Topic: The Wedge...

...the flickhead, the flicker... whatever you knew it by. The best men's hairstyle ever.

Those eight seconds after you'd flicked, you've not felt like it since with any of your other hairstyles have you.

My eldest sister was a hairdresser. Full mashings in the house - one of those sinks that you thought was a slight second, big round brushes for maximum roundness and nozzles that concentrated the heat better than a James Bond baddie with a lazer and a jar full of 50p's for the meter.

She only had to see that drummer from Modern Romance for her to get all (ay, ay, ay, ay moussey) and the scissors and mirror would come out.

Hey, I went as far as having the hair underneath my mushroom cut really short so that I could lay the weighty mass across the pillow of a night so that when I awoke, I could assume full rounded silhouette within seconds.

Seconds, just like on Dare.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Re: The Wedge...

luxury_scruff wrote:

...the flickhead, the flicker... whatever you knew it by. The best men's hairstyle ever.

Those eight seconds after you'd flicked, you've not felt like it since with any of your other hairstyles have you.

My eldest sister was a hairdresser. Full mashings in the house - one of those sinks that you thought was a slight second, big round brushes for maximum roundness and nozzles that concentrated the heat better than a James Bond baddie with a lazer and a jar full of 50p's for the meter.

She only had to see that drummer from Modern Romance for her to get all (ay, ay, ay, ay moussey) and the scissors and mirror would come out.

Hey, I went as far as having the hair underneath my mushroom cut really short so that I could lay the weighty mass across the pillow of a night so that when I awoke, I could assume full rounded silhouette within seconds.

Seconds, just like on Dare.

Some lad in Beckett's on Saturday night with one.  He'd gone the whole way...Tacchini top, retro trainers the lot.

"We are The Fall"

My mam was a hairdresser in a mental home.

Despite me having curly hair she managed to fashion me a respectable wedge that didn't look too much like a frozen Pot Noodle had been tipped over me cranium.

I used to dye it blond then black then blond then black again til one day it rebelled and went a sort of manky carrot colour.

I had the best Wedge in my school...in fact in Heavy Metal Country South Wales I had one of the only Wedges in my school.

But my Uncle was a hairdresser and used to do it for me and dye it all colours for nothing.
I was everything...purple, plum, blonde, a ginger colour...had a belting mullet too.

In fact by '87 I had hair like a cross between Princess Di, George Michael and Selina Scott.
Fuckin monstrous thing it was.
My daughter falls about laughing at the photo's.

I can remember being really into the Housemartins at one point and buying this belting turtle neck jumper (grey for school) and having my tie really neat with button down (really slim) collars on my shirt.
One of the Heavy Metal girls one day went...'JCIG, you dress like my Grandad!!' to much sniggering.

I can also remember having this brilliant 'John McEnroe' Dunlop bag. Wicked it was.
Found it in an old Sports shop in Cardiff. Happy days.

Funny thing, I can remember my fringe being so long at one point that Miss Lewis French (horrible cunt) going..
'JCIG ... the length of your fringe...you look like the Dulux paint sheepdog!'.

Naturally she didn't realise what a great compliment she was paying me..I was 14!...:D

'Never ever forget what the Tories did to us in Wales...they are lower than vermin' Nye Bevan.

Grade 3 maximum, proper haircut for a young man...flickheads? I ask you?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Hair's shite, never could. Proper DC style short back and sides. These days, I'm just glad I have hair.

Human kindness is overflowing

Bollocks to the lot of you...  I had the full on "David Sylvian".  The king of the wedges.

Eating tofu and hating it.

Remember the first kid in our school who had the purple fringed mushroom cut. Everyone thought he'd gone mental. Two months later every fucker had one.

He was also the first kid to start sniffing glue. A born trailblazer, obviously.

Everyone had a wedge and no one had a tache, eh? lol

Last edited by gorefidel (Wed 29 Sep 2010 11:25 pm)

We had one kid in our school with the purple wedge. We laughed at him then and I laugh at him now just thinking about it.

gorefidel wrote:

Everyone had a wedge and no one had a tache, eh? lol

I couldn't have possibly combined the two. By the time I could grow a tache wedges had gone out.

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu137/spacecadetdave/ds1.jpg

In fact, I had the nose, the cheekbones and the jacket too.  In retrospect I think I now know why I got bullied so much, but damn I was a pretty boy.  The intervening years, alas, have not been kind to me.

Eating tofu and hating it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vvltPasEY0E/S7PyVYh9ZwI/AAAAAAAABn8/LkUKYoFIpxs/s400/philip_oakey_2.jpg

Sheffield United's Top Lad circa '82

I don't remember many serious wedges amongst our lot although there were some hilarious attempts to grow out #1s into side partings and some very curly fringes that the owners used to try and pat down while out and about.

http://www.brooksidesoapbox.co.uk/BARRY-1.jpg

Who needs a wedge?

Cutsyke wrote:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vvltPasEY0E/S … akey_2.jpg

Top lad circa 2009 (and his husband)
http://www.glam-ou-rama.co.uk/users/276/gallery/potm.jpg

Cutsyke wrote:

http://www.brooksidesoapbox.co.uk/BARRY-1.jpg

Who needs a wedge?

Defo.

Cutsyke wrote:

Hair's shite, never could. Proper DC style short back and sides. These days, I'm just glad I have hair.

Igor on 1st & 1st - 10$ - quailty short back and sides  - or Aristotle here in Toronto who is good but now 'redundant' after his racist jibes mid cut last outing roll

Remember my first wedge. Asked the hairdresser for a cut like the blonde bird off the Human League. Got some funny looks but she had it bang on. I was 12. It was ace. I wish I could have one now - but it would have to go straight down the middle Flock of Seagulls style.

I always had thin hair, had a wedge of sorts, although it made me look like Adolph Hitler. Seemed to do the trick with the birds though, for some unknown reason.

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

I'm a bit younger than most on here.

I had a 'step'. That's what we called it anyway. There was a lad from the other side of the school field our house backed onto who had this 'step' but the top was dead thick and dyed blonde and the bottom was shaved to a #1 and his natural dark colour. I thought it was great.

Later, I grew a rat tail and had an arrow shaved into the back of my hair. It was the early 90s, I was a young teenager, I didn't give a fuck.

I had my ear pierced when I was 11.

They were called flickheads round our way. I got the piss ripped out of me at school cos some older lad heard me asking for one in the hairdressers and told everyone. 'Ey up fuzzy - hows yer flickhead?!'

Remember having fringe envy of a mate whose went right down over his eye and he got loads of lass attention..until his mam decided it looked ridiculous and cut if off with the kitchen sciccors right across in a straight line giving him an early precursor to the jim carey out of dumb and dumber look.

Cutsyke wrote:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vvltPasEY0E/S … akey_2.jpg

i think you'll find he's a wednesday fan,as are most of sheffield celebs,thankfully

Last edited by Alex Sabella (Thu 30 Sep 2010 2:56 pm)

76 Goals

Whilst you ponces were flicking your wedges I was teasing and crimping my hair to look something like this...

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/b/billy-idol/album-billy-idol-greatest-hits.jpg

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.