Re: Yorkshire Dales

Knights Stainforth is a great site. Just past Settle. Great pub up the hill. Free wi-fi and a very good playground for the kids which you can see from virtually any pitch on the site...  and a river for paddling.
Read the reviews.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/revie … revid=3034

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

heyho wrote:
david harvey's monkey wrote:

it's great climbing up the waterfall at the scar, go for it. only about five pull ups and decent foot holes and there's nothing dangerous beyond view. you scramble up a bit then there's what looks like natural stone steps upto the top.

It had dried up like a post menapausal womans ******* last time I was up it!

ovaries
gash
clout
loveburger
tuppence
fannwoah
poonani

which one is it?

gorefidel wrote:
heyho wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Is the zoo still there?

Zoo? Thought that was kicking out time along the main street.

Nah, there used to a small zoo with 4 penguins, a monkey and a one eyed tiger. We went there on a school trip at the juniors. Seemed massive. Near the pitch an putt.

Did it have one of these as well?

http://www.moderndogs.net/SHIH-TZU-DOG.jpg

Then it'll have been a Shih Tzu.

Mitaman wrote:
TheHumanDynamo wrote:

Off to the Dales for a week with the Mrs on Friday, any reccommendations for things to see/do/eat drink?
We are staying just outside Hawes and will probably do the well trodden things we've done before like Malham and Richmond etc.
Mentioned on a another thread but anyone done the Black Sheep or Theakstons brewery tours in Masham? Worth going for a look?

Cheers in advance.

Done the Black Sheep one, it is OK, but one brewery keg is like any other brewery keg to be honest. They have a nice little cafe where you can have a pint or two. There are one or two decent boozers in the market place just up the road.

Recommend, time permitting, you do the Settle to Carlisle railway if you can. Stunning scenery, sit on the left side of the train going forward.

Cheers Mita. To be honest looking on the internet the Theakstons one seems to be the better of the two, but as you say I'm sure they're going to be pretty similar.

I'd thought about the Settle-Carlisle railway but our lass is scared of bridges believe it or not so I'm not sure how she would take to the Ribblehead viaduct and such!

Done the Theakston's one - an interesting hour and an excuse for a decent pint before / after in their little bar.

I don't believe that the oak casks are no better than the steel ones for flavour in Old Peculiar though.  Take that up with them will you?

By the way, went to Fountaine Inn at Linton on the recommendation of someone off here.  Brilliant scran as described and a great spot.  Ta.  Unfortnately it closes for 2 months from July 1 to end of Aug.

Highly recommend the New Inn in Clapham.  Excellent food.  We picked it from a "dog-friendly" web site as we wanted to take our mutt walking with us.

The place itself was very dog-friendly, unlike the psychopathic Jack Russel that attacked said mutt in the bar, much to the amusement of the gathered yokels.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

placidcasual wrote:
inoffthebar wrote:

Looking forward to heading up to the dales for a bit of time later on this year.  My brother is getting married in Penrith in August so me and the wife are heading up through the countryside for a bit of a scenic trip.  She is from Lincolnshire so would not know a hill if it bit her on the arse.

Really looking forward to retreading through some of the old places we went as kids, Malham Cove and the Limestone pavement, Janet's Foss, the Ribblehead Viaduct etc.

On the way home from Penrith, we'll head through the Lakes and see a bit of that countryside.  All new experiences for her.  Seems odd to think that we have travelled 12,000 miles to Oz for a holiday, but we have n't bothered to trail 250 miles north of London for a taste of the UK

You can get to Penrith through the dales. Make sure you go via Tan Hill for the highest pub in England.

See the walking thread for pics of lakes.

On one of my rare trips out of old London Town I once went to the Inn Tan Hill. It was very nice if a little cold.

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

Will be in Fearby/Masham last week of july. Any must do´s? Breweries and most pubs checked out but what else? Will probably not go that far, stay in wensleydale and around there. Will go down to watch the pre-season at elland road against newcastle, problems with sunday traffic? (we have not hired a car) Easiest and fastest way Masham to Leeds?

Blond perm and tash mob.

Stockholmian wrote:

Will be in Fearby/Masham last week of july. Any must do´s? Breweries and most pubs checked out but what else? Will probably not go that far, stay in wensleydale and around there. Will go down to watch the pre-season at elland road against newcastle, problems with sunday traffic? (we have not hired a car) Easiest and fastest way Masham to Leeds?

I suspect Masham to Leeds without a car will be a nightmare - others will know more.

Smutty Lips wrote:
Stockholmian wrote:

I suspect Masham to Leeds without a car will be a nightmare - others will know more.

You can get a 36 bus from Ripon to Leeds. Nearest train station is Thirsk or North Allerton. There's a direct train from Leeds to Harrogate then you can probably get a bus to Masham from Harrogate.

http://www.northyorkstravel.info/search-results.php

Stockholmian wrote:

It begs the question of how you will to Masham in the first place?

