Topic: The Hunslet pub crawl.

Was meeting up with OC on Saturday night so decided to take 'r' lass back to my drinking roots. Started off in the Penny Hill. My first ever pub - 15 years of age and shitting myself. Well 30+ years later it is still the land that time forgot just no Leek Street flats anymore.. It was packed full of the older, 'less desirable', croud. All boasting they don't work, haven't for years and wouldn't ce starting. One bloke, early 40's, dirty as in mucky, starts up at me. I just told him to piss off (wife didn't like) which he did. He was an alcoholic. best way to deal with them. Anyway after a while in the toilets he comes out and in front of the whole pub processed to get his dick out out shove it in his drink. It was only a half as well.

Quickly moved on the The Sun. Teh sign on the outside stating the pub was for sale probably summed it up. A pub that was broken!!! Sad, used to be great in there. It was part of the route we used to do when I played rugby. So sad to see a pub like that. It seems it also attracts a similar clientelle - middle aged people pissed up by 7pm. Ahh well such is life.

Then I moved on to the Gardeners. Sadly empty at this time but still a great pub. So much character and the people that were in, so friendly. Rugby was on so that was the talking point.

Then to the Engine. A total revamp, it now looks more like a LS1 wine bar. But it  has a nice feeling to it. Hope it pays off for the owners. Might even go and have a bit to eat in there one day as well.

And finally to the Bay Horse. Packed because a band was playing and there were a few older knob heads who you could tell woudl be happy to oblige in afight. But the atmosphere was good, the beer flowed and it was a great night. One thing though the price of a round did go up dramatically through the evening. Started off at around £9, then up to £12.50 and finished at £14 for the same drinks.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Re: The Hunslet pub crawl.

does the punch clock still get busy ? used to be some ace nights down there on a Thursday and a Sunday. to say I live in Morley dont bother with Hunslet these days, but remember when that rugby club down there used to have the one for the boys nights. Lorrimer extended them down to his gaff on sweet street.

Should of gone in here Heyho. A truly beautiful pub.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGWNQr3qP8-kJXOI8pTQI_4YhER_yHn-Htx72eqF2nsirZUy2vkg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_IgfTnMWahvyhr9ofD-UCKMyXc4aGixdQ_QtuvH6b_RfsLdxbFA

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpuhpyFLcfkIBOBUpVoYX_nkHAt7cvH5VTbaxYcf2RBancc7Dbqw

Last edited by placidcasual (Thu 24 Nov 2011 9:27 am)

placidcasual wrote:

Should of gone in here Heyho. A truly beautiful pub.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGWNQr3qP8-kJXOI8pTQI_4YhER_yHn-Htx72eqF2nsirZUy2vkg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_IgfTnMWahvyhr9ofD-UCKMyXc4aGixdQ_QtuvH6b_RfsLdxbFA

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpuhpyFLcfkIBOBUpVoYX_nkHAt7cvH5VTbaxYcf2RBancc7Dbqw

where's that?

#DoTheDai \o/

When I saw that I immediately thought, Adelphi on Hunslet Rd. I'm off in there tomorrow, can't fucking wait.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

The staff stop the post match drunken singers, it's like the scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail in Swamp Castle - stop that stop that your'e not going into a song while I'm here.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Zephyr Eleven wrote:

When I saw that I immediately thought, Adelphi on Hunslet Rd. I'm off in there tomorrow, can't fucking wait.

It's changed a bit since those photos though hasnt it?  Whenever I go in there and see all the snooty snotty types drinking their non-ale drinks, I feel like asking them Where were you when this wa a proper pub and needed you,, you cunt?  and then I realise a) it would be a pointless rant and b) that they might not have been old enough to drink until this century.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Garden Gate though isn't it?

TheHumanDynamo wrote:

Garden Gate though isn't it?

I did think that, but became convinced it's the old Adelphi!?

Must be 5 years since been in the GG, it wasn't Tetleys' last time I was there anyway.  It's Leeds' now isn't it?

EDITED - course it's not the Adelphi, but that bottom photo looks like the room immediately on the left in the Adelphi.  Fuckwit I am (deleted Yoda dialogue).

Last edited by old codger (Fri 25 Nov 2011 12:03 pm)

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

I thought it was The Grove when I first saw it.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Garden Gate. Hunslet. I went down recently just to have a look. It's lush inside. No detail left out, its presereved in its original state where possible. Took some snaps I'll bang em up when can.

Bit different from the Adelphi as they've gone for the shabby chic look.

GG's funny. It's Leeds' flagship pub but its slap bang in the middle of a council estate, kind of out of place really. When I was there two 20's lads outside asked me for a light for their spliff. I didnt have one but spoke to them a bit about it. It's like the same shit from lads on estates the country over "yeah its a decent boozer, gone down hill cos the landlord's a knob head" probably doesnt let them smoke skunk and do gear in the tap room.

It's the best pub in Leeds as far as I'm concerned.

Featured in that South Riding drama series on the BBC  with that ginger bird.  Anna Maxwell Martin?

"We are The Fall"

Young Marxist at Tescos wrote:

It's the best pub in Leeds as far as I'm concerned.

Featured in that South Riding drama series on the BBC  with that ginger bird.  Anna Maxwell Martin?

Not doubting you YM but could that have been the Gardeners and not the GG?

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Went in the Garden Gate yesterday, I swear if I had a million quid I'd pay to have the whole place moved to the nearest bit of spare land near the Vic because it is a fantasic pub.

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

Customer of mine.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.