Re: Most Violent Gig you've been to

Travis Bickle wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

The Meteors in Middlesbrough around 87/88.

Usual sort of going mental inside but there was a huge reception committe of Boro outside afterwards and it kicked off big style.  fighting started outside the Town hall and stretched all the way to North Ormesby!!!

That's what you call a fucking scrap!

Little pockets of fighting all the way.  Even the #63 bus driver wouldn't stop and he was used to some right fucking rough stuff of a weekend (mostly from corned-beef legged fat slags if I'm honest)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

whyIoughta wrote:
soldierant wrote:
whyIoughta wrote:

New Order at St Georges Hall in Blackburn, January 1985.

Blackburn and Preston skins locked horns and the place erupted. It was like a wild west saloon. Later on somebody threw a can of coke at Barney, which hit him on the shoulder. They left the stage for a bit, but came back on, Barney still with the can of coke in hand. For the rest of the set he kept picking it up and feigning to throw it at the crowd.

There was a big off outside the venue as well, with lads holding heads together and mopping up blood with T shirts. Lots of evidence that Mr stanley had been in the area. No OB about so it was a free for all.

Section 25 supported.

King Georges Hall springy dance floor up the stairs ?

SA, you got me thinking with that question. It wasn't the Kings Hall at all. It was the return leg at Preston Guildhall where the fracas took place, not sure what month it was; nippy outside though.

Drat those aluminium pans that me Mam used to cook in.

only two places i went for gigs in Preston was the wearhouse down the side of a church i think & a place at the uni If i remember rightly it was like a huge lecture theatre with seats all around the venue With  the danceflloor in front of the seats with the stage in front  .Think we have have had some trouble with Skins at that gig TOH & SDC

Last edited by soldierant (Fri 15 Oct 2010 11:12 pm)

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Usual sort of going mental inside but there was a huge reception committe of Boro outside afterwards and it kicked off big style.  fighting started outside the Town hall and stretched all the way to North Ormesby!!!

Little pockets of fighting all the way.  Even the #63 bus driver wouldn't stop and he was used to some right fucking rough stuff of a weekend (mostly from corned-beef legged fat slags if I'm honest)

I would imagine that the people following the Meteors by then were the Kattle crew who i think a lot of them were German pychobillys ?

soldierant wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I would imagine that the people following the Meteors by then were the Kattle crew who i think a lot of them were German pychobillys ?

Kattle were in evidence but not really involved outside - they were pretty mental inside though (as usual)

soldierant wrote:

Kattle were in evidence but not really involved outside - they were pretty mental inside though (as usual)

You mean like hitler and goering and rommel and that lot?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Travis Bickle wrote:

Not a native but my old man is from the Boro (Cannon Street) and Mum from Stockton. Still have family on Overfields, rest are scattered all over.
Had some right nights out, the Bongo being a fave wink

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

whyIoughta wrote:
soldierant wrote:
whyIoughta wrote:

New Order at St Georges Hall in Blackburn, January 1985.

Blackburn and Preston skins locked horns and the place erupted. It was like a wild west saloon. Later on somebody threw a can of coke at Barney, which hit him on the shoulder. They left the stage for a bit, but came back on, Barney still with the can of coke in hand. For the rest of the set he kept picking it up and feigning to throw it at the crowd.

There was a big off outside the venue as well, with lads holding heads together and mopping up blood with T shirts. Lots of evidence that Mr stanley had been in the area. No OB about so it was a free for all.

Section 25 supported.

SA, you got me thinking with that question. It wasn't the Kings Hall at all. It was the return leg at Preston Guildhall where the fracas took place, not sure what month it was; nippy outside though.

Nearly replied to your earlier post, as wasn`t sure if there was another bad one in Blackburn.

Never been a New Order fan but got a mate from Bolton (Horwich) met him Sept `85, he went to see them with his bird Preston late `85 or early `86, said it was mad. The hall divided and it was Mancs v Scousers. Think he was upstairs.

________________________________________________________________________________

whyIoughta wrote:

Could be right. New order were always terribly attired as well.

That's a bit harsh!;)

Hook's German U boat captain look was always popular.

Mind you in Miss Gilbert they did feature the world's most unlikely looking pop star.

Along with Tracey Thorn.

Site stalwart.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/4314046/Maureen+Tucker+motuck.jpg

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Djpekingman wrote:
soldierant wrote:

You mean like hitler and goering and rommel and that lot?

There favourite Manouveur was Blitzkrieg

soldierant wrote:

Probably a lot of macho posturing going on

Travis Bickle wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

Not a native but my old man is from the Boro (Cannon Street) and Mum from Stockton. Still have family on Overfields, rest are scattered all over.

I was in Stockton last Sept for the boro punks Rock Garden reunion I couldn't believe how they's transformed part of Stockton It was great There's hope for Bradford yet

soldierant wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

I was in Stockton last Sept for the boro punks Rock Garden reunion I couldn't believe how they's transformed part of Stockton It was great There's hope for Bradford yet

Did my degree in Boro hence I know it well.  Lived on Overfields for the first term,  small world!  Spent most of my time on Portman Street behind KwikSave.  The Bongo was always an interesting night.......along with The Masham

You ever go to the Speakeasy RHS? One of my uncles ran it for a while.

