Re: Yorkshire Dales

CBIT wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Will (probably) do Bolton Abbey and probably Burnsall in a day

don't forget the Strid, nicely situated on the river between the two.

We did this btw CBIT - a nice Easter inspired egg hunt down there followed by a climb up to the tea rooms for some scran

(apologies for late reply too - only just seen your post after the rejuvenation of this thread....)

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Was at Burnsall yesterday, we've got an inflatable kayak, pumped it up for 1st time in 7 years. Started off at the bridge and sent the kids down the river. Did exactly same thing in a Grandways dinghy circa 1979. The gear has moved on but the kids still love the same stuff, water, rope swings and messing about. Happy days.

CBIT wrote:

Did anyone catch that bus ride thing on beeb4 the other night ? Well worth a watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … ountry-bus

A journey in real time through one of the most spectacular and beautiful bus routes in Britain, the Northern Dalesman, as it snakes across the landscape of the Yorkshire Dales.

Loved it. Didn't think I would, but it drew you in. Done by the same people who did the reindeer thing at Xmas, I think.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

placidcasual wrote:

Was at Burnsall yesterday, we've got an inflatable kayak, pumped it up for 1st time in 7 years. Started off at the bridge and sent the kids down the river. Did exactly same thing in a Grandways dinghy circa 1979. The gear has moved on but the kids still love the same stuff, water, rope swings and messing about. Happy days.

Bloke next door to us at the campsite is from Burnsall. We were talking about messing about in dinghies there this week.
Am getting one for the kids for next year. We had an Octopus 4. Can still picture it now, blue and orange. Why the fuck can I remember the name of a late 70s dinghy but can't find my car keys?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

So,  after a great Easter in the Dales in 2016 we've booked a place near Starbotton for 2017.  Purposefully gone for a little more rural than Pateley Bridge (2016 destination) so we can have more garden space for the kids to muck about in during the evening (while we're having a few bottle of vino)

Looking forward to it.  Just need to think about whether to buy a tow bar and bike rack or try and stick 4 on the roof - decisions decisions

So,  after a great Easter in the Dales in 2016 we've booked a place near Starbotton for 2017.  Purposefully gone for a little more rural than Pateley Bridge (2016 destination) so we can have more garden space for the kids to muck about in during the evening (while we're having a few bottle of vino)

Looking forward to it.  Just need to think about whether to buy a tow bar and bike rack or try and stick 4 on the roof - decisions decisions

Sounds fantastic, I envy you! It'll be great.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Been up to Brimham Rocks today with my lad. First time I've been, what's not to like? Nice weather, good company, stunning scenery and scrambling around on prehistoric rocks.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Harvest wrote:

Been up to Brimham Rocks today with my lad. First time I've been, what's not to like? Nice weather, good company, stunning scenery and scrambling around on prehistoric rocks.

Great spot,used to love going as a kid.
Reckon the grandson is old enough now,so planning on heading there this summer.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

https://preview.ibb.co/m6Nco5/IMG_20170407_125120.jpg

My lad proclaiming that it'd be a great place to train snipers.https://preview.ibb.co/c4vK1Q/IMG_20170407_120756.jpg

almscliffe crag and t'chevin are good for a rock scramble after school  (and theres another we went to when i was  kid but cant remember what it was called)

CBIT wrote:

almscliffe crag and t'chevin are good for a rock scramble after school  (and theres another we went to when i was  kid but cant remember what it was called)

Was it Plumpton Rocks? Near Harrogate and Spofforth.

On the back of those photos from Harvest and it being a cracking day,decided to venture out to Brimham Rocks.
I'd forgotten just how scenic it actually was and that includes the drive via Otley which takes you past Lindley Wood reservoir and past Menwith Hill.
Packed out as you'd expect on a day like today but the little fella loved it and the wife had put together some decent tucker for our picnic.

