Topic: Amsterdam

Looking for some upmarket / aestetically pleasing hotel suggestions, as we're going to be there from the 19th to the 22nd of December.

YP you're usually on point with these things, any suggestions for the Dam?

Also, anyone up for the smoggies on New Year's Day?

Last edited by king of the slums (Mon 13 Sep 2010 6:34 am)

#DoTheDai \o/

Re: Amsterdam

Try to go at least once a year. In fact I'm over there on the 8th to 12th December. Really good time to be there with all the Christmas stuff around.

Look at:-

http://www.banksmansion.nl/

about 10 minute walk (through flower market as well) to Dam Square. Expensive but there is a totally free bar which is well stocked.

Last time i was there I stayed at:-

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/t … olsky.html

Which is actually on Dam Square. Once again quite expensive but pretty posh.

If you want some suggestions for a pub crawl (and a coffee shop crawl as well if you like that sort of thing) I'll try and remember the names of places. The big 'tip' is get the red light are out of your system as soon as possible and head for the outskirts as the beer prices drop significantly and the places are far nicer. there's one pub though smack bang in the middle of teh red light area which is normally full of the Dutch (and it's a pub with a nautical feel to it) which is great to sit at the large windows and piss yourself at all the japanese and asians plucking up courage to go with a prossie. You can see them bargaining with the women at their windows. then disappearing then 'coming' out a few minutes later like a teenager who has just had his first snog behind the bikesheds.

they have spoilt it a bit becuase you can't get alcohol in a coffee shop anymore. So even if you aren't into smoking pot you could go into a coffee shop, get a beer and enjoy the atmosphere. That's all stopped although the loophole in teh law is that some establishmenst allow you to smoke dope in their pubs.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

To he honest Amsterdam is one of my least favourite places to have to go to. When I have to go, I've stayed either at the Swisshotel, which is on Damtrack just at the Dam Sq end of it. It's a comfortable, convenient business hotel.

The other one, which is a bit more eclectic is the Lloyd Hotel, which is not far from centraal overlooking the Amstel river. It's a converted workhouse that has rooms/floors with different level of standard from one to five stars. I liked it, the area is not as dirty or as sleazy as around Dam Sq. But its a bit of a hoof into the red light district up by Dam Sq.

Free bar does it for us HeyHo big_smile

Was looking at this one as it scores really well on Tripe Advisor http://www.fusionsuites.com , No#1 in the Dam with a 100+ of votes, so not just the owners bumping it up.. roll

Banks Mansion is winning it..

Gore - I've stayed at the swizzle before.

This is just to split the trip back up to the UK, there's only really Amsterdam, Paris and Helsinki, that's on the HK to Leeds route. Ar'lass wanted Barcelona, but it's like a 20+ hr journey, connecting all over the gaff to get there. Not so bad going there, but the flight back on the 2nd of Jan needs to be as painless as possible, with no Dubai, Mumbai, Kazukstan stop overs. We got KLM into the Dam and  then Leeds 3 days later with KLM, that way KLM can carry the can if they screw up the return back from Labia and we miss our return from Schipol.

#DoTheDai \o/

Kebab vending machines and the chip shop on Damtrak are alright if your not out to get off your head....

Bob's Youth Hostel. 25 years of cheap slumber in the Dam. Why pay through the nose for somewhere you have no recollection of being?

http://www.bobsyouthhostel.nl/

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Recommend the Marriot just off the Leidesplein. Doesn't seem to be like normal marriots - has a bit more about it. Leidesplein is an excellent area for bars and restaurants - tends not to have the low life quotient of Dam square and beyond - lots of street art and entertainment, bars you can sit outside with a big patio heater, and if it's your bag a couple of bulldogs. Japanese habatchi house in the basement of the Krasnapolski in Damm square also recommended - excellent steak and lobster dinner - pricey though....

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

gorefidel wrote:

Kebab vending machines and the chip shop on Damtrak are alright if your not out to get off your head....

Hot food vending machines in general.   You can buy a warm potato crocquet from a fucking hole in the wall.  How bizarre is that? 

Food in Holland not much to write home about.  Chocolate shprinkellsh on everything and "shwarm" meat on every street corner.

http://b5media_b4.s3.amazonaws.com/14/files/2008/02/img-9347.jpg

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 13 Sep 2010 10:40 am)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Chips with mayonniase! Lovely. Frikandells. Perfect antidote for the munchies.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Hot food vending machines in general.   You can buy a warm potato crocquet from a fucking hole in the wall.  How bizarre is that? 

