Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

There was a great letter in, I think, NME about Welsh people getting chined at gigs in Liverpool. The writer ended brilliantly with the line,'...still we got our own back on you eventually, we sent you The Alarm.'

Doug, did you go to a lot of New Order gigs?

I think Henderson with confirm, my heart sank a little bit when, after Bez thanked all his mates from Leeds for coming down to Factory in the Park, in the big tent on Finsbury Park and about 20 odd of us drunkenly cheered, Shaun grabbed the mike and thanked all the boys from Manchester for coming down also. We were stood in the middle of about a hundred cheering Mancs. I remember turning to my mate, who just happened to be a bit handy, good kick boxer and making a kind of Oh fuck! expression and him just laughing like fuck.

Great gig, bit of stage collapse when New Order were on. Barney asking everyone to step back and relax a bit. He was genuinely concerned people were getting hurt. Hooky piled into Age Of Consent saying something along the lines of, 'You're not gonna stand still to this are you?' In my estimation Barney went up Hooky went down.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Mon 21 Jun 2010 1:28 am)

Well that was fun.

The Jam-Deeside leisure center late 70's .scousers steamed to front battering anyone in the way, for some reason they thought all deeside was man u.Bouncers waded in with coshes.I was in the balcony watching the mayhem.Jam were average, sound was shit.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Cambridge Midsummer Common, 1980. Specials. Endless fights all night, Jerry Dammers threatening bouncers with mic stand. Sham 69 at some park in Dollis Hill, 1979. Constant fighting all day. Various early Madness gigs. King Kurt in Liverpool 1983/4?. Angelic Upstarts ?? crowd fights, then band join in. Mensi gets decked and toed around a bit. Come to think of it, most gigs 78-83 ended up in some kind of crowd violence. Every Two-tone gig I ever went to, and there were lots all over the country, ended with various degrees of violence. I came out of it alright, on refelction. Got my nose broken by a bouncer who was ejecting me from, I think, The Ramones, again in Cambridge, but he then got battered and I avoided ejection, so that was alright.

Don't tend to hear so much about mither at gigs these days - apart from the odd riot at the Leeds V festival.  Maybe it was just 80s Britain?.

Cuts - yes, done a fair few NO. Not as many as I would have liked to in the 80s, made it for up since 98.

Agree with Flashback about punk gigs, always some sort of scrap. Fortunately they could usually be avoided, especially if you were as young as I was!
Don't remember any fighting at Potty Park Specials gig, but the Walkers were roaming near the stage. Always amazed the guy who was writing NF on the fence near the band entrance survived, one of the Sheffield lot I think as they'd jumped on our float when they really should have been in Crossgates wink
Hip Hop gigs at Brixton could be fucking insane but more muggings, steaming etc as opposed to scraps. Strange that similar shows at Rock City were always pretty cool. Nights Kermit and that lot did in Manc were ok as well. Bloody cockneys.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Smutty Lips wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

But by far the worst I think I've seen was the Wedding Present at the Astoria on roundhay road. It was just completely mindless and constant and must have involved a hundred or more. Gedge would calm it down and within seconds of starting the next song it would kick off again. Absolutely deranged that one......

Pat? Gore? Bobby? Cuts?

One of them will fill us in with the details of what and why.

i was at that, got knocked out during the first song and carried into the dressing room. The weddoes came in shortly after and Gedge was wailing "the voilence, the violence".

Most violent gig would have been Springsteen in roundhay park, 1/2 hour pitched battle with a load of hells angels on hill sixty and then running mancs all the way back to the train station.

Took a bit of a beating at Pips in Mcr the night before R& R Buzzcocks gig by the moss side massive
Broke my mates leg
Sham 69 Reading festival 78 was a bit full on as well

Bradford Georges Hall big fight with Nazi punks from Leeds the Dentists someone was stabbed

The guy who ran Rock City was a big NF member apparently? he also ran Retford Porterhouse heard a story where he would't let the black bass player from UKDecay in till he found out he was in teh band

Last edited by soldierant (Mon 21 Jun 2010 6:19 pm)

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

For My Cuuuunnntreeee
Forgotten about them.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Cutsyke wrote:

There was a great letter in, I think, NME about Welsh people getting chined at gigs in Liverpool. The writer ended brilliantly with the line,'...still we got our own back on you eventually, we sent you The Alarm.'

Doug, did you go to a lot of New Order gigs?

