Topic: Sunday Lunch/Dinner

Bit of a ritual in our house this. Slap in a roast, out for a walk in the autumn sunshine, laze about reading the papers or indeed listening to your football team labor to an underwhelming result.

This week I've got 4 shanks of lamb cooking in a mirepoix (carrots, onion, garlic and celery), half a tin of tinned toms, 2 pints of stock, ground cumin, corriander, salt pepper, paprika, cinnamon stick, chopped dates and apricots. Done it before but with mirepoix, red wine and bay leaf. Always with loads of Rosemary. 

Rotating the lamb on the hour, cooking for four. once cooked set the shanks aside and blend the mix for the gravy. Will be serving with roast pots (maris pipers), broccoli, mashed carrot/parsnip and Yorkshires (aunt Bessie's unfortunately).

Sunny autumn Sunday afternoon's are what life's about.

Anyone else got a decent Sunday roast recipe?

Edited to say, I've only just found out what a mirepoix is by the way.

Last edited by placidcasual (Sun 06 Nov 2011 4:19 pm)

Re: Sunday Lunch/Dinner

Did Lamb Shanks last night, the Lorraine Pascal recipe. A bottle of balsamic and half a bottle of red init for the sauce. Sauce was way too heavy. Yours sounds a lot better. although mash and no yorkshires for me.

Today we had harrisa grilled chicken, - mix harrisa with olive oil, coat chicken and leave in fridge for an hour and then grill, serve with pitta, salad and some very cold white wine. Marvellous.

gorefidel wrote:

Did Lamb Shanks last night, the Lorraine Pascal recipe. A bottle of balsamic and half a bottle of red init for the sauce. Sauce was way too heavy. Yours sounds a lot better. although mash and no yorkshires for me.

Today we had harrisa grilled chicken, - mix harrisa with olive oil, coat chicken and leave in fridge for an hour and then grill, serve with pitta, salad and some very cold white wine. Marvellous.

I'll be chucking a bit of cider vinegar into finish the sauce after the shanks are done.

I love a bit of harrisa me. Not put any in this as the kids dont like it.

How the other half live eh?

We had fish and chips from Murgatroyds up the road....no fucker could be arsed cooking today!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Gone with braising steak (nice cheap cut Mol) with Gore's red wine/balsmic mix.

I hope you're factoring vets fixtures into this Sunday afternoon extravaganza PC..? I've had to peel the spuds pre-match or stick a chicken in on getting home before now.
We almost always have chicken. Best meal of the week.

Formica is a nice bit of wood

placidcasual wrote:

Got a 2KG gammon cooking in the oven, not a cheap cut neither. I'm aware of the cheaper cuts and how to cook them mate, but it doesn't work as well for one. I had just finished work at 9pm the other evening and fancied something for my tea, not spend 30 minutes preparing then waiting 3 hours for it to cook. The gammon will do today and tomorrow [eaten cold with hot bread sauce] and sandwiches for work.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

ObL69 wrote:

I hope you're factoring vets fixtures into this Sunday afternoon extravaganza PC..? I've had to peel the spuds pre-match or stick a chicken in on getting home before now.
We almost always have chicken. Best meal of the week.

Slow cook casseroles. Its winter food after all.

Bung it in first thing before Junior footy then leave on slow all day. Cant fail.

placidcasual wrote:

Be aware it makes a really heavy sauce..the spoon pretty much stands up in it.

Balsamic in sauce is now banned in our house

gorefidel wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Took heed of your original post. It's 1 part red wine, 1 part beef stock and 1 part Balsamic. Shouldn't be as rich.

placidcasual wrote:
gorefidel wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Took heed of your original post. It's 1 part red wine, 1 part beef stock and 1 part Balsamic. Shouldn't be as rich.

You've been warned.

gorefidel wrote:
placidcasual wrote:
gorefidel wrote:

You've been warned.

Got the mire poix in it also. Forgot Garlic though just blended its pretty good.

I love the cooking threads, they're fucking great.

Take off hosers ...

Yesterday was Tikka spiced kebabs with rice, chips and a curry dipping sauce.

Just for once I couldn't be arsed with the sunday roast thing.

Eating tofu and hating it.

old yeadonian wrote:

How the other half live eh?

We had fish and chips from Murgatroyds up the road....no fucker could be arsed cooking today!

big_smile

Went to the Juicer at the top of my road for a huge plate of roast lamb and veg.

Most satisfactory. Especially, if like me, you're a lazy cunt.

usualy like to cook ours i enjoy it  , but the other sunday we booked hazelwood castle £21.50 for 3 courses its fantastic , pork terrine followed by roast beef all the trimmings and proper homemade yorkies , finished with an assortment of desserts lemon tart we had , i suggest you let the mrs drive so you can enjoy a bottle of red with your beef .

That looks spot on.

http://www.hazlewood-castle.co.uk/

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Mol wrote:

That looks spot on.

http://www.hazlewood-castle.co.uk/

still looks the same when it first opened after almost 15 yrs , got married there in 2000 spent 15k in a day

Beef Stew with Paprika.

Brown off stewing steak coated in flour and paprika set aside. Fry the onion, garlic, carrots, celery, in same pan as beef until tender not burnt. Add chopped swede and potato then put all into a casserole dish with some stock (I used lamb left over from a previous Sunday dinner) bay leaves and fresh thyme. Salt and pepper. Cook all day.

My wife spent a small fortune on a joint of beef from the butcher's in East Kes. Worth every penny!
We walked to Bingley Arms while it cooked.. Bardsey vets fc were labouring in the sun somewhere in Harrogate whilst I supped a Leeds Pale, then back for the beef. Made a great change from usual chicken.
Rounded off with a game of catch in the garden and a good red. Haven't missed playing to be honest.

ObL69 wrote:

My wife spent a small fortune on a joint of beef from the butcher's in East Kes. Worth every penny!
We walked to Bingley Arms while it cooked.. Bardsey vets fc were labouring in the sun somewhere in Harrogate whilst I supped a Leeds Pale, then back for the beef. Made a great change from usual chicken.
Rounded off with a game of catch in the garden and a good red. Haven't missed playing to be honest.

Nice. Kids footy finished last week, stayed in bed till 10:30 for first time in years..

Cold poached salmon, new potato salad with red onion and chive and a pak choi, broccoli and cucumber salad with rice wine and chilli dressing.

Lemonade cup cakes with raspberry buttercream.

God bless the Mrs.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Bring us in a couple of sandwiches tomorrow OBL.

Last edited by Mol (Sun 01 Apr 2012 9:44 pm)

Wife made a lovely steak and ale pie with mash,broccoli,green beans and carrots.

Only thing lacking was a bit of duff for dessert,TB's cupcakes would have hit the spot.
As it happens had to settle for a couple of Tunnocks caramel wafers with a brew!

Need to have words I reckon!!

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Mol wrote:

Bring us in a couple of sandwiches tomorrow OBL.

Wasn't much left, demolished it!