Re: Yorkshire Dales

bushnut wrote:
luxury_scruff wrote:

Mate of mine had his wedding there and loved it.

Did he have a groupon card?

think you just need to register with groupon http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/leeds/th … se/2710255

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

hendersonjones wrote:
bushnut wrote:
luxury_scruff wrote:

Mate of mine had his wedding there and loved it.

Did he have a groupon card?

think you just need to register with groupon http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/leeds/th … se/2710255

Don't need a card just register buy your ting, ring the hotel and book it. Will be some exclusions. I got one for Grasmere and valentines day and easter is excluded.

Groupon, get on it!!

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Quick question, what´s the best dales village to head too for a day out, probably a drive and a bit of dinner, (lunch Gore).

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Foxy Dread wrote:

Quick question, what´s the best dales village to head too for a day out, probably a drive and a bit of dinner, (lunch Gore).

Oh Faux snobbery.... and what pray tell do they call it in Gib? big_smile

Check the details on any deals...Groupon hasn't got long to live http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17398809

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Probably been said before, but, Burnsall always nice. Plus you can park up at Burnsall (after having driven past Bolton Abbey etc), then take the path alongside the river to Appletreewick and you can either have a pint and eat in the New Inn  (http://www.the-new-inn-appletreewick.com/), or a quick pint before moving onto the Craven Arms (http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/index.htm) for some scran. You can then either retrace your steps via the river or follow the road back towards Masons campsite and then back onto the path near the river...

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

I'm looking to head up at Easter with the wife and boys (aged 4 and 6)

We've been recommended Lightwater Valley as something to do and then other days I'll take them to Bolton Abbey / Grassington etc etc

My question is really about where to base ourselves - we'd want to be in a village where we could get bits to eat and drink but still be close enough to some of the highlights of the area.  Probably would rent a cottage for the week

30 years ago since I've been to the Dales so can't really remember too much about it........reading some of this thread has been a good reminder mind!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Pately Bridge, equidistant between all of them plus Fountains Abbey, Malham and not forgetting Brimham Rocks which your kids will love..

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Cheers Placid - looking at a map I'd highlighted PB as an option and your recommendation seals the deal

If the weather is good I can't think of a place I'd rather be than up in the Dales

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Colombian brothel?

Last edited by Cuts (Tue 05 Jan 2016 9:23 pm)

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Get LBB to let you pitch a tent in his garden....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Re: Yorkshire Dales

http://www.kabrna.com/cpgs/devensian/images/brim01.jpg

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Cuts wrote:

Colombian brothel?

Not again.......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Travis Bickle wrote:

Get LBB to let you pitch a tent in his garden....

I wouldn't inflict my two lads on anyone!

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Getting nearer the time

So,  I'm looking at Brimham Rocks definitely

Knocked Lightwater Valley on the head - would rather take them to see more of nature's gifts......

Will (probably) do Bolton Abbey and probably Burnsall in a day

Malham Cove a definite too with maybe a scramble up Goredale

The final question - the boys (4 and 6) are keen for a bit of caving but which one?  I reckon White Scar but others have suggested anything from Ingleborough Caves to Mother Shiptons.  I'm after something that will make them go "wow" and make them realise that London Underground and The Jam doesn't have the monopoly on going underground

Any other recommendations gladly accepted

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

White Scar is the best, then Ingleborough - Mother Shipton is comedy caving. You've also got Stump Cross caverns which you can combine with a mooch down Trollers Ghyll too for one our hidden gems. Lead & Flourspar mining, fossils, caves, old mine workings - what more does a kid want?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Djpekingman wrote:

White Scar is the best, then Ingleborough - Mother Shipton is comedy caving. You've also got Stump Cross caverns which you can combine with a mooch down Trollers Ghyll too for one our hidden gems. Lead & Flourspar mining, fossils, caves, old mine workings - what more does a kid want?

My daughter now lives in the Yorkshire Dales. All she wants is a fucking trampoline for the back garden !!  Can't drag her out of the house........

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Little Billy Bremner wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

White Scar is the best, then Ingleborough - Mother Shipton is comedy caving. You've also got Stump Cross caverns which you can combine with a mooch down Trollers Ghyll too for one our hidden gems. Lead & Flourspar mining, fossils, caves, old mine workings - what more does a kid want?

My daughter now lives in the Yorkshire Dales. All she wants is a fucking trampoline for the back garden !!  Can't drag her out of the house........

