Topic: I've spent 78p on lunch for the whole week

Two bags of out of date frozen onion and garlic bagels from Jack Fultons (8 bagels in total), cheaop pack of luncheon meat from Morrisons and a jar of mustard from cupboard.  Hey presto, a recession busting move from Reggie.

Other money saving tips welcome. 

I'm not skint either, I'm just half Scottish and Half yorkshire so it's natural for me to be "careful".

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Re: I've spent 78p on lunch for the whole week

Reggie Perrin wrote:

onion and garlic bagels...

You're not half Jewish as well?

Tolley wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

onion and garlic bagels...

You're not half Jewish as well?

Apparently i cut my teeth on bagels in the back room of my grandad's pork butchers shop on York Road with old Jewish fellas eating bacon sarnies.

they cant have been that Jewis eating bacon sarnies!

Yeah, not bad for a City College boy. I bought my way in, now all these Ivy league schmucks are sucking my kneecaps

Brooklyn White wrote:

they cant have been that Jewis eating bacon sarnies!

It was in the back room, they were not advertising the fact.

you cant let religion get in the way of a good sandwich!!!!!

My man at work has a Rabbai come see him every friday but has a salami sandwich every morning, religious when it suits him

Yeah, not bad for a City College boy. I bought my way in, now all these Ivy league schmucks are sucking my kneecaps

Brooklyn White wrote:

you cant let religion get in the way of a good sandwich!!!!!

My man at work has a Rabbai come see him every friday but has a salami sandwich every morning, religious when it suits him

My grandad's sarnies were better than any religion.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Wed 25 Aug 2010 8:29 pm)

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Two bags of out of date frozen onion and garlic bagels from Jack Fultons (8 bagels in total), cheaop pack of luncheon meat from Morrisons and a jar of mustard from cupboard.  Hey presto, a recession busting move from Reggie.

Other money saving tips welcome. 

I'm not skint either, I'm just half Scottish and Half yorkshire so it's natural for me to be "careful".

No crisps? sad

or dessert??? even if its only a breakaway or Mr Kiplings.

Cheap lunch update.  Ainsley Harriot Cup a Soup (Muligatawny 50p for 3) mixed with a pack of Asda Smart Price noodles at 18p. Add hot water.  Hey presto.  Lunch for 34.66p.

Actually wasn't that bad either.  Looking forward to the Minestrone, Veg Chowder (that's Chowdah I tell you), Hot n Sour and Broccoli n Stilton versions in the coming fortnight.

Just screams 'healthy' Reg.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Harvest wrote:

I have had a nectarine and am currently on with an apple.

abridgetoofar wrote:

ASDA Ham & Beef Paste. Screw top off and scoop with index finger. Screw top back on and put back.

On to the supermarket shelf ?

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Harvest wrote:

And were the nectarine and apple free? Seems to me that there is a shortfall in the full reporting of costs going on here?

BobbyDavros wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
Harvest wrote:

And were the nectarine and apple free? Seems to me that there is a shortfall in the full reporting of costs going on here?

They were not alas but the nectarines where 6 for 49p and the apple from home.  I didn't count the fruit as lunch, just snack shit.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Cheap lunch update.  Ainsley Harriot Cup a Soup (Muligatawny 50p for 3) mixed with a pack of Asda Smart Price noodles at 18p. Add hot water.  Hey presto.  Lunch for 34.66p.

Actually wasn't that bad either.  Looking forward to the Minestrone, Veg Chowder (that's Chowdah I tell you), Hot n Sour and Broccoli n Stilton versions in the coming fortnight.

I like your line of thought. Obviously I have access to a reasonable amount of noodles as you would expect, so may give one or more of these variations a try.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

The whole caboodle is about 350 calories plus the fruit.  Lets see if I don't get bored with it.  The idea of blowing £5 a day on lunch seems pointless and I can never be arsed making myself a sarnie even though I make them for all three kids every morning.  I'm a right weird cheap fucker me.

Free coffee / tea available Reg; keep your eye out for discarded McDonalds' coffee cups.  (Gutters, hedges, sticking out of bins)  If they've been left with the loyalty sticker intact, just collect 6 and you're away.

"We are The Fall"

So,  at work we have a couple of those 'coffee shop' type things in the building where you're charged £1.70 for a brew and even more for a cup of coffee.  The places are full from the start of the day to the end

I can't fathom it.  On every floor there are multiple areas where you can get a free brew or a free cup of coffee - proper milk to go with it if you're like that.  Facilities to store your own tea / coffee too should you wish to (I do - peppermint and lemon&ginger tea not on the menu)

Yet the pay-through-your-teeth places are still always full!?!?!?!?

#Moremoneythanbloodysense

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

So,  at work we have a couple of those 'coffee shop' type things in the building where you're charged £1.70 for a brew and even more for a cup of coffee.  The places are full from the start of the day to the end

I can't fathom it.  On every floor there are multiple areas where you can get a free brew or a free cup of coffee - proper milk to go with it if you're like that.  Facilities to store your own tea / coffee too should you wish to (I do - peppermint and lemon&ginger tea not on the menu)

Lemon and Ginger is the shit, Twinings mind as Liptons have been found to have maggots still alive in the bag, word of warning for all you other Lemon and Ginger freaks..

Last edited by king of the slums (Wed 06 Jul 2016 6:07 pm)

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

Pukka teas for all that kind of carry on. And leave the bag in.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

king of the slums wrote:
Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:

Lemon and Ginger is the shit, Twinings mind as Liptons have been found to have maggots still alive in the bag, word of warning for all you other Lemon and Ginger freaks..

Lemon and giner is the bollocks - especially first thing if you've over indulged the night before.  As mentioned before,  post-noon it has to be peppermint

And yes,  Twinings - tried others but nothing comes close

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

king of the slums wrote:

It's an urban myth KOTS, those "worms" are just the lemon flavouring.

http://www.snopes.com/are-there-worms-i … -tea-bags/

Reggie Perrin wrote:
BobbyDavros wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

They were not alas but the nectarines where 6 for 49p and the apple from home.  I didn't count the fruit as lunch, just snack shit.

You can't just dismiss the cost of the nectarines and apples when working out your total daily lunch cost - it's not like they grow on trees!

Oh - hold on a minute...

Ainsley Harriot Cup a Soup combined with Asda Smart Price noodles might be cheap, but could be very salty...

Tolley wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
BobbyDavros wrote:

You can't just dismiss the cost of the nectarines and apples when working out your total daily lunch cost - it's not like they grow on trees!

Oh - hold on a minute...

Ainsley Harriot Cup a Soup combined with Asda Smart Price noodles might be cheap, but could be very salty...

Au contraire Blackadder.   The Nectarine and Apple were not lunch.  Thems were snacks mid morning and mid afternoon.

The Ainsley thing was probably tres salty but I didn't use the fart powder from the noodles, just the dry noodles.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Thu 07 Jul 2016 12:10 pm)