Topic: Northumberland coast

Never been, not since I was about four anyway.. Cottage in Beadnall. Any good?

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Re: Northumberland coast

Fucking cracking area

Find Low Newton by the Sea. Park the car at the top of the village and go for a walk on the sands. Stretches for miles. Then when you have worked up an appetite return to Low Newton and treat yourself to lucnh in the only pub there is there.

Also worth a trip to Seahouses and a walk along the sand dunes there. There's loads of nice places though you can't go wrong.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

http://www.onemickjones.com/forum/viewt … p?id=13779

Beautiful if you get good weather. If it's bad you get to wear all your gear and spend more time in the pub.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Great start.. Adidas Walking boots, new fleece and my bargain Decathlon waterproof, topped off with my Buff buff for a yomp down the beach on arrival.. Just the sort of weather you want, windy, occasional bursts of sunlight, dark threatening clouds you can see from miles away. Did an hour or so walking along a fantastic and all-but deserted stretch of coast. Then back to check out the pub, The Craster Arms. Excellent pint of something called Workie, then decided to have a meal there. Entertained by a mad woman who was looking at the paintings in Thd bar and commenting on them, to herself. I was going to have fish stew but they were waiting for some of the ingredients to be brought off the boat at Eynmouth so I settled for an excellent fish and chips instead.
Another pint, game of pool then back to our abode. I've been for another walk along the beach, off to Alnwick tomorrow for Harry Potter castle...

Obl - get some craster kippers chop up and mix in with scrambled egg just prio  to the egg being done serve on toast

placidcasual wrote:

Obl - get some craster kippers chop up and mix in with scrambled egg just prio  to the egg being done serve on toast

Spent a very cold half term last year fishing off the harbour at Craster. Didn't catch anything, not even the preverbial cold.

You could smell the wood burning and the fish smoking from the smoking house a couple of hundred yards away. Lovely smell.

"Well so could anyone"

The Harry Potter castle is ace.  When we went you could select from a choice of medieval costumes to wear. They also have a big dungeon thing with a hall of mirrors and lots of animatronic monsters etc.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Two R's wrote:

They also have a big dungeon thing with a hall of mirrors and lots of animatronic monsters etc.

Welcome to my bedroom and Mrs H

"Well so could anyone"

Decent day out at Alnwick castle and gardens. Cost nearly £50 for the four of us but we had a couple of tours for that.. I'm not a big Potterite but the kids live it so they appreciated the castle, I preferred the gardens with impressive fountains, artworks and the best bit, the poison garden-very good tour guide there.. Did you know you could wipe out a family by substituting their spring onions with daffodil bulbs? They grow opium there as well.
I got a sense of wanting to create some class war havoc in the Duke Of Northumberland's house. I confined myself to writing 'all property is sin' in the visitor's book, then bottled it as my wife had put our names down, so changed the entry to 'all property is super'...

ObL69 wrote:

Decent day out at Alnwick castle and gardens. Cost nearly £50 for the four of us but we had a couple of tours for that.. I'm not a big Potterite but the kids live it so they appreciated the castle, I preferred the gardens with impressive fountains, artworks and the best bit, the poison garden-very good tour guide there.. Did you know you could wipe out a family by substituting their spring onions with daffodil bulbs? They grow opium there as well.
I got a sense of wanting to create some class war havoc in the Duke Of Northumberland's house. I confined myself to writing 'all property is sin' in the visitor's book, then bottled it as my wife had put our names down, so changed the entry to 'all property is super'...

You seem to be taking the news that Mol is your new boss pretty well.

Or haven't you heard yet?

You'll need to run that one by me... News rarely reaches these distant parts til long after the event..

Tolley wrote:

big_smile:D:D

Tolley wrote:
ObL69 wrote:

I'll be a nice surprise for him when he gets back.  lol

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

You been appointed manager of t'vets?

Rest easy and enjoy the holiday. I'll be a work colleague from next week but not the same department.

Jeez.. Good luck, I hope you've rhino-hide for skin...

Bamburgh (or however you spell it) Castle is tops as well with a beauty little jet/war/arms museum

Bamburgh beach is ace, plus some great rock pools by the lighthouse. Carry on past the lighthouse and you'll probably have the beach to yourself -acres of golden sand.

Lindisfarne is worth a visit, as is Low Newton / Dunstanburgh / Ship Inn, as mentioned above. Inland there's great walking around Wooler - probably not for the kids though.

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

Kevin Stapleton wrote:

Lindisfarne is worth a visit

Check the tide times for the causeway crossing to Lindisfarne before you set off or you could have a much shorter or longer stay than you planned.

ObL69 wrote:

Jeez.. Good luck, I hope you've rhino-hide for skin...

Signed up today, seems ok so far. Not many offices have a full size american pool table, you can probably guess which department from that. Start next week, parking the only concern, might have to bus it. The horror.

Haha! Same office.. Don't be trying to lead me astray.. Nobody laughs by the way.

We get discounted tickets for the big car park next door - not that I've ever driven in. Might have a few still kicking about though.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Back on topic.. Beautiful day, been to Bamburgh castle where the kids were entertained with the guides' ghost stories, to such an extent that the youngest was so traumatized by the end that she had to flee the dungeons.

Had a crab sarnie and pint of Farne bitter at theBamburgh Castle Inn, which is actually in Seahouses. Great view across the harbour and beach. Then managed to spend £14 on a Columbia fleece from the bargain clothes store across the road, they had Mephisto copies for 30 quid as well.
Off to Low Newton for a pint at the Ship and a walk on the beach this evening.
Home tomorrow after a very enjoyable week.

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/D4AC02DA-9C03-4409-9236-5488A657A574_zpsgl3y3inr.jpg

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/2EE704C0-7B00-4761-A8F4-86161220C88C_zpsfjd4ashn.jpg

Taken yesterday. Lovely place if weather decent.