Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Cuts, you really should write a book.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Yes you're right Cuts WP was the Ritzy, as I remember that was a three header -who was the other band?

A slight twist on the violent gig - does antbody remember when for a couple of years if a big rocker band was playing at the Queens Hall straight after a Leeds game significant numbers of the Leeds lot would go hunting groups in denim jackets and patches?

Last edited by patslaughter (Sat 26 Jun 2010 9:48 pm)

listen up at the back

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

patslaughter wrote:

Yes you're right Cuts WP was the Astoria, as I remember that was a three header -who was the other band?

A slight twist on the violent gig - does antbody remember when for a couple of years if a big rocker band was playing at the Queens Hall straight after a Leeds game significant numbers of the Leeds lot would go hunting groups in denim jackets and patches?

Yeah. A saxon gig springs to mind. They played the Queens Hall - 81 ish. The time of mods who got the bus with a helmet to pretend they had a scooter, green flying jackets, war with the black lads - into this maelstrom wanders a load of denim clad smellies (very Sheff Wed) wandering round playing air guitar and thinking they were Hells Angels.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

gorefidel wrote:
patslaughter wrote:

Yes you're right Cuts WP was the Astoria, as I remember that was a three header -who was the other band?

A slight twist on the violent gig - does antbody remember when for a couple of years if a big rocker band was playing at the Queens Hall straight after a Leeds game significant numbers of the Leeds lot would go hunting groups in denim jackets and patches?

Yeah. A saxon gig springs to mind. They played the Queens Hall - 81 ish. The time of mods who got the bus with a helmet to pretend they had a scooter, green flying jackets, war with the black lads - into this maelstrom wanders a load of denim clad smellies (very Sheff Wed) wandering round playing air guitar and thinking they were Hells Angels.

At the end of the season all of that became more confused when the football lads were at a loose end and would have to choose which of the music subcultures to join. Different music shops used to have different gangs hanging outside, and then once was there was a critical mass they would all march up to another one looking for a different mob. I remember being with the 'two-tone' mob outside the HMV (the Walker brothers et al) and they marched up to the Black Lion to 'get some nazis', and I'm thinking that regardless of political correctness this might not be a healthy move re next season. The 'mods' always seemed to come off worse, esp around the merrion centre. Gore's right, there were plenty who had helmets and no scooters, but I still remember quite a few bikes getting set on fire.

listen up at the back

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Depends which group you're on about I think Pat. The actual NF used to hang around the Prince and the Gemini. Most of them were weird, not trusted and blew it completely when they all teamed up with Citeh and started going over there. The Black Lion was just idiots who were casually rascist (unless it was a black lad they were mates with), but had gone to war with the Thursday and Saturday night 'mixed' nights at the precinct. I think saying they were into any particular 'musical movement' was bit optimistic. It kind of went - Smellies generally outside Leeds (smack), Black lads not allowed in town (smack), NF - if they got too uppity (smack), and then it was pick on the coach lot who no one really liked. If none of them were up for it - or the rugby players - then it would split by areas (in Leeds) or just anyone who said the wrong thing.

I think you lot were more musically orientated.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

patslaughter wrote:

Yes you're right Cuts WP was the Ritzy, as I remember that was a three header -who was the other band?

A slight twist on the violent gig - does antbody remember when for a couple of years if a big rocker band was playing at the Queens Hall straight after a Leeds game significant numbers of the Leeds lot would go hunting groups in denim jackets and patches?

Quadruple header, Bodines & The Rose of Avalance

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

gorefidel wrote:

Depends which group you're on about I think Pat. The actual NF used to hang around the Prince and the Gemini. Most of them were weird, not trusted and blew it completely when they all teamed up with Citeh and started going over there. The Black Lion was just idiots who were casually rascist (unless it was a black lad they were mates with), but had gone to war with the Thursday and Saturday night 'mixed' nights at the precinct. I think saying they were into any particular 'musical movement' was bit optimistic. It kind of went - Smellies generally outside Leeds (smack), Black lads not allowed in town (smack), NF - if they got too uppity (smack), and then it was pick on the coach lot who no one really liked. If none of them were up for it - or the rugby players - then it would split by areas (in Leeds) or just anyone who said the wrong thing.

