Topic: Berlin

Off to Berlin next Friday for a mates' 3 night 40th birthday jolly.

Half of us up for Berghain/Watergate clubbing madness, other half a bit more conservative in their nightlife tastes. 

Any suggestions in terms of boozers/clubs/food/sights, etc. for a group of 6 or 7 blokes. 

I think we're saying around Alexanderplatz.

Danke bitte.

Re: Berlin

Not Now Cato wrote:

Off to Berlin next Friday for a mates' 3 night 40th birthday jolly.

Half of us up for Berghain/Watergate clubbing madness, other half a bit more conservative in their nightlife tastes. 

Any suggestions in terms of boozers/clubs/food/sights, etc. for a group of 6 or 7 blokes. 

I think we're saying around Alexanderplatz.

Danke bitte.

Its ace Berlin. Hackenshacker market is lively but busy. Just round the corner from there is this little park that leads down to the river. Under the arches of the railway bridge that sandwiches the park up to the river are loads of bars and clubs all cool as fuck and full of fit german birds. this is a restaurant thats there, http://www.ampelmann-restaurant.de/ didn't go in there but. went in a bar next to it. Unfortunately I was with the wife and the ankle biters.

Clubs are notriously hard to get into unless there the ones where ladies take their clothes off for you. you'll find most of them in Charlottenberg. Mitte is where its at for night life bars. Last time I was there a woman we spoke to whilst camping near Potsdam says the Turkish areas are up and coming.

Aleanderplatz is a bit dull very touristy but you are a knats cock hair from loads of decent places to drink. Mitte is the old Eastern bloc part loads of cool shops, bars and restaurants.

I'll add more if I can think of it.

Berlin my favorite city in Europe. It's ace.

http://www.onemickjones.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2574

More here. you lucky get..

Cheers/danke/merci....

Taking in  Dynamo Berlin game while you're there ?

Mitte, big area. the south end is high end stores hotels south of Friedrichsrasse station, not much down there bar checkpoint Charlie and stores you'll find in most other cities.

intersting bit of Mitte is around bottom  Oranienburger (sp) St, Sconhauser allee, alte Schonhausera and where the Adidas store is. as PC says, loads of bars and bad hookers around Hackerschemarkt...

Food - try Kuchi on Gipstrasse, good japanese
Monsieur Vuong on Alteschinhauser
there's a blind restaurant somewhere round there if you fancy a laugh neutral

otherwise try White Trash north of the Torstrasse  - good pub food, loud music and girls young enough to be yer daughter, well not yours but you know what I mean lol

if you head up to Kollwitzplatz in the 'cool' neighbourhood of Prenzlauer Berg then there's loads of bars as wellm, faourite restauarant in Berlin is up, Russian place called Pasternak .. maybe not for a stag weekend though...

Shops, the usual shite but there is this gem on Gipstrasse - http://www.stickabush.com/

if you want big pubs, bars etc I think its all over in the West - avoid Neukolln big_smile

Kreuzberg is the old West Berlin anarchist/ dog on a string neighbourhood, and the Turkish capital of Germany. interesting bars down there but not that interesting

Biite Schon

Take off hosers ...

Untortunately no football options available Ted.  Union playing Friday teatime, Hertha are away.  Everything else is still on winter shutdown.

Mank thanks for the tips.

Mitte is good.

Marc O'Polo in the KaDeWe department store.

Transport system is ace.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

You can drink in kebab shops until 8 in the morning if that's any help

For reasons too complicated to mention here, I ended up visting Berlin on my own in the early nineties, not long after the Wall call came down.  Was there for one weekend and was pleased to find it coincided with a Hertha v Blau Weiss "Local Derby" which I took in.  All a bit of a disappointment as the crowd numbered about 8,000, of which c. 200 were "away", and all lost in the Olypmic Stadium.  The stadium itself though was very moody, and whilst I was there I read a book about the fall of Berlin in 1945 and apparently the Krauts and Russkies fought a vicious battle in and around it.

Had a surreal moment on the train home, when my train stopped at some god-forsaken little town.  on the opposite platform were "The Doctor" (Roger Daltry lookalike), Whitby J and a motley posse of several other Leeds fans heading East to watch England in Poland.

