Re: Hockey

gorefidel wrote:

fuck hockey, the Iron bowl - Auburn at Bama college football is where its at

Started watching a load of college football lately Ohio State and Michigan last night. Massive crowds how come it's so popular ?

Throw those curtains wide,just one day like this a year would see me right.

Bobdobalina wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

Started watching a load of college football lately Ohio State and Michigan last night. Massive crowds how come it's so popular ?

The US population is approximately 300 million. However, there are only 30 or so major league football teams and a similar number of baseball teams. I'd guess there are similar numbers of pro-basketball and hockey teams.

Teams aren't spread uniformly geographically, so there are vast tracts where people are a long way from any top-level sport, and are therefore are willing to travel big distances (tens/ hundreds of miles) to watch their nearest next best thing, the college games. The way US sport is structured, the colleges are effectively the feeder streams for the pro-teams, offering top-level competition, and at least a modicum of education for those who don't make the grade.

Even many of the high school games have several hundred/ a few thousand spectators turning out.

My experience is that many people take an intense interest in their local teams, even down to high school level sport, taking great pride in their achievements and being able to name the the top-performing school kids.

Baseball, being a summer game, is therefore generally outside the school/ college terms. However, like the college network, there is a hierarchical minor league structure distributed throughout the country to give people an opportunity of watching live games and a feeder stream for the pro-teams.

I'm not sure how the lower level basketball and hockey infrastructure works.

Nebraska. Thing with collage football is the alumni stay keyed into their old school's team. In New York there are bars full of Michigan fans, Norte Dame - the imigrants favourite - and so on. I worked with a bloke who was an obsseive on this stuff, big stat man, as most U.S. sports fans are. Collage was bigger than the NFL which nearly folded in it's infancy. Some teams finished the season having played 4 games, some 9 etc...

The other thing to consider is it's not just a game, it's a big event. Mate of mine in Buffalo, lad from Leeds, got picked up at 9 in the morning for a 3p.m home game. Big barbie in the parking lot, swally all day.

Human kindness is overflowing

Bobdobalina wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

I really like watching it. Its a lot faster than NFL and its a hoot. That college fraternity thing over there seem huge. Once you go to them you're part of it forever. Some of them have bigger budgets than some premier clubs. I want to see the Oregon no huddle 'quack attack' big_smile

Cutsyke wrote:

LUFC442, it's the only sport I've really taken to since moving over. The Leafs and Rangers are pretty much neck and neck in the let's see just how crap we can be stakes aren't they? I went to six games with Gretzky playing for the Rangers before I saw him on a winning side - 1-0 over Carolina. That must be some kind of record. How hard is it to get tickets for Leaf's games? Pretty expensive aren't they also? Do you still get up for a Leafs Habs game or has that worn off too?

LL No idea when it started, think it's always been there. The point, some say to give your team a lift when they are been out played and the obvious one is to protect your star players from the goons on the other team you need a goon or two yourself. Why is it allowed? It puts bums on seats. One of the human race's great failings, a lot of us like seeing two guys, or more, knock seven bells out of each other.

CUTS Yeah it's a good game to watch. Just think I overdosed on it a little. Still keep an eye out for the grudge games like Ottawa. Would have loved to have seen Gretzky play even just once. Did get to see Jagr which was good. Leafs tickets are pricey but they manage to sellout every game no matter how shit they are playing. I think I paid $11 for a pint last time I went as well. The fighting in hockey is a bit suprising given Canadians are generally a fairly wholesome bunch. There is no contact allowed at my lad's level and everything is very PC. I have to stand away from the other parents as I have been known to swear...

TT I know what you mean about the standard of the MLS. However, there is hope. The mighty Vancouver White Caps are back next season! Looking forward to the games in Toronto. The shirt is mint as well:

http://www.whitecapsfcshop.ca/images/medium_image/2997A_VWH_VWHKTD7_013_MF.jpg

‘I held Suzannah’s hand and told her, “I have to save Leeds United”

LUFC442 wrote:
Cutsyke wrote:

LUFC442, it's the only sport I've really taken to since moving over. The Leafs and Rangers are pretty much neck and neck in the let's see just how crap we can be stakes aren't they? I went to six games with Gretzky playing for the Rangers before I saw him on a winning side - 1-0 over Carolina. That must be some kind of record. How hard is it to get tickets for Leaf's games? Pretty expensive aren't they also? Do you still get up for a Leafs Habs game or has that worn off too?

