Little Billy Bremner wrote:

Forget the seaside. The wife and me are going here this weekend

http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/leeminghouse

No real ale roll  big_smile

Re: whitby

Matt the Bat wrote:

I've used these a couple of times and had no complaints

http://www.discoveryaccommodation.com/

In here. Thanks Matt. Even better, the wife organised it. So its not my fault. yikes

Cutsyke wrote:

Get to Staithes, proper Northern holiday gaff.

Staithes is fucking marvellous, my childhood seaside memories, never forget getting lost there once, turned around and me Mam had disappeared, world fell apart for 15 minutes. Robin Hood's Bay is also ace, couple of good pubs to have a really lazy pint outside, breathtaking views. We used to drive out there and have beach parties, fire and the lot, thought we were in one of those American college movies that were all the rage back then, Jaws n that.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

So we split the trip. A day/night in York, followed by a couple of days in whitby.

Arrive in York, hotel have fucked up the booking for the family room, even though I booked through Expedia and paid up front.

Dead nice hotel, eager to make amends so we end up in two suites at no extra cost big_smile one of which is a corner room with fantastic views over the city walls. So far so good.

Which hotel in York did you end up in Gore?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Cedar Court Grand. It's been open 3 weeks apparently, was on offer on Expedia. Nice place.

hendersonjones wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Booked solid through to July. I was looking for a place round that part of the world for next weekend and that place looked ace. sad

Any other suggestions for decent hotels by the sea in that part of the world?

harveys have rooms
moon and sixpence (owned by the marine) great rooms
and something a little different , larosa up at the top near the whale bone arch , lewis carrol stayed in this building seven times and its now been turned into an alice in wonderland victoriana hotel great place

http://www.larosa.co.uk/
http://www.moon-and-sixpence.co.uk/

Moon and Sixpence - great scan. Had dinner there tonight. HJ, thanks for the recommendation. Really good place.

gorefidel wrote:
Matt the Bat wrote:

In here. Thanks Matt. Even better, the wife organised it. So its not my fault. yikes

Glad the wife organised it (she found it independently of your post, phew!), very basic. Clean, but basic - like a colour blind student flat with a pine fetish and an aversion to cotton.

Did the job, dead central and lucky for a last minute. Thank fuck it wasn't raining. The swimming pool and stuff was a couple of streets away....so a bit vague on the facts front as well they were.

gorefidel wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
Matt the Bat wrote:

Glad the wife organised it (she found it independently of your post, phew!), very basic. Clean, but basic - like a colour blind student flat with a pine fetish and an aversion to cotton.

Did the job, dead central and lucky for a last minute. Thank fuck it wasn't raining. The swimming pool and stuff was a couple of streets away....so a bit vague on the facts front as well they were.

My recommendation may have been slightly influenced by the fact that 4 of us got a free full english both days we were there big_smile

Matt the Bat wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

My recommendation may have been slightly influenced by the fact that 4 of us got a free full english both days we were there big_smile

You walked all that way for a free fry up? You tight get. The moon and sixpence was really good food wise and had nice 500ml bottles of chilled Black Sheep n all. And reasonable for what we had. And it was sunny afternoon and evening, so we had a good time wandering round the beach and rockpools and even better one when the day trippers all went home and it wasn't heaving anymore.

So the accommodation was just to sleep in (thank fuck) and then we had to head back early morning so the fry up wasn't on the cards either.

Mike Jones wrote:
Cutsyke wrote:

Get to Staithes, proper Northern holiday gaff.

Staithes is fucking marvellous, my childhood seaside memories, never forget getting lost there once, turned around and me Mam had disappeared, world fell apart for 15 minutes. Robin Hood's Bay is also ace, couple of good pubs to have a really lazy pint outside, breathtaking views. We used to drive out there and have beach parties, fire and the lot, thought we were in one of those American college movies that were all the rage back then, Jaws n that.

myself and the Burley lodge community centre local youth team are barred from that place, due to a young lad who decided he could drive the van onto the beach circa 1992

I will leave it at that

Whitby's one of my favourite places .It was the 1st place i ever had an holiday I went with the school when i was 10 .It made a lasting impression on me There used to be a large hospital ship on thebeach back then a relic from the War .think it was cut up & moved in the 80's ?
I remember the 1st night well probably they do as well ? i was really into reading about Sharks at an early age so a trip to the sea was brilliant for me .I obviously wasn't aware Sharks weren't hanging around the British coast .because as i looked out of my hotel window starring into the sea i could see that there was something Moving  about in the sea immediatly i was thinking SHARK ! so i ran out of my room where there was a large gong .i proceeded to bang this shit out of it .people came streaming out of their rooms half dressed  in panic mode .when everyone in the hotel were now standng in the foyer
The manager asked who had raised the alarm .I put my hand up They asked why i had banged the gong I then told them about the shark in the sea .Didn't go down to well .I was taken back to my  room to show them then the manager told me it was a Bhoy Our teacher decided to punish everyone for my mis demeaner & had us all doing keep fit excerse's on the beach at 7.30 am all week which didn't go down to well with my fellow school friends   .people blanked me for the next few days when i went down to breakfast i just got looks of disdain from everyone .people did eventually start to talk to me again as the week progressed .Luckily a old lady  saw what was happening so she befriended me . i had breakfast on her table everyday .She was really nice & friendly she was a painter she was always on the edge of the cliffs painting the scenery