Ace day,all caught the sun and the added bonus of turning on the radio when we got back to the car just as Doukara was netting.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Snapped my Achilles at Brimham in 2008.

Up here now

Lovely day,  caught some sun.  Walked with the wife and our two young uns from Starbotton to Kettlewell via Cam Head.  Tough walk for the lads but they stuck at it

Walked back along the Dales Way after a spot of lunch in Zarina's (very good)

Lads now curled up in front of a DVD after a cracking first day

old yeadonian wrote:

On the back of those photos from Harvest and it being a cracking day,decided to venture out to Brimham Rocks.
I'd forgotten just how scenic it actually was and that includes the drive via Otley which takes you past Lindley Wood reservoir and past Menwith Hill.
Packed out as you'd expect on a day like today but the little fella loved it and the wife had put together some decent tucker for our picnic.

Ace day,all caught the sun and the added bonus of turning on the radio when we got back to the car just as Doukara was netting.

Nice one. We came that way, reservoir looks ace when you go past it. Some lovely looking boozers on that drive.

I'm over Good Friday and wanting to have lunch/tea with a couple of pals and their families.

One lives in Addingham, the other in Brighouse.

Should we settle on Addingham, or is there anywhere in between that you'd recommend.

When I say families, I mean kids between 1 and 6.

Cant say I know anywhere between Brighouse and Addingham. Trav might on the kids and food option in that area.

Going to The Grouse at Oldfield.

Up here now

Lovely day,  caught some sun.  Walked with the wife and our two young uns from Starbotton to Kettlewell via Cam Head.  Tough walk for the lads but they stuck at it

Walked back along the Dales Way after a spot of lunch in Zarina's (very good)

Lads now curled up in front of a DVD after a cracking first day

Great week up there - loved it.  Stayed at Hill Top Barn in Starbotton - recommended if you fancy some time up there

Kids loved The Forbidden Corner (as did I) - another recommendation if you have young 'uns

Did the 'opposite' walk to one mentioned - walked from Starbotton north to Buckden 'over the tops' and then down into the village for tea and cake before walking south back to Stabotton along the Dales Way.  Felt easier than the walk over Cam Head although I suspect we just took it slower

Had an afternoon up in Hawes too which is first time I've been  - probably coldest day of the week which put a bit of a dampener on it.  Nice pleace though,  next Easter we'll probably stay up that way somewhere - Reeth or the like

Took the 4 bikes up there on the new bike carrier which attaches to the new tow bar.  I took mine out for about 45 minutes and the other 3 went along for the ride..............

Brilliant week though,  even the Mrs (who is London through and through) loved it smile

I've got a mate called Dale from Woodlesford.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Fifteen miles walked up and down the river at Redmire over yesterday and today with wife and dog. Now chilling on sun loungers in our own little corner of the Yorkshire Dales.  Car not moved since I finished work Friday. If I knew how to, I'd put some photos on.  But then again I'd probably get dumped in the cunts thread big_smile

Last edited by Bielsa’s Bucket (Sun 23 Apr 2017 3:17 pm)

Little Billy Bremner wrote:

Fifteen miles walked up and down the river at Redmire over yesterday and today with wife and dog. Now chilling on sun loungers in our own little corner of the Yorkshire Dales.  Car not moved since I finished work Friday. If I knew how to, I'd put some photos on.  But then again I'd probably get dumped in the cunts thread big_smile

You can't be in the C*nts thread - having spent another lovely week in The Dales recently it's those not living there that need to have their bumps checked smile

Looking at you neck of the woods for next year,  Reeth,  Muker,  Hawes,  Aysgarth sort of quadrant

Lad went up Pen Y Ghent last week with his mate and his mate's mum and dad. They're doing Ingleborough tomorrow. He's done two more peaks than me.

Little Billy Bremner wrote:

It's class round there. My old man lives just up the road at Preston Under Scar.

Last edited by Odd Job (Fri 12 May 2017 9:17 pm)