LL No idea when it started, think it's always been there. The point, some say to give your team a lift when they are been out played and the obvious one is to protect your star players from the goons on the other team you need a goon or two yourself. Why is it allowed? It puts bums on seats. One of the human race's great failings, a lot of us like seeing two guys, or more, knock seven bells out of each other.

CUTS Yeah it's a good game to watch. Just think I overdosed on it a little. Still keep an eye out for the grudge games like Ottawa. Would have loved to have seen Gretzky play even just once. Did get to see Jagr which was good. Leafs tickets are pricey but they manage to sellout every game no matter how shit they are playing. I think I paid $11 for a pint last time I went as well. The fighting in hockey is a bit suprising given Canadians are generally a fairly wholesome bunch. There is no contact allowed at my lad's level and everything is very PC. I have to stand away from the other parents as I have been known to swear...

TT I know what you mean about the standard of the MLS. However, there is hope. The mighty Vancouver White Caps are back next season! Looking forward to the games in Toronto. The shirt is mint as well:

http://www.whitecapsfcshop.ca/images/me … 013_MF.jpg

Away end for sure. A certain poster on here will dig me out but I was meant to go last season to the cup game with the Whitecaps, passed due to weather ... BMO Field is not designed for rain ...

Take off hosers ...

Adopt a Whitecap, it's inevitable for us Leeds lads. Truth be told, there's not much fighting in hockey anymore.

Cutsyke wrote:

Adopt a Whitecap, it's inevitable for us Leeds lads. Truth be told, there's not much fighting in hockey anymore.

Lorimer and Yorath both turned out for the Whitecaps.

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:
Cutsyke wrote:

Lorimer and Yorath both turned out for the Whitecaps.

Well thats me fucked then. Cunts.

The yanks beating the ruskies in the final of the Lake Placid olympics in 1984 is one of my all time sporting memories !

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

It seems to be for a lot of people but I don't think it was the actual final was it? Wasn't it a semi?

Can join in this topic now . Just met up with mrs d's relatives from Canada and we are now Edmonton Oilers.
Are they any good ?

To stand aside is to take sides.

Not really but neither are The Rangers or Leafs. On the plus side, they have an impressive history and boasted the likes of Gretsky, Messier, Jarri Curry, Paul Coffey Kevin Lowe and Glenn Anderson. Not forgetting Esa Tikkenen who was fucking mental but good.

Not a bad team to have inlawded onto you. Things could deffinatley be worse in the White Dragon household. They could be Florida Panthers.

gorefidel wrote:
Bobdobalina wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

I really like watching it. Its a lot faster than NFL and its a hoot. That college fraternity thing over there seem huge. Once you go to them you're part of it forever. Some of them have bigger budgets than some premier clubs. I want to see the Oregon no huddle 'quack attack' big_smile

I have family in Birmingham, Alabama and they have told me that the Alabama v Auburn college football match is huge. Crowds of 80,000 and a lot of hatred between the teams.

It sounds like it puts a lot of our local rivalries to shame.

Cutsyke wrote:

Not really but neither are The Rangers or Leafs. On the plus side, they have an impressive history and boasted the likes of Gretsky, Messier, Jarri Curry, Paul Coffey Kevin Lowe and Glenn Anderson. Not forgetting Esa Tikkenen who was fucking mental but good.

Not a bad team to have inlawded onto you. Things could deffinatley be worse in the White Dragon household. They could be Florida Panthers.

Bit like us then , impresive history, even I have herd of Gretsky, bet the outlaws never herd of Bremner.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Yeah they have cook offs in the car park. You just don't get that at West Ham Millwall.

tongue_tied_danny wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
Bobdobalina wrote:

I have family in Birmingham, Alabama and they have told me that the Alabama v Auburn college football match is huge. Crowds of 80,000 and a lot of hatred between the teams.