If i'm ever smitten with a young lady i would take them to Whitby for a test run I haven't been on a test run for age's now .I remember one lass  really liked back in 90 we were finding it dificult to have time on our own due to a complicated situation .The only place we could meet was the Westeigh but got little time together in there so we decided to spend a long weekend in Whitby .We were really looking forward to it We get there put our stuff in the room then went to check out the local pubs .nearest pub to the hotel on the opposite side to the Abbey
walks in ,stood at the bar then i heard a few people call out my name I turned round & there's a few  of the Westleigh regulars sat there having a beer .they were all in teh bulding game & were doing a job just round the corner from our hotel .
My mate once went to Kenya & the 1st person he met was a Westleigh regular .
It was a great pub half Bradfordians /half students but rubbish for a romantic evening .

The weekend got worse We were sat in a bar on the front a pub the fishermen used There was this giant hunk of a women about 6ft 5 built like a brick shithouse complete with waiders ,wild hair & oil skins A bit like giant Haystacks with feminine charm .She was very loud at one oint my girlfriend went to the bog .just as this lady was about to leave .She's looking around the pub for pray all the blokes heads turn away from her gaze She see's me sitting there on my own & shouts "you'll do !"then grabs hold of my armsaying "your coming home with me"  then proceeds to try drag me out of the pub .there's a hell of a lot of power in this lady & i'm struggling to 1st explain i'm taken ,while  desperately looking for my girlfriend while still tryng to remain seated .I don't really do self concious but i was as red as a man ure shirt that day Lookily my girlfriend turned up just in time she explained that were were together & this monster of a women  just accepted it ,appolgised then left .It was a short Whitby trip that time

Last edited by soldierant (Thu 03 Jun 2010 12:54 pm)

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

soldierant wrote:

Whitby's one of my favourite places .It was the 1st place i ever had an holiday I went with the school when i was 10 .It made a lasting impression on me There used to be a large hospital ship on thebeach back then a relic from the War .think it was cut up & moved in the 80's ?
I remember the 1st night well probably they do as well ? i was really into reading about Sharks at an early age so a trip to the sea was brilliant for me .I obviously wasn't aware Sharks weren't hanging around the British coast .because as i looked out of my hotel window starring into the sea i could see that there was something Moving  about in the sea immediatly i was thinking SHARK ! so i ran out of my room where there was a large gong .i proceeded to bang this shit out of it .people came streaming out of their rooms half dressed  in panic mode .when everyone in the hotel were now standng in the foyer
The manager asked who had raised the alarm .I put my hand up They asked why i had banged the gong I then told them about the shark in the sea .Didn't go down to well .I was taken back to my  room to show them then the manager told me it was a Bhoy Our teacher decided to punish everyone for my mis demeaner & had us all doing keep fit excerse's on the beach at 7.30 am all week which didn't go down to well with my fellow school friends   .people blanked me for the next few days when i went down to breakfast i just got looks of disdain from everyone .people did eventually start to talk to me again as the week progressed .Luckily a old lady  saw what was happening so she befriended me . i had breakfast on her table everyday .She was really nice & friendly she was a painter she was always on the edge of the cliffs painting the scenery

If i'm ever smitten with a young lady i would take them to Whitby for a test run I haven't been on a test run for age's now .I remember one lass  really liked back in 90 we were finding it dificult to have time on our own due to a complicated situation .The only place we could meet was the Westeigh but got little time together in there so we decided to spend a long weekend in Whitby .We were really looking forward to it We get there put our stuff in the room then went to check out the local pubs .nearest pub to the hotel on the opposite side to the Abbey
walks in ,stood at the bar then i heard a few people call out my name I turned round & there's a few  of the Westleigh regulars sat there having a beer .they were all in teh bulding game & were doing a job just round the corner from our hotel .
It was a great pub half Bradfordians /half students but rubbish for a romantic evening .

The weekend got worse We were sat in a bar on the front a pub the fishermen used There was this giant hunk of a women about 6ft 5 built like a brick shithouse complete with waiders ,wild hair & oil skins A bit like giant Haystacks with feminine charm .She was very loud at one oint my girlfriend went to the bog .just as this lady was about to leave .She's looking around the pub for pray all the blokes heads turn away from her gaze She see's me sitting there on my own & shouts "you'll do !"then grabs hold of my armsaying "your coming home with me"  then proceeds to try drag me out of the pub .there's a hell of a lot of power in this lady & i'm struggling to 1st explain i'm taken ,while  desperately looking for my girlfriend while still tryng to remain seated .I don't really do self concious but i was as red as a man ure shirt that day Lookily my girlfriend turned up just in time she explained that were were together & this monster of a women  just accepted it ,appolgised then left .It was a short Whitby trip that time

I bet a significant sum that had your lass not been with you it would have been a case of "fair fucks, I'll do it for mankind".