I think Henderson with confirm, my heart sank a little bit when, after Bez thanked all his mates from Leeds for coming down to Factory in the Park, in the big tent on Finsbury Park and about 20 odd of us drunkenly cheered, Shaun grabbed the mike and thanked all the boys from Manchester for coming down also. We were stood in the middle of about a hundred cheering Mancs. I remember turning to my mate, who just happened to be a bit handy, good kick boxer and making a kind of Oh fuck! expression and him just laughing like fuck.

Great gig, bit of stage collapse when New Order were on. Barney asking everyone to step back and relax a bit. He was genuinely concerned people were getting hurt. Hooky piled into Age Of Consent saying something along the lines of, 'You're not gonna stand still to this are you?' In my estimation Barney went up Hooky went down.

ener

remember ryder coming on stage and shouting "people people people" and loads of whistles when acr came on , youre right about the stage front right hooky was generally concerned , bez was great mates with tobin at the time along with most of the east end park lads didnt they take him in to the starlight and he fucking loved it hmm , 1986 that mate yikes still got my ticket stub

Weren't The Public Enemy gigs at Brixton bad 'uns?

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

luxury_scruff wrote:

Oh yes!
First time I'd seen metal detectors and searches at a gig. The fact that half the mobs of proper urchins and raggamuffins coming in were allowed to dodge round them by 'security' didn't offer much comfort. They were some of the 'moodiest' events I've been to (Rasing Hell, Licenced to Ill tours).
Just getting to places on the tube back then could be a fucking nightmare. Went to see a mate's old man in Tuffnell Park back when it was mugging central.
All that and they had Derek fucking B opening up the second time round!

Did anybody nick that big pocket watch? Bastard to smuggle out I bet...

Lad on another forum went to one of the gigs and he said it was murder.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Saw some people with homemade ones...not very good ones either, if it's possible to have a 'good' alarm clock around your neck. Not forgetting the fucking VW badges!
The first tour wasn't as bad as the second but that could just be memory fading. There was a scrap of sorts when Derek B did his whole 'E.L.P.' thing (East London Posse not Emmerson Lake and Palmer), not reall the thing 'sarf of the river'.
People were getting robbed with knives all the way through LL Cool J's set. Security did fuck all. Seems the 'city' boys went after the 'Essex' and 'Kent' crews, which was fine by our particularly small West Yorkshire contingent wink
The tube station on the way home was the worst part of it.

I'd have been shit that night, with my little black Braun alarm clock trying to blend in.

Luminous and shit...

Travis Bickle wrote:
luxury_scruff wrote:

Oh yes!
First time I'd seen metal detectors and searches at a gig. The fact that half the mobs of proper urchins and raggamuffins coming in were allowed to dodge round them by 'security' didn't offer much comfort. They were some of the 'moodiest' events I've been to (Rasing Hell, Licenced to Ill tours).
Just getting to places on the tube back then could be a fucking nightmare. Went to see a mate's old man in Tuffnell Park back when it was mugging central.
All that and they had Derek fucking B opening up the second time round!

Tuffnel Park? When? I lived round there early/mid 80s and thought it was very civilised. Brixton wasn't bad either back then (provided you avoided Coldhabour lane) I have staggered round them off my head a few times and never been touched. Saw New Order there and tried to crash a lesbian all nighter there as well (cover got blown).

The estates were a bit different if you wandered off the main drag.

1988ish I think. Northern had a rep for 'steaming' or so we were told. There were coppers in all the stations.
Brixton may have been a walk in the park normally but when Public Enemy etc were on it wasn't. Seemed every fucking 'yoot' looking for trouble had come off those estates and wandered around looking for out of towners.

Brixton was my patch back in the 80's Didn't get any trouble personaly befond a bit of gesturing but i remember a mate getting stabbed in the head outside a pub near the barrier block .the "Front Line "Railton rd could be a bit of a mugger's paradice .
I alsways remember the 1st time i went to the benifits office in Brixton [not where you signed on the other one ] I walked in & there was metal grills over the cubicle windows ,steel doors it was really intimidating full of dealers from drigs to guns openly doing business .couldn't wait to get out of the place

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

metal grills over the cubicle windows ,steel doors  Sounds ace. a bit like The Strega.

Springsteen, you're not wrong. Got in a pretty big brawl with a few blokes, us little kids, me, Gav and Tobes, well out of our league but we had a go.

Bez and SMc came close to it in Scrumpies. He was a pretty nice bloke to be honest.

Well that was fun.