I think you lot were more musically orientated.

One of my earliest memories about going out in Leeds on a Saturday night is the mobs who used to go from pub to pub just before closing time getting more numbers together to wait for the black lads coming out of the Precinct at closing time. I can't help but laugh when students tell me that things are now more reacist than they have ever been. Fucking hell - the Precinct was the only place that black lads in numbers could go to then, and when they came out they were met by the Leeds branch of the Ku Klux Clan. Remember the British Movement leafletting outside our school, and that was fairly mixed, 'Did 6 million really die?' sticks in the mind

listen up at the back

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

patslaughter wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Depends which group you're on about I think Pat. The actual NF used to hang around the Prince and the Gemini. Most of them were weird, not trusted and blew it completely when they all teamed up with Citeh and started going over there. The Black Lion was just idiots who were casually rascist (unless it was a black lad they were mates with), but had gone to war with the Thursday and Saturday night 'mixed' nights at the precinct. I think saying they were into any particular 'musical movement' was bit optimistic. It kind of went - Smellies generally outside Leeds (smack), Black lads not allowed in town (smack), NF - if they got too uppity (smack), and then it was pick on the coach lot who no one really liked. If none of them were up for it - or the rugby players - then it would split by areas (in Leeds) or just anyone who said the wrong thing.

I think you lot were more musically orientated.

One of my earliest memories about going out in Leeds on a Saturday night is the mobs who used to go from pub to pub just before closing time getting more numbers together to wait for the black lads coming out of the Precinct at closing time. I can't help but laugh when students tell me that things are now more reacist than they have ever been. Fucking hell - the Precinct was the only place that black lads in numbers could go to then, and when they came out they were met by the Leeds branch of the Ku Klux Clan. Remember the British Movement leafletting outside our school, and that was fairly mixed, 'Did 6 million really die?' sticks in the mind

Leeds was segregated back then. The racism was casual and not really thought about. Me included. When I was a kid, Roundhay Road/Harehills Lane was a dividing line - the black lads never came over to the Harehills side and we never went over . There was one black kid at our junior school in Harehills and I don't remember a single one at the middle school in Burmantofts.  Nothing to do with the NF or BNP. Just didn't mix at all. Very few asians round Harehills then, so the divide was like a wall. If we went up Potternewton Park there'd be a taxing attempt, if they tried Roundhay Park or Harehills Park...same the other way round.

In town, the only pub that had black lads in was the precinct. Town was seen as off limits for them. Thats what started it. They were just another area, but one all the other areas hated more than they hated one another. In some ways the loons in the NF being so extreme brought it all to ahead and made everyone - the Paddys/Jews/Italians and the rest who wouldn't mix with the black lads question it all. You lot mixed more, but the Strega was the furthest most of the older lot would mix and the Fforde was segregated for long time in the 80s.

How anyone can say its more racist these days is beyond me. They can't begin to reconcile the two periods.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

gorefidel wrote:
patslaughter wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Depends which group you're on about I think Pat. The actual NF used to hang around the Prince and the Gemini. Most of them were weird, not trusted and blew it completely when they all teamed up with Citeh and started going over there. The Black Lion was just idiots who were casually rascist (unless it was a black lad they were mates with), but had gone to war with the Thursday and Saturday night 'mixed' nights at the precinct. I think saying they were into any particular 'musical movement' was bit optimistic. It kind of went - Smellies generally outside Leeds (smack), Black lads not allowed in town (smack), NF - if they got too uppity (smack), and then it was pick on the coach lot who no one really liked. If none of them were up for it - or the rugby players - then it would split by areas (in Leeds) or just anyone who said the wrong thing.

I think you lot were more musically orientated.