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

TheHumanDynamo wrote:
Mitaman wrote:
TheHumanDynamo wrote:

Off to the Dales for a week with the Mrs on Friday, any reccommendations for things to see/do/eat drink?
We are staying just outside Hawes and will probably do the well trodden things we've done before like Malham and Richmond etc.
Mentioned on a another thread but anyone done the Black Sheep or Theakstons brewery tours in Masham? Worth going for a look?

Cheers in advance.

Done the Black Sheep one, it is OK, but one brewery keg is like any other brewery keg to be honest. They have a nice little cafe where you can have a pint or two. There are one or two decent boozers in the market place just up the road.

Recommend, time permitting, you do the Settle to Carlisle railway if you can. Stunning scenery, sit on the left side of the train going forward.

Cheers Mita. To be honest looking on the internet the Theakstons one seems to be the better of the two, but as you say I'm sure they're going to be pretty similar.

I'd thought about the Settle-Carlisle railway but our lass is scared of bridges believe it or not so I'm not sure how she would take to the Ribblehead viaduct and such!

In which case I recommend this one for kill or cure...

http://www.abelard.org/france/viaduct-de-millau.php

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Red Lion - Burnsall, booked for next Thursday night.

Take off hosers ...

placidcasual wrote:
Smutty Lips wrote:
Stockholmian wrote:

You can get a 36 bus from Ripon to Leeds. Nearest train station is Thirsk or North Allerton. There's a direct train from Leeds to Harrogate then you can probably get a bus to Masham from Harrogate.

http://www.northyorkstravel.info/search-results.php

Chhers, will check that out.

Blond perm and tash mob.

Mitaman wrote:
Stockholmian wrote:

Relevant q i guess...:) We (5 of us) will stay in Leeds a few days and then get a cab to masham, my problem is that i´m the only one going to the game...

Blond perm and tash mob.

Stockholmian wrote:
Mitaman wrote:
Stockholmian wrote:

Relevant q i guess...:) We (5 of us) will stay in Leeds a few days and then get a cab to masham, my problem is that i´m the only one going to the game...

Jesus, a cab from Leeds to Masham? Why don't you get a helicopter, it may work out cheaper...

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Toronto Ted wrote:

Lucky thing, there is nothing better than being sat outside that boozer on a June summer's eve drinking their ale. I'm envious!

You might find this site useful if you're planning to travel by public transport.

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Ho … heparam=15

Mitaman wrote:
Stockholmian wrote:
Mitaman wrote:

Jesus, a cab from Leeds to Masham? Why don't you get a helicopter, it may work out cheaper...

Getting a cab in Sweden is probably 5 times more expensive....maybe a helicopter then..:D Or bus 36 to ripon and then a cab.

Blond perm and tash mob.

Tolley wrote:

You might find this site useful if you're planning to travel by public transport.

http://www.transportdirect.info/Web2/Ho … heparam=15

Ta very much.

Blond perm and tash mob.

Stockholmian wrote:
Mitaman wrote:
Stockholmian wrote:

Getting a cab in Sweden is probably 5 times more expensive....maybe a helicopter then..:D Or bus 36 to ripon and then a cab.

Get a train from Harrogate to Leeds . and a cab to Harrogate from Masham.

Mitaman wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

Lucky thing, there is nothing better than being sat outside that boozer on a June summer's eve drinking their ale. I'm envious!

big_smile Cant wait. Going with the wife (Canadian and loves the Dales)  and taking my mum as well, couple of days up there, pub grub, nice ales and gentle walks

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:
Mitaman wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

big_smile Cant wait. Going with the wife (Canadian and loves the Dales)  and taking my mum as well, couple of days up there, pub grub, nice ales and gentle walks

Lovely boozer, as has been said; sat by the river on a summers day is f**king sublime. Loads of good ales on, great scenery. Appletreewick is just a nice walk away and again, quality drinks and views all round. Grassington's not far either, someone mentioned the fountain at Linton which does smashing grub as well as top notch beer. Thinking about it, you can't go wrong in most pubs in the dales, it's just ace. Have a brilliant holiday.

P.S. If you end up going to addingham don't forget to stop in at the old station for fish and chips, don't go to the other one; they don't batter their fish, they batter their children. No, but seriously folks, they fry in vegetable oil which is almost as bad. Also, aviod the crown, even though it used to be my local its gone badly downhill. On the other hand the sailor which I went in a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 10 years was excellent.. if a little quiet.

Any recommendations for us non-campers? Need to be able to get there on train and a short cab or walk, pubs with board. Sure we've done this already. Thinking about going up to Lakes and working it back down to Knaresborough. Week after Middlesbough home game..

snake hips

Toronto Ted wrote:
Mitaman wrote:
Toronto Ted wrote:

Match report please YC

snake hips