Topic: Born to Run - Christopher McDougall.

Born to Run - The Hidden Tribe, the Ultra-Runners, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen by Christopher McDougall

Just started this and after three chapters I think I can safely say this is a classic. It's like Krackenaur, Kerouak and errr.. Bill Bryson rolled in to one. From the type of books Cutsyke has recommended I suspect he'd like it, but here's a better synopsis that I can write  (from Amazon)

Born to Run succeeds at three levels. First, it is a page turner. The build up to a fifty-mile foot race over some of the world's least hospitable terrain drives the narrative forward. Along the way McDougall introduces a cast of characters worthy of Dickens, including an almost superhuman ultramarathoner, Jenn and the Bonehead--a couple who down bottles of booze to warm up for a race, Barefoot Ted, Mexican drug dealers, a ghostly ex-boxer, a heartbroken father, and of course the Tarahumara, arguably the greatest runners in the world.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-Hidden … amp;sr=1-1

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Re: Born to Run - Christopher McDougall.

Just finished reading this after I amanged to get a copy from the library.

Great book, if you like those travel, meeting nutters along the way.

Also damning verdicts given on modern day running shoes , Nike & stuff. Which we all know none of them have got it right since the early 80's.

Good book

I am just a common breed

Missed this, will have a look. Thanks.

Well that was fun.

Skipped through this in a few days. Brilliantly written and thought provoking. One of the best books I've read in a long time.

Site stalwart.

I read that a few years ago when I was training for a triathlon. Excellent, fascinating and thought provoking.

Another fascinating book on the theme of running is Murakami's 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running'. (Title inspired by Raymond Carver's 'What we talk about when we talk about love' which isn't about running but is a brilliant set of short stories)

It's now on my list, do you need to be into running to enjoy it ?

Billy Hunt Billy Hunt Billy Billy Beleive!

Not at all. The Mrs really enjoyed it and the only time she's ever ran is when she's heard the dinner bell.

Revieswhites wrote:

It's now on my list, do you need to be into running to enjoy it ?

Not really. It's a lot to do with how we're all meant to be running, hence the title, but have just got out the habit. There's all these little tales and theories that culminate in a big race in Mexico at the end. Really well written.

Site stalwart.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Not at all. The Mrs really enjoyed it and the only time she's ever ran is when she's heard the dinner bell.

big_smile

Show her that,  go on,  dare you

BTW - just ordered it for my missus on strength of reviews here

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

No chance smile The only negative thing about this book is the subsequent rise of the vibram footglove which if fashion really could be a crime would be a definite contender for a Strasbourg trial.