It sounds like it puts a lot of our local rivalries to shame.

Over 100,000 there last Friday. 'Bama got dicked after going up by 3 touchdowns. Great game, showed the 8k 'away' fans up in the gods in ecstasy bellowing out 'war eagle' with 95,000 home fans getting well pissed off. Loved it.

It would be fantastic to be at one, although I fancy Notre Dame when they play at Yankee stadium.

Cutsyke wrote:

Yeah they have cook offs in the car park. You just don't get that at West Ham Millwall.

Some of those barbies could be seen as an offensive weapon. The cholesterol overload is deadly

Go Badgers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcEbS6co … re=related

That's my team, used to live and work within 400 yds of that stadium (Camp Randall) for 5 years, good stuff, the Badgers are doing well this season. Crowds of 100,000, amazing. A couple of years back my brother-in-law rented a car parking spot in the bank right next to the stadium, he'd get there about 4 hours before kick-off to start drinking and grilling bratwurst (German sausage, local delicacy). It regularly gets down to -20C there but people still tailgate in the parking lot with their cheeseheads on and wearing hunting orange. Mental. Better than Lambeau Field where the Pack play, gets down to -40 and lower up there.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

The Making of a Legend - Scotty Foster

NHL Teams generally dress two goalies per game. In tonight's Chicago Blackhawks game, the goalie scheduled to start the game, Anton Forsberg, was injured in pre-game warmups. The Blackhawks farm team is 90 minutes away, which was too far a drive to arrive in time for puck drop. No problem. While backup goalie, Collin Delia, had never played an NHL game, he had been doing well in the minors and was scheduled for the next game start, so heis start was bumped up a day, though the Blackhawks still needed a second goalie for emergency purposes.

For such occasions, the NHL has a list of emergency backup goalies in each city who are on-call for each game in case of this sort of problem. They are available for either team. They rarely get called, even more rarely go to the games and almost never suit of for the games. Even when they do suit up, they pretty much stay in the locker room for the entire game unless they are actually required to play. Such a job does not require a stellar pedigree and most haven't played in any sort of competitive league for quite a while. None have ever actually played in a game.

Until tonight.

Six minutes into the final period, Delia made an awkward save, his body cramped up, he fell to the ice and ultimately had to leave the game. The NHL Emergency Backup Goaltender on-call in Chicago, Scott Foster, last played competitive hockey for for his college team...15 years ago. Foster, who was in the locker room and mostly oblivious to what was happening on ice suddenly got the surprise of a lifetime. In this gif, he's making his way to the ice--past the 2nd All-Time Winningest Coach in NHL history, past millionaire & future Hall of Fame players and past the bench door that keeps everyone but NHL players and refs off the ice during a game. At 36 years old, he's playing for the first (and probably last) time in the NHL.

[video]

Video interview with the legend: https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/9 … 0849594368
Photo of his beer league buddies watching the game: https://i.imgur.com/k5j1RpS.jpg
Gif of Blackhawks mobbing him at the buzzer: https://i.imgur.com/p8xQCqz.gif
Also trending on Twitter: https://i.imgur.com/Rvy7BFD.png
The NHL put together a little video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG-IGNvfrg8 (stick tap to @jimmyv723)

That is fucking great, thanks for sharing - the interview with the guy is funny as fuck. Hawks number one keeper also unavailable, allegedly due to opioid addiction, so this guy might get another game...

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Leafs have been battered in the first 2 play off games by the Bruins, highly unlikely to make it through now.
They have some great kids playing for them now and could become a force with time.
Winnipeg look likely to fly the flag for Canada.

On the subject of hockey, shocking and tragic what happened out in Saskatchewan.

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sun 15 Apr 2018 12:32 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Leafs fought back a bit in game 2, was watching in the pub. Dont they have 3 more games?

I like Bruins as went to a game once.

7 games, so they could come back. Would love it (puts on KK voice) if they did Boston, no love lost for that mob at all.

Take off hosers ...