One of my earliest memories about going out in Leeds on a Saturday night is the mobs who used to go from pub to pub just before closing time getting more numbers together to wait for the black lads coming out of the Precinct at closing time. I can't help but laugh when students tell me that things are now more reacist than they have ever been. Fucking hell - the Precinct was the only place that black lads in numbers could go to then, and when they came out they were met by the Leeds branch of the Ku Klux Clan. Remember the British Movement leafletting outside our school, and that was fairly mixed, 'Did 6 million really die?' sticks in the mind

Leeds was segregated back then. The racism was casual and not really thought about. Me included. When I was a kid, Roundhay Road/Harehills Lane was a dividing line - the black lads never came over to the Harehills side and we never went over . There was one black kid at our junior school in Harehills and I don't remember a single one at the middle school in Burmantofts.  Nothing to do with the NF or BNP. Just didn't mix at all. Very few asians round Harehills then, so the divide was like a wall. If we went up Potternewton Park there'd be a taxing attempt, if they tried Roundhay Park or Harehills Park...same the other way round.

In town, the only pub that had black lads in was the precinct. Town was seen as off limits for them. Thats what started it. They were just another area, but one all the other areas hated more than they hated one another. In some ways the loons in the NF being so extreme brought it all to ahead and made everyone - the Paddys/Jews/Italians and the rest who wouldn't mix with the black lads question it all. You lot mixed more, but the Strega was the furthest most of the older lot would mix and the Fforde was segregated for long time in the 80s.

How anyone can say its more racist these days is beyond me. They can't begin to reconcile the two periods.

Gore do you remember the Walkers , in particular Leaford 'no neck' Walker. Didn't him and Ricky have some memorable run ins? Heard that Leaford is now doing life.

listen up at the back

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

I moved to London in late 83 and by 85 had pretty much lost touch with a lot  Leeds lads in the crew I used to run with - apart from the Seacroft lot and lads who were Donny/Stockton and LD the swimming instructor (he'd moved down as well)  - but Ricky was much more with younger lot by then (84). Always seemed a bit odd that, everyone was a lot younger and never saw what he'd have in common. I can't remember him or any of us being out looking for anyone based on colour or having much of grudge thing going on. The name of the lad your on about doesn't ring a bell, although that means fuck all. It was more if it was on offer, then everyone would go for it. No one was much into the NF or having a pop up at the Precinct that much, although sometimes in passing we'd stumble into it. Its was just out on the piss and stumbling from one shithole to the next

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Leeds was very segregated. The Precinct was pretty much football lads by the time I started drinking, except for that bloke who used to sell socks, Sinbad and Glinie who used to come round with us.
Saturdays after the season ended were wild with black/white fighting in town.
I always thought it was a shame. I couldn't give a toss what the colour of your skin is. There's plenty of white people I don't like. Imagine thecrew Leeds would have had if the black guys from Chapeltown had gone to the games? Been mental wouldn't it.

I remember the name Leaford Walker. I remember Trevor and Raymond Yorke been a bit handy too.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Leaford and Ste Walker. Weren't 'The Walkers' in Sounds or NME?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

WAsn't the Lloyd the big NF boozer... Seem to remember avoiding the place like the plague after one visit. Atmosphere you could cut with a chainsaw.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Cutsyke wrote:

Leeds was very segregated. The Precinct was pretty much football lads by the time I started drinking, except for that bloke who used to sell socks, Sinbad and Glinie who used to come round with us.
Saturdays after the season ended were wild with black/white fighting in town.
I always thought it was a shame. I couldn't give a toss what the colour of your skin is. There's plenty of white people I don't like. Imagine thecrew Leeds would have had if the black guys from Chapeltown had gone to the games? Been mental wouldn't it.

I remember the name Leaford Walker. I remember Trevor and Raymond Yorke been a bit handy too.

In Lindholme I was convinced that Trevor Yorke was stealing Mars bars from my drawer so I told him he was banned from the cell........He won the fight quite easily. We became good friends after that

listen up at the back

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

The Whip was a horrible NF type pub. Raffs was on remand, they had him mopping up some corridors. Someone had told him it was the sex cases on that win. Turns out it was all the real barmy bastards who 'd been acting up inside. He's mopping away banging the doors shout beast and sex case and shit like that, then hje hears, I'll fucking kill you Raffs I'm no fucking sex case. One of The Yorkes apparently.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

New Order at St Georges Hall in Blackburn, January 1985.

