Topic: Vets Bounce Back..

It's feast or famine with t'vets these days.. The bare XI turned up for our tough test at Boroughbridge, today we had 17 for the cup quarter final with Thorpe. They're second division but won their league cup last season. We started with two ex-pros in our line-up, Andy Liddell and Lutel James. That apart, the first half team had a familiar look and after Liddell's long range openersneaked past their keeper, it seemed only a matter of how many.. LCA10 saw a header go wide and another saved, the keeper also held an acrobatic volley. A Lidell cros was then bundled over the line by Broomie, 2-0 at half time. The interval saw loads of changes, we went 3-0 up, Lids again, then they scrambled one in, cue Lids, then one more for them. We should have won by lots more, still semi finals for us, if we avoid Harrogate, we'll make it into the final, probably..

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Re: Vets Bounce Back..

OMJ still sponsors OBL?

Sure are.

Yes... Had to wear the away kit today, colour clash!

LCA10 wrote:

Sure are.

Ace. Just checking you hadn't left us for what's left of AIG.

We do have rain jackets and polo shirts coming which bear the Alba tyres logo.. But that's a separate, subsidiary deal negotiated by our commercial department..

Our banqueting and events team is organising a fund-raising night on Feb 26th, in the newly refurbished clubhouse. Plan is for a Q and A with a major celebrity, followed by quality tunes with LCA10 at the wheels of steel.
Prawn sandwich anyone?

Read that Peter Beardsley is house hunting round your manor, get him signed up.

Last edited by Mol (Mon 29 Nov 2010 5:02 pm)

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Bumped into him Leeds a few weeks back.. liking the sound of that..

ObL69 wrote:

Bumped into him Leeds a few weeks back.. liking the sound of that..

Houghton getting the tin tac puts paid to our quest of signing Beardsley for now (at least) he is in temporary charge at the Barcodes.

Don't worry, he won't last long there.. Vets will offer him a route back into management..

Get him running the midfield with Lidds.:lol:

OBL, say hello to Al for me, one of your centre halves unless I've been given duff info.  And my mate Andy guested for you the other week too, I think you lost 4-1?

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Big Al? Consider it done.
He might have told you we lost 4-1 but the only defeat so far was the 7-1 disaster at Boroughbridge. There have been quite a few new faces this season,

Played v Boroughbridge

ObL69 wrote:

He might have told you we lost 4-1 but the only defeat so far was the 7-1 disaster at Boroughbridge. There have been quite a few new faces this season,

He was in midfield I believe, so possibly a bit shell shocked big_smile

Big Al, lovely bloke, always liable to make me wee a bit with laughing, even when he didn't mean to.  Top lad.  We've been playing that long (Cross Flatts XI) that when Al joined his nickname to some of us was 'Pup'.  What is he now, 40, 41? yikes

OBL, if you're ever short and looking for a overweight, slow, arthritic-hipped, eager, slow, decent right-pegged, good-talker and clapper big_smile, and slow, defensive midfielder, who's not as fast as he should be, then I might be your man lol

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

old codger wrote:
ObL69 wrote:

OBL, if you're ever short and looking for a overweight, slow, arthritic-hipped, eager, slow, decent right-pegged, good-talker and clapper big_smile, and slow, defensive midfielder, who's not as fast as he should be, then I might be your man lol

OC... We've got a squad full of those! No seriously, always welcome mate.. I'll monitor the situation as we struggled for numbers first couple of games, then had bloody loads for the last one. So, reliability's the biggest asset required.

I like 'good talker and clapper'. We don't have enough 'clappers'.

Time was I used to go like the clappers as well lol

Not actually sure what it means like big_smile

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

old codger wrote:

Time was I used to go like the clappers as well lol

Seeing as you're a top clapper and given your age, I mean experience, have you thought of joining the Salvation Army?

Show a bit of commitment, and they might even give you your own tambourine. wink

As a former WY League stalwart, can I just point out, , that clapping is only useful IF you've got your shirtsleeves rolled up.

Last edited by Young Marxist at Tescos (Wed 08 Dec 2010 8:24 am)

"We are The Fall"

How about clapping plus clenched fist and cry of "come on!"? That's true leadership.

ObL69 wrote:

How about clapping plus clenched fist and cry of "come on!"? That's true leadership.

I'm a very positive clapper, with sleeves usually rolled up as well, but it's more 'Well done!' 'Good effort' 'How many times ref?!' and 'Give it give it, but not to me!' shouts.

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Young Marxist at Tescos wrote:

As a former WY League stalwart, can I just point out, , that clapping is only useful IF you've got your shirtsleeves rolled up.

Who did you used to play for?

I remember as a green and skinny 15 year old making one in now and again for my local Sunday pub team ....the skipper was truly ferocious ...a nasty fucker with 2 front teeth missing , bow legged and arms as big as my legs ...his words of encouragement went something like this ''get fuckin fired in or al brek thi bastard noz''
i always did as he said.

"...and have you ever seen one better timed ?"

Odd Job wrote:
Young Marxist at Tescos wrote:

Who did you used to play for?

Played for Wakefield [NOT the ex-Emley mob who are now in the Unibond,] we were just a former pub team really.

"We are The Fall"

I would imagine the word or phrase I used most on a football pitch was 'feet feet feet', telling them how i wanted the ball. I never said it just the once, it was always three times.

Seems strange now but at the time it all seemed natural and not at all odd.