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Thu 03 Jun 2010 12:59 pm)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

gorefidel wrote:

The moon and sixpence was really good food wise and had nice 500ml bottles of chilled Black Sheep n all. And reasonable for what we had.

Went there last time I visited Whitby, think it had only just opened, and we had some very good food. They seemed to be renovating that part of Whitby at the time (it needed it) and there was a bar above the Quayside chippy. Was a studenty place, but had a relaxed atmosphere and some nice lagers on. The main purveyance of the joint though was cocktails, which isn't really my thing. But by dog they made some good ones... they put a lot of time and effort into each one and they were some of the best i've ever tasted.

It seems very odd as a recommendation to tell someone to go to a cocktail bar if you're visiting Whitby, but that's what i'm doing - you won't be disappointed.

The moon and sixpence, Marine - both mentioned by HJ were good. Harrys bar sucked - next to the chippy opposit the fish stalls. The pub on the other side by the Church stairs nearest the sea (Duke of York?) I liked a lot. Pints of Spitfire, Black Sheep and some cold lager.

Had kids, so didn't do a crawl.

gorefidel wrote:

The moon and sixpence, Marine - both mentioned by HJ were good. Harrys bar sucked - next to the chippy opposit the fish stalls. The pub on the other side by the Church stairs nearest the sea (Duke of York?) I liked a lot. Pints of Spitfire, Black Sheep and some cold lager.

Had kids, so didn't do a crawl.

Duke of York good for food and a contemplatory gaze at the harbour.  Red Lion on other side is nice and ole worlde.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
soldierant wrote:

I bet a significant sum that had your lass not been with you it would have been a case of "fair fucks, I'll do it for mankind".

You reckon? I don't think i would have seen the light of day again if i had have entered that partcicular cavern ,even with all correct safety apparel

soldierant wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
soldierant wrote:

You reckon? I don't think i would have seen the light of day again if i had have entered that partcicular cavern ,even with all correct safety apparel

Plank tied to arse?

Reggie Perrin wrote:
soldierant wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Plank tied to arse?

We moved on from walking it these days ?

soldierant wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
soldierant wrote:

I love this site!  My immediate view of my life is fairly mundane but the threads on here awaken memories of the more chequered episodes.

Away to Preston, (won 4 summat, Healy got three?). we stopped in Blackpool and the match was a brief respite in the course of a serious drinking session.  Late on the Saturday night we were in the Flagship and my senses were beginning to desert me.

At this stage, my memory fades but my mates gleefully provided further details the next day.

Apparently a Geordie bid grabs hold of me and by means of introduction, whips out a breast, which sports a fetching spiders web tatto, centred on the nipple.  She starts leading me to the door, but the mates make a half-hearted enquiry along the lines of "You alright?".  I was incapable of answering but my paramour replied with "F*** off, he's wi me now"

The rest of the night remains a mystery but I woke up be-bagged in my own room, with wallet and cash intact.

You see?  Romance isn't dead.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
soldierant wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

I love this site!  My immediate view of my life is fairly mundane but the threads on here awaken memories of the more chequered episodes.

Away to Preston, (won 4 summat, Healy got three?). we stopped in Blackpool and the match was a brief respite in the course of a serious drinking session.  Late on the Saturday night we were in the Flagship and my senses were beginning to desert me.

At this stage, my memory fades but my mates gleefully provided further details the next day.

Apparently a Geordie bid grabs hold of me and by means of introduction, whips out a breast, which sports a fetching spiders web tatto, centred on the nipple.  She starts leading me to the door, but the mates make a half-hearted enquiry along the lines of "You alright?".  I was incapable of answering but my paramour replied with "F*** off, he's wi me now"

The rest of the night remains a mystery but I woke up be-bagged in my own room, with wallet and cash intact.

You see?  Romance isn't dead.

Geordie /Whitby  not much difference with the accent wonder if she was on tour .if so glad you got  further then i did & lived to tell teh tale

Off to Whitby for a long weekend tommorow. There's some good recommendations on here by the looks of it. Think we're covered on the restaurant front but any further tips on real ale boozers would be much appreciated. Its my birthday, I intend to try a fair few.

http://www.whitby-town.com/pubguide.php

Have a good un. Cant beat a morning walk to Sandsend and back on the beach work a thirst/appetite up. A lovely part of the earth.

Last edited by placidcasual (Thu 19 May 2011 4:28 pm)