Remember the Wp/James gig at the Astoria being fairly bad inside. We got kicked out and then met up with everyone outside the chinese opposite the ffordey. Me and Dave H saw these kids who had started on us sneaking up on the other side of the road trying to make an exit. we've jogged over (the two of us) and are telling them that we're not right happy. Just then a tranny van pulls up and everyone charges over to us. Me and Dave are running back to the Chinese laughing our heads off with all these kids shouting threats behind us. Didn't end well for them, chop-sueyed and all sorts. We ended up hiding from the police in one of Eddie C's mates houses.

Also

The 4 Skins Brannigans

Sham 69 Bradford St Georges Hall

Blitz - some crappy club in Chorlton where Little Dean was spotted sieg hielling on stage and the Perry Boys were outside

James, Platt Fields gig

Monday night teenage discos in the merrion centre

listen up at the back

Violence at a James gig, i'd never have guessed it seriously.

Apart from the facist related stuff I never thought of trouble at concerts, that said by the time James was doing the rounds my concert going days were all but over.

That said I did once see Pulp's speaker stack nearly get knocked over by enthuiastic boppers at Halifax's North Bridge Leisure Centre - a Return Club venue.

Saw some band at a feastival once, just in a small tent, everyone was going mental... kicking and punching the s**t out of each other and throwing everyone around. I was buzzing on something so got stuck in and got cracked on the nose quite a few times. Afterwards, someone mentioned something about Keanu Reeves, the really terrible actor... I asked what they were on about, apparently it was his band. hmm I don't remember seeing him at all but perhaps the violence was a protest over his rubbish films rather than the music.

Also, the first 'proper' gig I went to at about 14/15 at the Garage in Highbury. I went to watch Backyard Babies, which was a pretty decent one except for the fact that I kept getting pushed towards this hench swetty lesbian with no top on, I don't know what she imagined I was going to do to her as she was twice the size of me but she'd just punch me and throw me back to the crowd, who then threw me back again, etc, etc.

It was my first lesbian encounter and yes, it's stayed in the 'bank' till this day.

Pat, it wasn't The Wedding Present at The Astoria, it was James, some band from Sheffield who did a decent Icicle Works impersonation and the Butter Cookies, at least two of whom post on here regularly.

James/Wedding Present was that places, Ritz's? , behind the Merrion. That was the one the power went out at.

Smutty, the James gig was a tad wild, Keenan had this stupid biker type bouncers who were been dicks and got chinned by a load of little kids in trainers and crew necks, mostly sporting mullets (except for Dave H who stuck with his Wedge and muzzie combo). Lovely fella wasn't he Pat? Met him the other year when I was home, still the same, doing his own thing.

Well that was fun.

Cutsyke wrote:

Pat, it wasn't The Wedding Present at The Astoria, it was James, some band from Sheffield who did a decent Icicle Works impersonation and the Butter Cookies, at least two of whom post on here regularly.

James/Wedding Present was that places, Ritz's? , behind the Merrion. That was the one the power went out at.

Smutty, the James gig was a tad wild, Keenan had this stupid biker type bouncers who were been dicks and got chinned by a load of little kids in trainers and crew necks, mostly sporting mullets (except for Dave H who stuck with his Wedge and muzzie combo). Lovely fella wasn't he Pat? Met him the other year when I was home, still the same, doing his own thing.

everyone was on the stage , i reckon james played only 3/4 songs that night , theres a bootleg tape somewhere of this gig

H, I think they did a pretty long set but it just kept getting more and more violent. I put this up on the James site the other year, there's a bit about it in there.

I got into James almost by default. I had a mate, Scottie, who bought every Factory release. He bought Folklore. Played it to me. I liked it. I bought Folkore. Another mate saw The Smiths at, I think, Doncaster said you've got to see this band James. Pure energy.

I used to go over to Manchester quite a bit with my old mate Scottie who went on to play bass in the Bridewell Taxis and later became a top DJ in the dance music scene in the north of England. Time Out or whatever the listings mag over there at the time had an add for James and The Railway Children at The Boardwalk for a Sunday afternoon a couple of weeks away. We rounded up the trops and a half dozen of us got the rattler over the Pennines into the land of perpetual rainfall. The gig, at the then rehearsal rooms, had sold out. Nice middlegaed bloke on the door let us in for two quid when we explained we'd just come over from Leeds for the gig. At the mention of 'Leeds' a small group of football types - a bit like ourselves actually- at the top of the stairs turned their heads. We walked up past this reprobates and came across Shaun and Bez and their chums for the first time. Nothing was said but we let onto each other knowingly. The Railway Children were on, going down well, all jingly jangly and very Postcard. I liked them at once. Bit of a shock to find no alcohol. We settled in with fruit juice and umbrellas, soaking wet after walking from Victoria. James came on and they were like nothing before, or since. They're a great band. Not my favorite, in fairness, but who else even sounds remotley like them?
We stood stage left to the front. A little gang. Tim looked our way regularly and smiled. He danced worse than me. I liked him. So unrock'n'roll in his big baggy jumper. Gavin, the drummer, was, I thought, a brilliant drummer. Wild, teetering on the edge of it all falling apart. The sounded raw. No one had a guitar sound like that. It sounded improvised yet focused. End of the gig Tim nodded, we nodded and fucked off back for our train.