Berlin is ace and I've been again since.  Had a great night around the Hackescher Markt.  Went down Orianburger Str which housed a weird collection of bars.  Some dodgy but fit hookers about , who announced their presence by wearing little girdle things over their normal kit.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Last time I was there the wall was still up. Drove there from Hanover. Fascinating but frightening at the same time, especially the east german speed traps. East german autobahns made the roads round Bradford look like an F1 circuit - speed and you risked breaking you car. Did the old spray painting on the wall - our band at the time was Noah and The Aadvarks - blathered it all over the place. Bizarre place in those days - turn a corner and you walked into the wall. The west was ostentatious and brash - other side of the wall past the machine gun turrets, land mines electric fences, tank stops and barbed wire was grey and austere except for the comms tower. Loads of signs announcing you are now leaving the british sector, you are now entering the french or american sectors. The west even had its own beach. Strange place indeed in those days. Drove out south down to Nuremberg - east germans you encountered in motorway rest stops were terrified of speaking to westerners because of the stasi. You weren't allowed to leave the motorway either on a transit visa. An experience that's for sure.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Fucking amazing city. Currently my favourite place. Has got a vibe, man. I'll post a full review tomorrow when I've had a good nights rest. Future islands were as good as you'd expect TT. smile

I've had a sleep & it appears that CBIT can't take simple instruction, so hear goes.

I booked to go to Berlin with a couple of mates to see hertha v Stuttgart, the libertines & future islands, from sat to sun. However, the hertha game got moved to the Friday, so, after having a look at the fixture list supplemented it with Wolfsburg v augusburg, which involved a 1.5 he train journey. I flew into schonefeld airport and caught the train into Berlin, which is about 40mins. We were staying in a place near the river near to the east side gallery, near to universal music hq. Saturday was spent on the piss, starting at pirates bar, then caught a taxi to an Irish bar to watch the Leeds game and then walked back the long way past the sights. Like I said, the place has a vibe to it, that I've not felt anywhere before. There is an energy there. We carried on drinking, back to pirates via neighbourhood drinking send and sausage stalls, etc. we then cross over the fancy brick built bridge and bar crawled our way to the treptow arena. Got there about twenty minutes before the libertines came on. The gig had been moved from a smaller place and there must have been a good 4k in there. The venue is a fairly nondescript shed/hangar. It had a feel of a smaller g-mex. The libertines were good and Pete did a solo Albion that made my night, Carl walked on halfway through and finished it off on the harmonica. After the gig we walked over the river the other way and bar crawled our way back to the hotel.

On the Sunday, we caught the train to Wolfsburg to watch the match. I'd bought the tickets off the web beforehand and printed them off. The train journey was uneventfull, except for the fact that the countryside looks the spit of England. Got to Wolfsburg on time. The place is bizarre. It's basically what hit let had in mind I think when he started his nonsense in the 30's. The place is clinical, cold and stepford wives-esque. The buildings outside the train station are are low rise and modern, there's a modern architectural thing that gives way to a moving walkway that takes you over the river to a massive vw factory and museum. There's loads of well dressed security people everywhere. There's also a strange vw test track that runs along the river. Every so often thee are signs pointing the way to the stadium and distances. After about 1.5k the ground appears. It's got training pitches at either end and a lake and sports club to the left. Everything is immaculate. The grass bergs are cut like golf greens.

The stadium is newish and a bit soulless. It's about 30k capacity, and it ended up being about 24k I reckon. 50 or so away fans. They happy serve beer, but you have to buy a smart card and charge it up to pay for stuff. The game was shit to be fair. Two very limited teams playing stodgy, slow paced football. Walked back to the station and caught the train back to Berlin. Arrived on time. Caught a taxi to the future islands gig, which with at Astra kulturehaus. A busing that looked like it had been condemned. The gig was excellent, about 2k there. The lead singer is the thing that separates them the chaff. Saying that they are a good musicians. I'm not sure his 'style' carries for a full set. Very intense and might seem contrived after two songs of it. Saying that he works himself into a sweaty, chest pumping, growling frenzy. The gig ended, and we stayed drinking amongst the ro-ro containers in the beer garden. Later had a mooch about in some bars and nearly slapped a mouthy Australian who was being a dick.

I was thorough impressed by the place and will be returning before too long. Danke.

Misura wrote:

Fucking amazing city. Currently my favourite place. Has got a vibe, man. I'll post a full review tomorrow when I've had a good nights rest. Future islands were as good as you'd expect TT. smile

Wicker's back. Danke schon big_smile

Used to be way better, when it still had a eastern european vibe, and before Mitte/ Alexanderplatz/ Hackerscher Markt got turned into every other western euro city.

Still a great city.
Did you do the Olympic Stadium ?

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Thu 09 Oct 2014 11:48 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Nice one Misura.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Off there on a long weekend on 13th November.

Been there before, but with the mates, this time its two couples.

I've read the threads below but any suggestions regarding "sights", in addition to the usual stuff (Brandenberg Gate, Reichstag, Checkpoint Charlie etc)

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Long time since I was there a lot SSK but here you go.

Culture - Helmut Newton Foundation. Zoological Gardens - go there on Sunday morning and grab breakfast in the park - can't remember whats its called - beer garden basically that sells breakfast
Hire  a scooter - right by the giant balloon near Checkpoint Charlie ... lots to see in Berlin and its spread out ...
Flea market - strasse 17 juni
head up to Prenzlauer Berg - loads of cafes, restuarants, couple with MTB strollers big_smile
Liebskind Jewish Museum
Fernsehn Tower ( distinctly stuck in the 50's ) worth a trip to the top for a drink

More to come if I can think of it and ask Misura, if he can remember big_smile

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Mon 09 Nov 2015 3:38 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Really loving this city.