Blackburn and Preston skins locked horns and the place erupted. It was like a wild west saloon. Later on somebody threw a can of coke at Barney, which hit him on the shoulder. They left the stage for a bit, but came back on, Barney still with the can of coke in hand. For the rest of the set he kept picking it up and feigning to throw it at the crowd.

There was a big off outside the venue as well, with lads holding heads together and mopping up blood with T shirts. Lots of evidence that Mr stanley had been in the area. No OB about so it was a free for all.

Section 25 supported.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Remember going to Finsbury Park for New Order/Mondays/Acr/Railway Children. We had a decent crew the Mancs a better one. That Blackburn lot were down. One of our lot was like,'Do you lot want autographs?' One of them said yes. About half a dozen of them walked off with Tommy wrote on there T Shirts and Leeds9

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

*Starts to unpick Blackburn Rovers/AFC Darwen half and half ski hat*

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

whyIoughta wrote:

New Order at St Georges Hall in Blackburn, January 1985.

Blackburn and Preston skins locked horns and the place erupted. It was like a wild west saloon. Later on somebody threw a can of coke at Barney, which hit him on the shoulder. They left the stage for a bit, but came back on, Barney still with the can of coke in hand. For the rest of the set he kept picking it up and feigning to throw it at the crowd.

There was a big off outside the venue as well, with lads holding heads together and mopping up blood with T shirts. Lots of evidence that Mr stanley had been in the area. No OB about so it was a free for all.

Section 25 supported.

King Georges Hall springy dance floor up the stairs ?

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

whyIoughta wrote:

*Starts to unpick Blackburn Rovers/AFC Darwen half and half ski hat*

I didn't know Darwin was into football?
You learn something new everyday

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

soldierant wrote:
whyIoughta wrote:

New Order at St Georges Hall in Blackburn, January 1985.

Blackburn and Preston skins locked horns and the place erupted. It was like a wild west saloon. Later on somebody threw a can of coke at Barney, which hit him on the shoulder. They left the stage for a bit, but came back on, Barney still with the can of coke in hand. For the rest of the set he kept picking it up and feigning to throw it at the crowd.

There was a big off outside the venue as well, with lads holding heads together and mopping up blood with T shirts. Lots of evidence that Mr stanley had been in the area. No OB about so it was a free for all.

Section 25 supported.

King Georges Hall springy dance floor up the stairs ?

SA, you got me thinking with that question. It wasn't the Kings Hall at all. It was the return leg at Preston Guildhall where the fracas took place, not sure what month it was; nippy outside though.

Drat those aluminium pans that me Mam used to cook in.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

The Meteors in Middlesbrough around 87/88.

Usual sort of going mental inside but there was a huge reception committe of Boro outside afterwards and it kicked off big style.  fighting started outside the Town hall and stretched all the way to North Ormesby!!!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

The Meteors in Middlesbrough around 87/88.

Usual sort of going mental inside but there was a huge reception committe of Boro outside afterwards and it kicked off big style.  fighting started outside the Town hall and stretched all the way to North Ormesby!!!

That's what you call a fucking scrap!

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

whyIoughta wrote:
soldierant wrote:
whyIoughta wrote:

New Order at St Georges Hall in Blackburn, January 1985.

Blackburn and Preston skins locked horns and the place erupted. It was like a wild west saloon. Later on somebody threw a can of coke at Barney, which hit him on the shoulder. They left the stage for a bit, but came back on, Barney still with the can of coke in hand. For the rest of the set he kept picking it up and feigning to throw it at the crowd.

There was a big off outside the venue as well, with lads holding heads together and mopping up blood with T shirts. Lots of evidence that Mr stanley had been in the area. No OB about so it was a free for all.

Section 25 supported.

King Georges Hall springy dance floor up the stairs ?

SA, you got me thinking with that question. It wasn't the Kings Hall at all. It was the return leg at Preston Guildhall where the fracas took place, not sure what month it was; nippy outside though.

Drat those aluminium pans that me Mam used to cook in.

October 1985

Was this the set of Blackburn lads who followed New Order and Joy Division everywhere and were somewhat pandered to by the band?

Share

Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Could be right. New order were always terribly attired as well.

Share