Food in Holland not much to write home about.  Chocolate shprinkellsh on everything and "shwarm" meat on every street corner.

http://b5media_b4.s3.amazonaws.com/14/f … g-9347.jpg

That's like coal to Newcastle after Japan..

#DoTheDai \o/

Djpekingman wrote:

Recommend the Marriot just off the Leidesplein. Doesn't seem to be like normal marriots - has a bit more about it. Leidesplein is an excellent area for bars and restaurants - tends not to have the low life quotient of Dam square and beyond - lots of street art and entertainment, bars you can sit outside with a big patio heater, and if it's your bag a couple of bulldogs. Japanese habatchi house in the basement of the Krasnapolski in Damm square also recommended - excellent steak and lobster dinner - pricey though....

Agreed Leidesplein is an excellent boozing area. Got a cracking Sports Bar if you are there on a Saturday aftyrnoon as well. Tons of defferent matches on live.

Also what we did last time was get a day pass for the trams and just got on one, got off, went in a boozer, got on another tram, got off, went in a boozer and sampled the suburbs of Amsterdam like that.

"Well so could anyone"

Leave out the canals and its England with a speech impediment.

gorefidel wrote:

Leave out the canals and its England with a speech impediment.

Or leave in the canals and its Birmingam with the speech impediment thrown in for free.

"Well so could anyone"

I'm with Gore, it's one of my least favourite cities.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Mol wrote:

I bet Luton's top.

placidcasual wrote:
Mol wrote:

I bet Luton's top.

smile

#DoTheDai \o/

Mol wrote:

And I LOVE it.

NOT the shit red light area which is seedy and commercial. But the ouitskirts are great. Some excellent bars and small restaraunts if you know where to go. And so laid back. Get totally chilled when I'm there and that's without sampling the black leb.

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
Mol wrote:

And I LOVE it.

NOT the shit red light area which is seedy and commercial. But the ouitskirts are great. Some excellent bars and small restaraunts if you know where to go. And so laid back. Get totally chilled when I'm there and that's without sampling the black leb.

Fair enough. Maybe its that I've only ever gone there for work. Its nicer than Rotterdam  for sure. The coast is nice and I like Utrect, but I wouldn't go back to Amsterdam by choice.

After you've done Anne Frank I always assumed people went there to get stoned or for a brass.

gorefidel wrote:
heyho wrote:
Mol wrote:

And I LOVE it.

Fair enough. Maybe its that I've only ever gone there for work. Its nicer than Rotterdam  for sure. The coast is nice and I like Utrect, but I wouldn't go back to Amsterdam by choice.

After you've done Anne Frank I always assumed people went there to get stoned or for a brass.

Is it wrong to crack an Anne Frank gag?

placidcasual wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
heyho wrote:

And I LOVE it.

Is it wrong to crack an Anne Frank gag?

Only if you feel guilty afterwards. I always confuse her with Valerie Singleton.

They'll be no Brasses this trip as the SP's coming - so I guess I'll have to make do with an Anne Frank..

#DoTheDai \o/

There's much nicer towns outside of Amsterdam that boast similar "attractions" albeit on a smaller scale and without the plethora of wasters and lowlife scum.

Utrecht
Haarlem
Scheveningen
Leiden
Delft
Den Haag

Everyone's pissing on my holiday... roll big_smile wished I'd just flown into the labia and got a taxi straight to Garforth for 2 weeks lol

#DoTheDai \o/

king of the slums wrote:

Everyone's pissing on my holiday... roll big_smile wished I'd just flown into the labia and got a taxi straight to Garforth for 2 weeks lol

I wouldn't worry about it. Free bar and stoned out of your head - you won't notice a thing. Just make sure you turn your collar down on your polo shirt for the duration. wink

king of the slums wrote:

Looking for some upmarket / aestetically pleasing hotel suggestions, as we're going to be there from the 19th to the 22nd of December.

YP you're usually on point with these things, any suggestions for the Dam?

Also, anyone up for the smoggies on New Year's Day?

went once a long time ago, i liked the area around Singel - flower market. otherwise I've avoided it like the plague. weed smoking dog on a string students from around the globe ...

just read the rest of the thread as I only replied to KOTS initial question lol

Last edited by young parisian (Tue 14 Sep 2010 12:11 pm)