Sounds good DJP

LBB - my boys are used to seeing planes overhead from Heathrow and dodging traffic on the A316 so I'm sure a bit of scenery and the chance to climb about on some rocks will go down a treat

Fingers crossed anyway

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Will (probably) do Bolton Abbey and probably Burnsall in a day

don't forget the Strid, nicely situated on the river between the two.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Currently sat in a bunkhouse about a mile from Ribblehead Viaduct. I'll be having my tea at the Station Inn later then up at sunrise for a few hours on the pushbike. £21 for the night and I've got the place to myself. Can't think of anywhere better to spend a couple of days.

We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

The Grouch wrote:

Currently sat in a bunkhouse about a mile from Ribblehead Viaduct. I'll be having my tea at the Station Inn later then up at sunrise for a few hours on the pushbike. £21 for the night and I've got the place to myself. Can't think of anywhere better to spend a couple of days.

Sounds great.  I was looking at booking up something ofr the family for next year after a lovely few days up there at Easter

Stayed in Pateley Bridge last time but will maybe look somewhere around Hawes this time

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Mrs and Jnr Pies went to Malham Cove today whilst I was at work. Nice.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Did anyone catch that bus ride thing on beeb4 the other night ? Well worth a watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … ountry-bus

A journey in real time through one of the most spectacular and beautiful bus routes in Britain, the Northern Dalesman, as it snakes across the landscape of the Yorkshire Dales.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Been here 10 months now and loving it. Best gamble I've ever taken. Before we moved, a common question from people was "Why there, what is there to do ?".  Every weekend is full and I don't think we'll ever have time to fit everything in. There's not just the 'touristy' bits, when we go for walk, there are literally thousands of footpaths to choose from and each one has it's own surprises, hidden waterfalls, stunning views, animals, watching the farming.......

One surprising thing is that since moving up here, I rarely get out on my bike. I just don't feel the need. When it's a choice of 2-3 hours on the bike, or a 2-3 hour walk with the dog, the dog win's every time. I think I was spoiling my rides when we first came up as I was constantly stopping every couple of miles to take photographs, a habit I'm slowly getting out of now, even when walking, I still take plenty but it's not like we need the photos now for memories like holiday snaps, everything we see will still be here for centuries to come and right on my doorstep.

So, 10 months in and we still really do feel like we're on holiday.

Another thing we've noticed, the quality of the food we're getting seem's to be so much better, the meat from the butchers, especially burgers and sausages etc are awesome. We only live 2 doors away from the bloke who owns Wensleydale Cheese too, The smoked Wensleydale is my favourite at the moment. Smoked cheeseburgers are something else tongue



And my daughter has a trampoline in the garden now so she's happy too smile

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Camping in Grassington on 9th.  Hope it doesn't tip it down.  Wood Nook Farm or something.  Taking a jumper.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Share

Re: Yorkshire Dales

Little Billy Bremner wrote:

Been here 10 months now and loving it. Best gamble I've ever taken. Before we moved, a common question from people was "Why there, what is there to do ?".  Every weekend is full and I don't think we'll ever have time to fit everything in. There's not just the 'touristy' bits, when we go for walk, there are literally thousands of footpaths to choose from and each one has it's own surprises, hidden waterfalls, stunning views, animals, watching the farming.......

One surprising thing is that since moving up here, I rarely get out on my bike. I just don't feel the need. When it's a choice of 2-3 hours on the bike, or a 2-3 hour walk with the dog, the dog win's every time. I think I was spoiling my rides when we first came up as I was constantly stopping every couple of miles to take photographs, a habit I'm slowly getting out of now, even when walking, I still take plenty but it's not like we need the photos now for memories like holiday snaps, everything we see will still be here for centuries to come and right on my doorstep.

So, 10 months in and we still really do feel like we're on holiday.

Another thing we've noticed, the quality of the food we're getting seem's to be so much better, the meat from the butchers, especially burgers and sausages etc are awesome. We only live 2 doors away from the bloke who owns Wensleydale Cheese too, The smoked Wensleydale is my favourite at the moment. Smoked cheeseburgers are something else tongue



And my daughter has a trampoline in the garden now so she's happy too smile

LBB,  you belong in the C*nts thread!!! big_smile

Sounds fantastic and exactly what I'd be after.  Unfortunately my missus is a London gal and the thought of moving from the area and her family fills her with dread.  Thankfully,  she loves The Dales when she does visit so we get up there a couple of times a year

Looking at Hawes next year so am starting to look for places and things to see/do - holiday planning always peps me up a bit

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Share