They played the Riverside in Newcastle in '85, I went up with my mate Wayne and his bird. It didn't feel awkward, I'd know her as long as Wayne. Maybe longer and it was just three mates going to a gig. The Riverside was sold out and members only. Someone we met in The Barleycorn signed us in a nd we were away. Low stage expectant crowd - they'd been getting a bit of press and an endorsement from Morrisey which, at the time, wasn't considered a bad thing. It was a good gig, lots of wild dancing and drink. After the gig I managed to return a stolen guitar to the band and told myt mate not to nick guitars again. We got the last train down South, straight through Leeds and kipped in Doncaster train station.

Leeds Astoria. By now they were doing well, indy charts and a bit of press, 'The Next Big Thing. As my mate Dave was want to say,'There's a buzz on the band.' Half the football lads in East Leeds turned out for this one. James Brown fronted the excellent but short lived Butter Cookies a sort of Hank Williams meets Half Man Half Biscuit and gets the ale in type band as support. They went over quite well, the student/football crowd were mixing well and good night looked in the offing. Some band from Sheffield who sounded and indeed looked like The Icicle Works were on next and got everyone tapping their toes. By the time James took ther stage the ale had been flowing freely and, sadly, the local bikers who were doing security had been throwing their weight around. It was only a matter of time. It's hard to understand as the lads loved the band but the tention of some was directed at the band. Fights started and yes, some innocent students caught some shit. One biker got put through a cig machine face first and the gig almost collapsed. Tim and the boys battled on gamely. Ironically the music, such a frenzy sound tracked the violence. I was mad as hell, drunk and just let myself go, dancing like a loon. It was gonna end in tears. Keenan, the promoter grabbed me and threatened me with the bouncers if it didn't stop. To this day I have no idea why he grabbed me. At the time, these were my band, in my back yard. I was fucking pissed the way things were going. I got on stage grabbed Tim's mike and said if things didn't calm down the gig would end. Bit of a surprise for all concerned. Things calmed down - relative term. The band continued, getting lost in the music and producing a storming set. Maybe the tension in the air served as some kind of creative force? Whatever. Things came to a head with the drums going over, Tim saying, Thanks a lot Leeds it'll never happen again.' aand the boucers running for their lives. It got very hairy outside after, cars going over and running street fights. I saw Scottie talking to Tim after, upstairs, I smiled at him and shook my head. he responded the same. I've since challenged Kennan about his action that night and he said I stood out and he panicked. First and foremost I was and stil am a music fan. He didn't need the threats. Help me would have sufficed.
Inspite of everything it was a good gig. The Jesus And Mary Chain had contrived riots those veggie munching Mancs had the real deals.

Some Arts festival Manchester Town Hall. James came on after the abridged version of Wuthering Heights - Cathy. Heathcliff . But before the sword swallower. Me and Aidie had seen Edwyn Collins the night before at The Boardwalk and kipped on a bench outside the G-Mexx. We me Scottie Murph and Wuggie around dinner time. Me and Aidie got suck into the veggie snap and chatted to some birds about fuck knows what. Surreal band taking you places you'd never go. I loved them. Said sorry to them for the Astoria sketch but explained that those lads loved the band. It was one of those things.

The thing that will never happen again happened again. A tacky nightclub round the back of the Merrion Centre saw James return to Leeds. Mick - singer with the Bridewells, their Carl and a couple of other local boys hurtled into the car park as the band left their tour bus, hand brake turn and smashed the car into the building wall sending white stones flying everywhere. Everyone climbs out the passenger side door laughing, high and drunk, as the Mancunian entorage go drip white. What a night. The Wedding Present support and go down well. It's the same football/student crowd. This lad I know from Jumbo records DJs from time to time old 60s stuff and Creation label bands, he's here with his Roger McGuinn fringe getting off on all the crew necks semi flares and Adidas trainers. Apparentley, we can't like music because we like football. The irony is not lost years later when every half decent band appears to take their cues from the terraces.
A tentative start. Tim acknowleging the faces in the crowd. A chant of Para Dave goes up as it becomes apparent that a well known local football hooligan bears a strong resemblance to a certain band member. Things are going well. No bikers. Everyone's singing along. It's a happy crowd. I don't see Kennan but I'd love to tell him,'See when you don't put goons in front of us, we're civilized.

