Topic: Yorkshire Dales

Off to the Dales for a week with the Mrs on Friday, any reccommendations for things to see/do/eat drink?
We are staying just outside Hawes and will probably do the well trodden things we've done before like Malham and Richmond etc.
Mentioned on a another thread but anyone done the Black Sheep or Theakstons brewery tours in Masham? Worth going for a look?

Cheers in advance.

Re: Yorkshire Dales

I have never done the brewery but i can't imagine for one minute why it would not be worth doing. 

I'm looking for a family frienly camp site in the dales for August BH.  Appreciate any recommendations.  Got to be remote and got to have decent play ground.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

I have never done the brewery but i can't imagine for one minute why it would not be worth doing. 

I'm looking for a family frienly camp site in the dales for August BH.  Appreciate any recommendations.  Got to be remote and got to have decent play ground.

Look at Goredal Scar camp site. Very basic (but with showers/toilets). Scenery is amongst the best around. And very, very remote. Family freindly - well the the fields and moors around it are the playground. There's a stream that runs through it, great for paddling.

And a 5 minute walk to the actual Goredale Scar is an awesome experience.

There's also a camp site at Malham village (one at the top towards the cover). Advantage is that it is only a short walk to a couple pubs. Downside is the pubs are, in season, full of tourists and 'professional' walkers who are some of the most boring cunts out.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Knock yersen out. Masons at Appletreewick is supposed to be good. Across the road from a pub too.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/resul … 0Yorkshire

Better book early though its murder trying to get in anywhere on spec on bh weekend.

Looking forward to heading up to the dales for a bit of time later on this year.  My brother is getting married in Penrith in August so me and the wife are heading up through the countryside for a bit of a scenic trip.  She is from Lincolnshire so would not know a hill if it bit her on the arse.

Really looking forward to retreading through some of the old places we went as kids, Malham Cove and the Limestone pavement, Janet's Foss, the Ribblehead Viaduct etc.

On the way home from Penrith, we'll head through the Lakes and see a bit of that countryside.  All new experiences for her.  Seems odd to think that we have travelled 12,000 miles to Oz for a holiday, but we have n't bothered to trail 250 miles north of London for a taste of the UK

it's great climbing up the waterfall at the scar, go for it. only about five pull ups and decent foot holes and there's nothing dangerous beyond view. you scramble up a bit then there's what looks like natural stone steps upto the top.

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

I'm off to Sedbergh in August, me.

"We are The Fall"

david harvey's monkey wrote:

it's great climbing up the waterfall at the scar, go for it. only about five pull ups and decent foot holes and there's nothing dangerous beyond view. you scramble up a bit then there's what looks like natural stone steps upto the top.

It had dried up like a post menapausal womans ******* last time I was up it!

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Look at Goredal Scar camp site. Very basic (but with showers/toilets). Scenery is amongst the best around. And very, very remote. Family freindly - well the the fields and moors around it are the playground. There's a stream that runs through it, great for paddling.

And a 5 minute walk to the actual Goredale Scar is an awesome experience.

There's also a camp site at Malham village (one at the top towards the cover). Advantage is that it is only a short walk to a couple pubs. Downside is the pubs are, in season, full of tourists and 'professional' walkers who are some of the most boring cunts out.

Nice one, i will have a peek at that one.  Kids like a playground though.  i also like to know where they are.

aye i can make anything wet

http://twitter.com/@sabotagetimes
http://www.sabotagetimes.com/

The Malham one is just at the edge of the village as you take the left fork road. Quite near the village itself but a great spot, easy walk to the Cove etc. It was fully booked when we were there on Saturday.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

We've been past the campsite at Goredale Scar and the setting is amazing.
The pubs in Malham aren't too bad either, think we went in The Stag?? Nice pub grub and real ale and quiet when we visited but that probably wasn't in holiday season.

Jesus DMH it's lunchtime.

inoffthebar wrote:

Looking forward to heading up to the dales for a bit of time later on this year.  My brother is getting married in Penrith in August so me and the wife are heading up through the countryside for a bit of a scenic trip.  She is from Lincolnshire so would not know a hill if it bit her on the arse.

Really looking forward to retreading through some of the old places we went as kids, Malham Cove and the Limestone pavement, Janet's Foss, the Ribblehead Viaduct etc.

On the way home from Penrith, we'll head through the Lakes and see a bit of that countryside.  All new experiences for her.  Seems odd to think that we have travelled 12,000 miles to Oz for a holiday, but we have n't bothered to trail 250 miles north of London for a taste of the UK

You can get to Penrith through the dales. Make sure you go via Tan Hill for the highest pub in England.

See the walking thread for pics of lakes.

TheHumanDynamo wrote:

We've been past the campsite at Goredale Scar and the setting is amazing.
The pubs in Malham aren't too bad either, think we went in The Stag?? Nice pub grub and real ale and quiet when we visited but that probably wasn't in holiday season.

Buck Inn, Theakstons and Wensleydale Brewery. Lister Arms is the other.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Me and Mrs Dragon and Dragon hound are going to knaresborough in a few weeks ,for a week , also never done that area before.

To stand aside is to take sides.

white dragon wrote:

Me and Mrs Dragon and Dragon hound are going to knaresborough in a few weeks ,for a week , also never done that area before.

We go for picnics on the river, it's great on a sunny day.  It's really nice.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
white dragon wrote:

Are any pubs dog friendly ?

To stand aside is to take sides.

white dragon wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
white dragon wrote:

Are any pubs dog friendly ?

Most of them on friday night. Put a bit of lipstick on it and you're fine

Well my allotment needs watering for starters mate.

"Well so could anyone"

white dragon wrote:

If they still charge you for entry into Mother Shiptons cave and the petrifying wells forget it its a rip off.

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
white dragon wrote:

If they still charge you for entry into Mother Shiptons cave and the petrifying wells forget it its a rip off.

Is the zoo still there?

gorefidel wrote:
heyho wrote:
white dragon wrote:

Is the zoo still there?

Zoo? Thought that was kicking out time along the main street.

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
heyho wrote:

Is the zoo still there?

Zoo? Thought that was kicking out time along the main street.

Nah, there used to a small zoo with 4 penguins, a monkey and a one eyed tiger. We went there on a school trip at the juniors. Seemed massive. Near the pitch an putt.

TheHumanDynamo wrote:

Off to the Dales for a week with the Mrs on Friday, any reccommendations for things to see/do/eat drink?
We are staying just outside Hawes and will probably do the well trodden things we've done before like Malham and Richmond etc.
Mentioned on a another thread but anyone done the Black Sheep or Theakstons brewery tours in Masham? Worth going for a look?

Cheers in advance.

Done the Black Sheep one, it is OK, but one brewery keg is like any other brewery keg to be honest. They have a nice little cafe where you can have a pint or two. There are one or two decent boozers in the market place just up the road.

Recommend, time permitting, you do the Settle to Carlisle railway if you can. Stunning scenery, sit on the left side of the train going forward.

Last edited by Mitaman (Wed 30 Jun 2010 9:51 am)

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'