Re: I've spent 78p on lunch for the whole week

I'm learning a lot from this thread

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Life's too short to eat luncheon meat and flavoured bagels! Fuckinell Reg they sound rank.

Slowcookers. The way to go. Spend about 30 quid and can get over 10 serving out if it. Freeze them, set for lunch for the week - about three quid a pop - and somewhat healthy with veggies.

This does not account for nectarines though.

Loaf of bread 75p and lasts a week. Cooked meat between a quid and 1.50. Bananas are less than 20p each and I get my apples from morrissons.  That's pink lady apples thru the self service till as jonagold.  Sometimes I'll put mushrooms through as potatoes along with peppers as carrots or summat. I even confuse myself and do a tut tut amd the odd for fucks sake. But walk out patting my back pocket asda style. Thus creating a healthy cheap pasta dinner/sarni and cheap fruit snacks.

Fuck em

BobbyDavros wrote:

Slowcookers. The way to go. Spend about 30 quid and can get over 10 serving out if it. Freeze them, set for lunch for the week - about three quid a pop - and somewhat healthy with veggies.

Used to use mine constantly when I lived in England. Potatoes, carrots, onions, mushrooms, top quality sausage, variety of sauce mixes, throw it all in. Pop it on when you go out to work, ready when you get home. Serve with French bread and a glass of wine. Superb!

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

placidcasual wrote:

Life's too short to eat luncheon meat and flavoured bagels! Fuckinell Reg they sound rank.

It was 6 years ago so memory is sketchy.  As I recall though the bagels were spot on, slightly toasted with an oniony hint and the filling was OK.  Polony has always been a childhood favourite of mine with proper piccalilli, not that "sweet2 shit.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

BobbyDavros wrote:

Oh yeah.  Used ours twice in last 7 days.  Chilli one day and mince and tats t'other. 

I've been told that joints are good in them but I struggle to see how.  Anyone tried?

Reggie Perrin wrote:
BobbyDavros wrote:

Oh yeah.  Used ours twice in last 7 days.  Chilli one day and mince and tats t'other. 

I've been told that joints are good in them but I struggle to see how.  Anyone tried?

Did a big beef joint for about 11 hours.   Loads of onions and garlic.  It melted.  Trick is to catch it just before it starts to fall apart by itself.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

The beauty of a joint in a slowcooker is that you get to use the cheaper cuts / joints - because it really breaks it down when cooking longer. Pork shoulder, beef briskets. Tons of recipes online.

Agreed on the slow cooker. Kitchen smells ace.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

luxury_scruff wrote:

Love it when we use the slow cooker Lamb shanks , sausage casseroles etc and the smell that greats you after a hard day at work is wonderful .
If this thread is about saving money then the slow cooker I'm afraid wastes electricity thru-out the day whilst your out

erobehterog wrote:
luxury_scruff wrote:

Love it when we use the slow cooker Lamb shanks , sausage casseroles etc and the smell that greats you after a hard day at work is wonderful .
If this thread is about saving money then the slow cooker I'm afraid wastes electricity thru-out the day whilst your out

No.  An oven cost about 30p an hour to use.  A slow cooker will cost about 10p for a full 8 hours.   Cheap as fuck.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
erobehterog wrote:
luxury_scruff wrote:

No.  An oven cost about 30p an hour to use.  A slow cooker will cost about 10p for a full 8 hours.   Cheap as fuck.

All depends on the wattage Reg

erobehterog wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
erobehterog wrote:

All depends on the wattage Reg

Still, surely they can't vary that much.  We use pressure cooker on hob too.  That's good.

abridgetoofar wrote:

Bring plastic bag fitted inside holdall to £4.29 All You Can Eat Toby Cavery Breakfast. Pile plates with sausages & bacon and empty into holdall under table. Food for dogs and sandwiches for kids all week.

This fine idea may work for some but it can't be kept in office drawer indefinitely.  All my cheap-ass lunch options have to be ambient, rehydratable via office kettle and not risk giving me listeria.

Tight cunt update.  Hot and sour cup a soup......wait for it...........with one Weetabix added in to thicken it up.   Passable tramps lunch in the office.

Reggie.  This is an intervention.  We're your friends but you need to know that you've strayed outside normal working parameters.

space wrote:

Reggie.  This is an intervention.  We're your friends but you need to know that you've strayed outside normal working parameters.

It's an adventure.

Soup and fucking Weetabix!!

No disrespect but can we organise a whip round and put the lad out of his misery?

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

old yeadonian wrote:

No disrespect but can we organise a whip round and put the lad out of his misery?

It's a choice not driven by economic malaise.   Bet you wouldn't say that to Heston Blumenthal.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
old yeadonian wrote:

It's a choice not driven by economic malaise.   Bet you wouldn't say that to Heston Blumenthal.

Exactly, I think its culinary genius Reg. I was just musing what Shredded Wheat overlaid with steak and wild mushroom sauce would taste like..

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Coq au Vin, on a bed of shreddies.

Vesta beef curry and sugar puffs.

Middle Eastern porridge and Olive falaffels

Mitaman wrote:

Olive falaffels

Of all the Carry On characters she was my favourite.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.