PPhhtt. the power goes off. What now? They can't get it going. How willthis crowd react? They react well. Sit Down becomes a calming mantra. Larry on slide and Tim pushing his arms downward. People are sitting down. It goes well. It goes very well. No violence, no riots. Improvised show turns out better than any dared hope.

I might have seen them again at the Poly or Uni or somewhere but, like a lot of us, that time is a bit of a blur. Any way they got big, very fucking big. They got rid of Gavin and got slicker, they got Andy Diagram from the excellent Palies in and the sound grew. They got keyboards. They got stadium rock big. I stuck with Andy's exband mates Shack. I was happy when I saw James on TOTPs. I knew how hard they'd worked.

I moved to America. I played the CDs which, in fairness belonged to my wife. I heard they'd split up.

I heard they were back together. I heard they were playing The Stone Pony. We pass it during the summer when we take the kids to Avon-By-The-Sea. I got tickets. We were having a rare night out. We dropped the kids in New York at Grandmas and set off-

Stone Pony. Excellent, excellent place. Guitars all over the walls, strings of red chilli light bulbs here there and everywhere, bar in an awkward spot, long narrow venue with the stage to the side, rather than at the end. Everyone's close to the stage. Low ceilings, black paint, whirling fans and you expect Adriene to be serving ice cold Buds or (yes they really had it) Tetleys as Christopher looks on.

Got there about 9:15, parked up, bit of a chat with a cop about the new meters. Sounds like they're on already. Yep. So me and Mrs C are stood right in the door. Capacity 600. I think 598 of them knew what time to get there. Sea breeze at our backs. Tim's obviously feeling it too if his wool hat's anything to go by. A bit mad, we're more at the side of the stage, behind the monitors and can barely hear the vocals. Music's good though. Actually, the music's great. They're playing new stuff, which, I don't know. Some of the crowd do and sing along. Except for the two Jersey Girls and, presumably, by the looks of things, one of them's boyfriend. in front of us who talk. Talk very fucking loudly about what a great time they're having. A great time while ruining it for everyone else who's actually come to see a good band.

Tim gets a bit pissed slamming the mike down and pleading with the sound engineer. It doesn't make much difference. Hard to understand as the instruments are note perfect and crystal clear. It's like listening to The Shadows cover James. Andy's trumpet blasts through, they double up on drummers on occasion and, even though you can't see him from our vantage point, you get the feeling there's a bass player up there.

Ring The Bells was the first one I actually know. Not a real fan then John? Not for 20 odd years. No. Even the Jersey Girls ( the sort you hope your daughters don't grow up to be like - they won't) shut the fuck up and sing along and dance. They look like they're enjoying themselves up there. The bar back keeps pushing past us with fresh supplies of ale and I'm getting the odd goose pimple from the breeze wafting in. Still can't really hear the vocals. Catch a bit about Soldiers coming home in body bags during one new song. Musically, it's as good as any of the old ones.

Bit of a chat about getting hit by lightning, something about Harry Potter scars? Sometimes is a sing- along that has everyone feeling warm and fuzzy. Laid get's them all going mental. It's in loads of movies isn't it? Larry stops playing and takes a few snaps of the crowd. I screw my face up as he points the camera in our direction.

They come back on for the encore only Tim's off far side in amongst the crowd singing and seemingly very happy doing so. Everyone on stage sports a big smile except Andy. Then again I bet it's had to smile and play trumpet at times. They're running out of time and, this is fucking nice if you ask me, they ask what song the crowd want.

Inevitably, it's Sit Down. I'm sure it's tradition now but halfway through they stop playing and just take in the sight of the whole audience singing along. Must be amazing to write a song and have it taken to a level like that. One advantage of been last in, first out. Tim and Andy have the same idea too, they're straight on the bus as we head to our motor. Good night out, great great band. Hard to understand how there was no headline show in New York on this tour but it's good to see someone this good at the famed Jersey Shore venue. Next gig here? Motorhead. Fuck knows what they'll make of the sound.

Well that was fun.