for Man u always look on him as been Leeds.

Yeah, funnily enough I still think of him as Leeds. Not Jordan or McQueen or Sharpe (who is still a Manc bastard and always will be).

I remember the kop singing.

"bring back; bring back; bring back Arthur Graham to Leeds to Leeds"

I know he's not popular with some on here but I always felt the same about Peter Barnes. He was a fantastic player and an England regular when we bought him. Alledgedly the board pulled the money and Sniffer didn't get to sign Andy Gray so we end up with Graham and Barnes with no bugger to aim at. For Barnes it cost him his trip to the 82 Worldcup. Tony Morley went instead on the back of the goal on the opening titles of Match of The Day.

I remember Graham and Barnes both staring for scum the year they were ten points clear prior to Christmas under Atkinson before injuries decimated their challenge. I remember thinking at the time that it should have been us a few years earlier.

Clarke was all set to buy Garry Thompson from Coventry for £500k I think it was, but Sexton took over there and cancelled the deal.  The Andy Gray thing was, I think, doomed because they wanted either £2m or something like a million plus Arthur Graham.  The Kop kept singing that Wolves could stick Andy Gray up their arse, Arthur was that popular at the time. 

At least, that's how I remember it.  Pretty sure the Garry Thompson thing is right but the rest might be less accurate, soz.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Either way. That season from memory the top wide players would have been Coppell, Rix, Robertson, and Graham & Barnes. Our central midfield was light but with a decent target man we should have done all right.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

old codger wrote:
albert herbert hawkins wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Yeah, funnily enough I still think of him as Leeds. Not Jordan or McQueen or Sharpe (who is still a Manc bastard and always will be).

I remember the kop singing.

"bring back; bring back; bring back Arthur Graham to Leeds to Leeds"

I know he's not popular with some on here but I always felt the same about Peter Barnes. He was a fantastic player and an England regular when we bought him. Alledgedly the board pulled the money and Sniffer didn't get to sign Andy Gray so we end up with Graham and Barnes with no bugger to aim at. For Barnes it cost him his trip to the 82 Worldcup. Tony Morley went instead on the back of the goal on the opening titles of Match of The Day.

I remember Graham and Barnes both staring for scum the year they were ten points clear prior to Christmas under Atkinson before injuries decimated their challenge. I remember thinking at the time that it should have been us a few years earlier.

Clarke was all set to buy Garry Thompson from Coventry for £500k I think it was, but Sexton took over there and cancelled the deal.  The Andy Gray thing was, I think, doomed because they wanted either £2m or something like a million plus Arthur Graham.  The Kop kept singing that Wolves could stick Andy Gray up their arse, Arthur was that popular at the time. 

At least, that's how I remember it.  Pretty sure the Garry Thompson thing is right but the rest might be less accurate, soz.

Yes i'm pretty sure Clarke's said since that it was Garry Thompson, not sure why it collapsed though.

Didn't Wolves have to pay approximately 1.25 million to sign Andy Gray? Where did he go after Wolves? And whatever happened to Garry Thompson, he seems to have sunk without trace, must have ended up overseas.

Andy Gray did rather well at Everton.  If only eh?

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Smutty Lips wrote:

Yes i'm pretty sure Clarke's said since that it was Garry Thompson, not sure why it collapsed though.

'Alledgedly' wink Clarke had been promised a pot of money to create his 'triangle'. That included a winger, a midfielder and an attacker. The first purchase was the winger, Peter Barnes, but the board then got cold feet after the amount of money spent on him so didn't make any further funds available.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"