Re: Amsterdam

heyho wrote:
Mol wrote:

I'm with Gore, it's one of my least favourite cities.

And I LOVE it.

NOT the shit red light area which is seedy and commercial. But the ouitskirts are great. Some excellent bars and small restaraunts if you know where to go. And so laid back. Get totally chilled when I'm there and that's without sampling the black leb.

Concur with HeyHo - like to partake myself, but there are plenty of places you can do it without rubbing shoulders with low life scum. As an alternative, Arnhem, or Breda or pop over the border to Antwerp - now that is a city that will pleasantly surprise....

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Djpekingman wrote:
heyho wrote:
Mol wrote:

I'm with Gore, it's one of my least favourite cities.

And I LOVE it.

NOT the shit red light area which is seedy and commercial. But the ouitskirts are great. Some excellent bars and small restaraunts if you know where to go. And so laid back. Get totally chilled when I'm there and that's without sampling the black leb.

Concur with HeyHo - like to partake myself, but there are plenty of places you can do it without rubbing shoulders with low life scum. As an alternative, Arnhem, or Breda or pop over the border to Antwerp - now that is a city that will pleasantly surprise....

I agree with that.  We stayed way out of the centre and the tall thin terraces along the canals are pretty cool with the odd square with a playground in every two blocks or so.  We went in a small Turkish bar pissed out of our heads and ended up laiking table football and getting all potted for another three hours.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Been 3 times on stag doos, stayed in red light district, never got further than Rembrant square.

ive also stayed in the nh hotel , check out the amstelbotel right next to central station

heyho wrote:

there's one pub though smack bang in the middle of teh red light area which is normally full of the Dutch (and it's a pub with a nautical feel to it) which is great to sit at the large windows and piss yourself at all the japanese and asians plucking up courage to go with a prossie. .

I believe that is the Jolly Sailor.  Full of brass portholes and various other bits from ships.  The last time I was in there, it was rammed full, due to a stag-do from Barnsley being in there, which hardly enhanced Amsterdam's reputation as a centre of Multi Culturalism, "tha nos"

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Last time I was there, me and Mrs SSK stayed in the Bellevue hotel.  Cheap, clean and very funky.

http://www.embhotels.nl/bellevue/

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

I have only ever been to Amsterdam once with my partner and we looked into renting Amsterdam apartments, it was a very good experience. I enjoyed it much more than staying in a Hotel because it felt like you were at home although you were on a holiday. I can only recommend it.

I'm off to the Dam soon for a weekend with the wife. Any ideas for stuff to do other than whoring, boozing and taking drugs? I'm asking on the wrong forum aren't I.

I was told I went to the Rembrandt museum. I lost a couple of days so it's probably right.

Ann Frank's gaff obviously.

Site stalwart.