Re: whitby

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Just booked a cottage and tickets for the Whitby Goth Weekend

Relive my youth.......

Got a Wetherspoons there now. Not bad - big enough anyway.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:

Relive my youth.......

It's  the old Angel.  Didn't  like it, was like a food pub with no atmosphere.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Were taking my lads cricket team to Boggle Hole YHA. Going to walk from Whitby to RHB finishing with fish and chips and a few pints while the kids run wild on the cliff tops. Did it last year, had a friendly at wykeham and one at Marine Road. Kids loved it getting changed in the county dressing room. Had the score on the big scoreboard.

placidcasual wrote:

Were taking my lads cricket team to Boggle Hole YHA. Going to walk from Whitby to RHB finishing with fish and chips and a few pints while the kids run wild on the cliff tops. Did it last year, had a friendly at wykeham and one at Marine Road. Kids loved it getting changed in the county dressing room. Had the score on the big scoreboard.

Christ on a bike - don't let social services see that one....

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

placidcasual wrote:

Never done Whitby to RHB but have done RHB to Whitby several times. Is it longer?

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Never done Whitby to RHB but have done RHB to Whitby several times. Is it longer?

Depends which way you go.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

heyho wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

It is in flip flops

heyho wrote:

Relive my youth.......

Just looking at a route from Twickenham and it's sending me M1,  M18,  M62,  A614,  A64,  A171,  A174.......

Would have thought it better to ton it up to York and cut across?

Any southern based OMJers done the drive before and,  if so,  your thoughts?

(260 miles and 5.5hrs.....)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Traffic bottle necks are on A64 just off York by pass and Malton by pass.

Less likely to hit traffic going Selby/Driffield from M18. Whatever way the countryside is lovely and makes for a lovely drive. The Wolds west of Brid are particulary beautiful and less busy as NY Moors. Can do a whistle stop tour of the Hockney sites he used for bigger picture.

placidcasual wrote:

Less likely to hit traffic going Selby/Driffield from M18. Whatever way the countryside is lovely and makes for a lovely drive. The Wolds west of Brid are particulary beautiful and less busy as NY Moors. Can do a whistle stop tour of the Hockney sites he used for bigger picture.

Cheers Placid - I'll follow your (and the AA Routemaster's) advice then

placidcasual wrote:

Cheers Placid - I'll follow your (and the AA Routemaster's) advice then

If I'm going to Staithes (which is about 9 miles north of Whitby) I go up the A1 and turn off towards Middlesbrough/Redcar - A66 the A171. I've done my  house (S'arth Leeds) to Staithes in about 1hr 20 (85 miles) at a steady 75/80 on the main roads. Won't entertain A64 especially with all those major roadworks going on.

"Well so could anyone"

http://www.yocc.co.uk/

Another route (I take this one home) is go over the moors via the hole of Holcrum and turn right at Pickering on the A170. The view from Sutton Bank across Vale of York is splendid. There's a really shit white horse on Sutton Bank at Kilburn which you can see from Otely Chevin on a clear winters day. Dont bother going to see it. Disappointing close up.

Got gliders off the top of Sutton bank, always reminds me of the Beatles and that Royal Airforce advert from the 70's.

This will bring you out at the A19 at Thirsk where you can hop on the A1 and all the way home.

By the way, there some bastard road works on the A1 south of Bedford Northbound if you decide to take that over M1.

I'll definitely be taking the M1 northbound although I did go through the Beford ones on Saturday due to a previous engagement.  The M1 is pretty shit down that way too

Good all the places you're suggesting but,  to be honest,  I'm after the quickest and least hassle way - 5.5hrs in a car is not my idea of fun.......

When you off if over end of May weekend, look for a party of 20 kids running wild with pissed dads in tow.

placidcasual wrote:

When you off if over end of May weekend, look for a party of 20 kids running wild with pissed dads in tow.

smile

It's 23rd April - 26th April;  there'll be lots of people in black running around pissed I suspect

Had a cracking weekend up there notwithstanding the shite weather

Can't pretend to remember too much about the music but the whole atmosphere of the weekend was fantastic and there was some wonderful outfits

Ended up going the M1,  M18,  A1,  A64 route and not a problem - made good time

Recommended if you're partial to a bit of goth music and a load of ale

Had a cracking weekend up there notwithstanding the shite weather

Can't pretend to remember too much about the music but the whole atmosphere of the weekend was fantastic and there was some wonderful outfits

Ended up going the M1,  M18,  A1,  A64 route and not a problem - made good time

Recommended if you're partial to a bit of goth music and a load of ale

Weren't Chameleons and that Sex Gang bloke playing?

"Well so could anyone"

Been to Whitby with Mrs SSK this weekend.  Enjoyed it as usual but the clientele in some of the boozers was distinctly "rum".  If there had been a match on in the town, there would have been a couple of police vans parked outside The Dolphin yesterday tea time.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Last weekend stayed in a campsite mid way between Staithes and Runswick Bay. Didn't venture into Runswick Bay, but Staithes is a lovely little place, totally different to Whitby. Nice quaint little town, with no where near as many knob heads as Whitby. Little one loved it, as some kids tv programme with Bernard cribbins is filmed here.

Had fish and chips from the Cod and Lobster by the harbour in Staithes last week. Would heartily recommend it. Best fish and chips I've had in ages. Cracking ale in there too. Nice bar maid with sublime bristols as well.

We stayed in Sandsend for the week. Loved it. Great place to take the kids. The Hart Inn there and the Sandside Cafe do lovely crab butties. "Whitby Whaler" is my new favourite real ale.

Cycled there from Seascale on Saturday.........was a fucking long way big_smile

Jesus!!!

171 miles? Which way you go?

Only 150 miles.   Over Hardknott and Wrynose, through Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors.   Took the easy route smile

Little Billy Bremner wrote:

Only 150 miles.   Over Hardknott and Wrynose, through Lake District, Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors.   Took the easy route smile

Puff!

That's some going - good website n all http://www.opencycling.com/coast-to-coast-in-a-day/

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Hardknott_climb.JPG/300px-Hardknott_climb.JPG