Re: whitby

Lovely place. Used to go there a lot as a kid then later camping behind a pub at Sandsend. Don't recall the name but it was a real ale joint. This is 30 years ago but nothing much changes that way on.  Sutcliffe (no not that one) Gallery worth a look if you like old photos.  Happy Birthday...

‘I held Suzannah’s hand and told her, “I have to save Leeds United”

Avoid that place we stayed at unless you want to relive student digs.

If you're taking the sprogs this place has a really good new playground, all sea themed.

http://www.pannettpark.co.uk/

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Cheers everyone, had an ace weekend. Highlights pubwise were the Duke of York, The Station (used to be tap and spiel - exceptionally good Copper Dragon’s Golden Pippin) and the Black Horse (cracking little boozer, could have stayed in there all day). Moon and Sixpence was great for food.  The fish pie was boss.

Hadn’t been to Whitby for about 15 years. My old man liked it so much he is part of the beach. Can see why now.

Haven't got sprogs Harvest (yet -until July) so deffo one for the future that.

just returned had 4 great days back in whitby , stayed in a cottage this time just off church st thru that arch next to the white horse and griffin , ate at the marine again the place is excellent scallops lobster washed down with pouilly fume took the daughter this time she had king prawns and fish&chips she loved the bloke on the piano who once he noticed her sung/played disney classics for her lionking toystory etc she loved it , saturday walked to sandsend and back followed by a bbq at the cottage then the whitby ghost walk , sunday took the cleveland way but only got as far as saltwick bay fantastic beach rockpools etc and an old shipwreck walked back into whitby and had sunday dinner at the whitehorse and griffin at £12.95 its a bit steep but well worth it cracking food roast rib of beef with all the trimmings followed by a little pub crawl by the harbour saw peter jackson in the moon and sixpence , found another place that looks great for food the vinyard off silver st need to book another weekend here big_smile , then walked back to the cottage looking in estate agents windows with romantic dreams of buying a small cottage here

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

If you can, you should. Best thing we ever did was getting somewhere to go for a holiday etc...

gorefidel wrote:

If you can, you should. Best thing we ever did was getting somewhere to go for a holiday etc...

just a dream mate but maybe one day , where,s youre holiday home ?

days leading upto our our w/end away lads on the building site were saying "whitby" what do you want to go there for theres fuck all there lol:lol: i work with fucking idiots , same lot back in may said when i took the family to portugals alentejo region , you,l get sick of all those lady gaga party songs in the bars and clubs yikes:o

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

hendersonjones wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

days leading upto our our w/end away lads on the building site were saying "whitby" what do you want to go there for theres fuck all there lol:lol: i work with fucking idiots , same lot back in may said when i took the family to portugals alentejo region , you,l get sick of all those lady gaga party songs in the bars and clubs yikes:o

Just outside Granada, up in the hills about 3500ft up in a small village with a couple of bars.  We bought a townhouse  a long time ago that we had to renovate (still are)  but its top. Dead nice locals, all the Brits have fucked off and its just  sound. Loads for the kids to do and town/beach both not far. I even get lie ins.

gorefidel wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Just outside Granada, up in the hills about 3500ft up in a small village with a couple of bars.  We bought a townhouse  a long time ago that we had to renovate (still are)  but its top. Dead nice locals, all the Brits have fucked off and its just  sound. Loads for the kids to do and town/beach both not far. I even get lie ins.

By eck - I bet that gets a bit nippy in winter - beautiful part of the world though. We're about 2500ft up and that's bad enough at night time in winter. Fucking lovely in summer though - go back there every couple of weeks to catch up on some kip, something it's too hot to do in the flat in Alicante.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Djpekingman wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

By eck - I bet that gets a bit nippy in winter - beautiful part of the world though. We're about 2500ft up and that's bad enough at night time in winter. Fucking lovely in summer though - go back there every couple of weeks to catch up on some kip, something it's too hot to do in the flat in Alicante.

We put central heating in, cos yeah its nippy in winter. Just below the snow line but gets fucking freezing at night that time of year.

Also get a fair bit of wind off the mountains even this time of year now and then.  Like a hairdryer. big_smile

Just had a top week-end there. 

Stopped in Dillons guest house which I can't recommend highly enough.  Under new management and the service/attention to detail was awesome. Will try and get another trip in sometime over Christmas.

The "traditional" pubs that shut down everywhere else with apalling regularity seem to thrive there.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Went to Whitby again last weekend and again stopped at Dillons.....can't recommend the place too highly.

Whitby was ace, even though half the population of Middlesboro seemed to be there on the piss.

Also, significant overspill from the Pickering War weekend....all decked out in 40s garb.  Fellas in British & US army uniforms and demob suits, women with dead foxes around their shoulders etc

Going to Whitby on sunday, staying a week, anything that is a must and what to avoid? Will do exursions to Robin Hoods Bay and Scarborough. Into real ale and to moan about the weather a bit.

Blond perm and tash mob.

Malton is worth a wander over the moors.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Staithes
Robin Hoods Bay
Runswick Bay
http://www.walkingenglishman.com/northyorkshire14.htm NYork Moors waterfall walks.
http://www.forestry.gov.uk/dalbyforest Mountain biking if that's your thing.
http://www.peasholmpark.com/about/naval-warfare.html

Enjoy

Sands End. You'll need a Volvo. And Boden.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

A week? Day trip to Leeds.

I once cycled to Whitby.  It was a fucking long way !!

Stockholmian wrote:

Going to Whitby on sunday, staying a week, anything that is a must and what to avoid? Will do exursions to Robin Hoods Bay and Scarborough. Into real ale and to moan about the weather a bit.

This link may be of use;

http://www.whitby-town.com/pubguide.php

I like the front room of The Golden Lion, on the narrow, steep road immediately opposite the North Side of the bridge over the Esk.  The Real Ale types seem to flock to The Black Horse on Church Street,under the Abbey but inside, its the size of your average fridge.

As for avoiding;

The George Hotel - local chav haunt...very Ingerland on my last trip.

hendersonjones wrote:

gore these might help

http://www.chainbridgeriverside.com/ind … p;Itemid=1

http://www.jleewhitbypenthouse.co.uk/ht … tails.html

mate stayed in the boatloft first link said it was a fantastic place nice walk in to whitby the steam train runs by the apartment .

Also avoid The Dolphin on the South side of the bridge.....purely based on my last trip when it was full of an intimidating mob of Boro who were already pissed when they got off the train at midday...and that was just the women (I kid you not)

Full of gobshites everytime I've been. It gets nice from about 7pm.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Cuts wrote:

A week? Day trip to Leeds.

Will be in Leeds now on friday til sunday. A bit of Tour de Yorkshire and watching The Bad Shepards at the Garforth art and music festival.....:-)

Blond perm and tash mob.

Thanks for the links, looks promising. Apparently were staying at a place on, or just off church street, close to the black lion and a pie shop.

Blond perm and tash mob.

gore wrote:

Full of gobshites everytime I've been. It gets nice from about 7pm.

Nice place,but Geordie central last time I was there,which is always a sure sign a place has gone down the pan.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Just booked a cottage and tickets for the Whitby Goth Weekend

Relive my youth.......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.