We got here late Thursday and walked north to a superb neoplitan restaurant called Standard Pizza. Bloody delicious.

Seems it's all cash here.

No cards.

Spent all of Good Friday walking from Mitte and weaving through the city following the wall route spending a good hour in the Topography of Terror museum. My girlfriends is obsessed with World War Two, bizzarely. The whole photographic exhibition focuses on the buildings near Checkpoint Charlie that orchestrated the depths of the Nazi regime.

Strong stuff, utterly fascinating but scary. Amazing how they took so much evidence of what they were doing.

Round the Brandenburg gate and a stroll through the massive park which I wasn't expecting. All great cities need a big park.

After a few beers in the Monkey Bar - roof top bar over the zoo - we headed back to the hotel and out to a place called Buck and Breck somewhere north of the shopping area. It look closed. It had a sign saying closed. I rang the bell and shifty 19 year old ushers us in and forces our phones into lockers.

Great cocktails in a modern take on a speakeasy. Obviously a bit wanky hipster but that seems to be the thing here at the moment without it spoling anything.

Suitably pissed we went onto a restaurant called Crackers. Ex-club turned eatery, the tables are on the old dancefloor. Again, fucking great food.

It may have cost a small fortune. I may or may not have paid. I cannot remember exactly what I ate. But I left happy.

Today I've spent most of the day explaining to my girlfriend that buying more scadi-inspired artifacts for the house that would breach Ryanair's carry on policy is not the best use of our time.

Had the best breakfast in living memory in a place called Father Carpenters. Rocket fuel coffee took some getting used to but couldn't fault the food. Gazed into the Filson shop to look at stuff I can't afford.

I did however come across a place making mens clothes in the shop called AD Deertz and bought a beltin' rain coat that's sharp as fuck in waterproof cotton that would be twice the price in Oi Polloi.

Which was good becaused it pissed it down.

Next door was a Copenhagen based beerhouse called Mikkeller. 24 beers on tap.

Just spent a few hours in the east of the city looking at the murals on the wall before walking to Kruezeberg.

"My God, help me to survive this deadly love."

Kreuzeberg, by the way, is like a fucking warzone. We stupidly walked through Golitzer Park. It was like a scene from The Wire. Dealers, wall to wall. Berlin has a tolerance of weed below small weights. So basically it's a free for all. Jesus fucking christ. We'd walked too far in before we realised and pressed on.

Avoid.

Or not if you want cheap weed. The white lads sell the stronger stuff apparently.

Anyway, one currywurst later and a few more beers to avoid the rain and we're about to head out.

This is Loose Lips. Signing off.

Toronto Ted wrote:

Prenzlauer Berg

That's tomorrow's plan.

Great report LL.

Hang on if you're there and CBIT is Stateside, who's running this show?

Great report.

I did some uber un cool bike tour around the wall and that park. Was a bit worrying, but on bikes and an organised thing so the clockers avoided us.

I went on a stag there last October , 50 lads of which 40 never seen much outside of an Irish bar paying €6.5 a pint. Few of us escaped and did the tourist bus one day and a trip to an east Berlin student district which I forget the name of,another afternoon.We had a few beers in that Xmas market / beer festival where the terrorist attack took place, as it was about half way from our hotel and the Irish bar . Our only did into the culture.
Would like to  visit again with maybe the misses and see more . We had a great weekend though , 50 mates in 40's/50's won't happen again for us. Nobody nicked , no trouble and everyone got home .

To stand aside is to take sides.

Loose Lips wrote:

Really loving this city.

W

Next door was a Copenhagen based beerhouse called Mikkeller. 24 beers on tap.

This is Loose Lips. Signing off.

Mikkeller is a Danish bloke, calls himself a gypsy brewer, travels around meeting up with other brewers and then collaborates on beer recipes and brewing batches, and he's very good - not a bad way to spend a life

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

white dragon wrote:

I went on a stag there last October , 50 lads of which 40 never seen much outside of an Irish bar paying €6.5 a pint. Few of us escaped and did the tourist bus one day and a trip to an east Berlin student district which I forget the name of,another afternoon.We had a few beers in that Xmas market / beer festival where the terrorist attack took place, as it was about half way from our hotel and the Irish bar . Our only did into the culture.
Would like to  visit again with maybe the misses and see more . We had a great weekend though , 50 mates in 40's/50's won't happen again for us. Nobody nicked , no trouble and everyone got home .

Been to Dusseldorf and our lot did something similar with an Irish bar.  Germany is set up for blokes boozing, that's what they do.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.