Travis Bickle wrote:

I used to be in there all the time.  I remember the first week at Tees Poly and I was given a list of places in Boro students shouldn't venture.  I think I'd done most of them in the first 2 weeks - first smack received in the Boro Fish Bar after a session in The Empire on Linthorpe Road.

Seem to remember him putting on a load of reggae nights with sound systems travelling from all over. Boro's never been the first place that would spring to mind for a bit of dub like wink

Travis Bickle wrote:

Seem to remember him putting on a load of reggae nights with sound systems travelling from all over. Boro's never been the first place that would spring to mind for a bit of dub like wink

Around the time I was there ('87 to '91) there was a great club scene going on.  The Havana,  although not my scene,  was always rammed with people and rumour had it that folk came from all over the place to sample it's delights.

I was more of a Belmont and Blaises bloke to be honest with the occasional trip to Havana's on a Tuesday night after spirits promotion in the Union bar....

Travis Bickle wrote:

Around the time I was there ('87 to '91) there was a great club scene going on.  The Havana,  although not my scene,  was always rammed with people and rumour had it that folk came from all over the place to sample it's delights.

I was more of a Belmont and Blaises bloke to be honest with the occasional trip to Havana's on a Tuesday night after spirits promotion in the Union bar....

Old punk Mate Stevie Hewitt djed at the Havana with his mate dj Adam .
Adam was a class house dj

Travis Bickle wrote:

I used to be in there all the time.  I remember the first week at Tees Poly and I was given a list of places in Boro students shouldn't venture.  I think I'd done most of them in the first 2 weeks - first smack received in the Boro Fish Bar after a session in The Empire on Linthorpe Road.

Typical 'boro. Knocking out hard drugs under the guise of a chip shop! wink

Djpekingman wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

big_smile  that's not too far from the truth if I'm honest......

Djpekingman wrote:

big_smile  that's not too far from the truth if I'm honest......

As well as 99's, my mate's brother used to sell hash from his ice-cream van in Wolverhampton. (Though not as an ice-cream flavour. Things were not so gastronomically advanced in the 80s).

I guess that this sort of thing went on (not least in Wolverhampton) will not come as a great revelation to many of this forum's members.

The Boundary bar on Leith walk in Edinburgh did used to sell smack over the bar. Bizarre place - in the old days at 10:30pm everybody used to cross the boundary which was marked across the middle of the pub from Edinburgh into Leith for an extra half hour's drinking. Got more than it's fair share of bizarre boozers has Edinburgh. Another guy I know up there used to sell Charlie from his black cab.

zicoslovechild wrote:
whyIoughta wrote:
soldierant wrote:

Nearly replied to your earlier post, as wasn`t sure if there was another bad one in Blackburn.

Never been a New Order fan but got a mate from Bolton (Horwich) met him Sept `85, he went to see them with his bird Preston late `85 or early `86, said it was mad. The hall divided and it was Mancs v Scousers. Think he was upstairs.

Your mate's bang on, the place did split in two. I was downstairs (I didn't know it had an upstairs) with me bird at the time a little worse for wear. It's all coming back now...The deal was that I drove there, got hammered and she drove back. This plan was going great until we got back to the car when she realised that she'd forgotten her glasses. What a nightmare 30 mile drive home that was. We figured it was better the two of everything that I saw was better than the fuck all that she could see. So she steered and worked the pedals while I told her which way to go and what traffic was approaching etc.

I always thought is was Blackburn v Preston, but Mancs v Scousers sounds just as feasible. I seem to remember a couple of the casualties outside had strong Lancs accents, but they could well have been caught in the crossfire.

I struggled to remember most of this, but I could instantly tell you what I was wearing on that night.  roll

Cutsyke wrote:

There was a great letter in, I think, NME about Welsh people getting chined at gigs in Liverpool. The writer ended brilliantly with the line,'...still we got our own back on you eventually, we sent you The Alarm.'

Doug, did you go to a lot of New Order gigs?

I think Henderson with confirm, my heart sank a little bit when, after Bez thanked all his mates from Leeds for coming down to Factory in the Park, in the big tent on Finsbury Park and about 20 odd of us drunkenly cheered, Shaun grabbed the mike and thanked all the boys from Manchester for coming down also. We were stood in the middle of about a hundred cheering Mancs. I remember turning to my mate, who just happened to be a bit handy, good kick boxer and making a kind of Oh fuck! expression and him just laughing like fuck.

Great gig, bit of stage collapse when New Order were on. Barney asking everyone to step back and relax a bit. He was genuinely concerned people were getting hurt. Hooky piled into Age Of Consent saying something along the lines of, 'You're not gonna stand still to this are you?' In my estimation Barney went up Hooky went down.

The Alarm are playing O2 London and Glasgow next yMay if anyone's interested

I'll be off to the London one

(couldn't find a 'The Alarm' thread specifically so i thought I'd use a long dead thread that might come to life again!)