Topic: Windows 8

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Windows 8

I think Windows 8 is for tablets only and is basically a home screen over the top of Windows 7 - or it was when I last looked at it with work.

Why they seem to have plumped for a failed phone OS style approach to translate to Windows 8 is beyond me.

Nah, it's a full fat OS release. Public beta out in February.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Mol wrote:

Nah, it's a full fat OS release. Public beta out in February.

I stand corrected, sir.

I've installed a pre beta version. looks exactly like Windows 7 but with a stupid front end full of 'panes' that you are greeted with on boot up.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Anyone used this on a PC yet? It looks awful.

Wait for service pack 1

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Been playing with Windows 8 for about a year now.

It's true it is being targetting for the touch screen tablet market (watch for an explosion in devices there) but it isn't just for these. It's basically Windows 7 with a shitty front end (well a front end for novice users anyway) and no start button. So you download a frig that gets rid of the front end and puts the start button back and hey presto you have Windows 7 again. (well except you have the headache of potential application incompatibility).

I don't think Micro$oft will want another Vista situation so they wil be putting a lot of effort into this o/s release

Remember Mol that awful front end (originally called metro but that name has now been dropped due to a potential law suite) is something they are putting across their whole range of kit from the Xbox to mobile phones. It sort of works on a tablet that hast touch screen and on a mobile phone.

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:

Been playing with Windows 8 for about a year now.

It's true it is being targetting for the touch screen tablet market (watch for an explosion in devices there) but it isn't just for these. It's basically Windows 7 with a shitty front end (well a front end for novice users anyway) and no start button. So you download a frig that gets rid of the front end and puts the start button back and hey presto you have Windows 7 again. (well except you have the headache of potential application incompatibility).

I don't think Micro$oft will want another Vista situation so they wil be putting a lot of effort into this o/s release

Remember Mol that awful front end (originally called metro but that name has now been dropped due to a potential law suite) is something they are putting across their whole range of kit from the Xbox to mobile phones. It sort of works on a tablet that hast touch screen and on a mobile phone.

And everyone is making there apps look the same way. The future is touch screen, unless your a processing type clerk or a 'power user' - and even for them, it dumbs down enough and pushes enough information to the user so they have to think less in the case of the former (and that will become more apparent as native Win 8 apps are pushed out and there's a big difference than just porting them as the whole way people use stuff will change, even on a PC).

The latter and the nerds have a problem.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

I stuck it on an older laptop just to take a look at it. Good deal at the mo $39 for the upgrade plus you can get a licence for the media centre add-on free. Wouldn't upgrade from XP so had to get some bootleg media via a torrent. Best to bite the bullet and do a clean install. It's a whole lot better than Vista. As you say with a lot of people less is more so they will be happy with the front end. Me I'm sticking with XP SP3...

When you're doing everyday stuff like most people what do you really notice between OSs anyway? 8 seems different because it seems aimed at tablets but the 7, Vista, XP, what's the big deal for most users?

XP sp3 media centre on old laptop the burglars missed & Windows 7 at work. Looking at an i5 Lenovo laptop that's got Windows 8 only & I have found an app that'll restore the start menu, cheers Heyho. Going forward, I can't imagine touchscreen & my nose to a screen at home, work maybe, but not sat on the sofa. Those new hybrid jobbies seem to combine nothing both the limitations of both. Tablets are great if you can afford another item to browse only, a laptop that does both that and processing is what I need.

Mol wrote:

XP sp3 media centre on old laptop the burglars missed & Windows 7 at work. Looking at an i5 Lenovo laptop that's got Windows 8 only & I have found an app that'll restore the start menu, cheers Heyho. Going forward, I can't imagine touchscreen & my nose to a screen at home, work maybe, but not sat on the sofa. Those new hybrid jobbies seem to combine nothing both the limitations of both. Tablets are great if you can afford another item to browse only, a laptop that does both that and processing is what I need.

Wait for the Surface pro.

What & when?

Mol wrote:

What & when?

http://www.microsoft.com/Surface/en-US/ … 8-pro/home

Ah, I'll wait for the sixth or seventh generation.

Mol wrote:

Ah, I'll wait for the sixth or seventh generation.

So get yourself a cheap ultrabook running W7 - there's no point to W8 right now, unless you want a touch thing - until they rewrite apps for new platform (not port). Just pissing money away on what will be unstable and limited for a good 18 months

That's just it, I don't want 8 but it's pre installed on almost all new machines. They are really pushing it hard.

theres pletny of 'free' W7 ultimate ISOs out there and a really easy USB install utility -    http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/mss … vd_dwnTool  - which makes a USB installer. Just get a laptop, delete everything (after making sure you've got the driver set smile ) and stick the USB in. Works a treat (as someone who manged to totally fuck a brand new laptop inside 10 min when I tried to repartion the C drive, I can confirm)

Last edited by gore (Thu 29 Nov 2012 10:09 pm)

I use 7 on my main laptop at home and in my current job. It's solid and the app and driver support almost as good as XP. I'd avoid 8 like the plague for the time being. Can't see most businesses going to 8 and most are still on XP anyway. The cost of touchscreens alone is prohibitive even before you look at upgrading or porting apps to it...

hey - think that's bad then wait till you upgrade to Office 2013.

Just when you get used to the look and feel of Office 2010 after using Office 2003 for years what comes along but Office 2013.

I would call it Office 2010 with anaemia

"Well so could anyone"

Still on 2003, 2010 at work, hate it. Cheers Gore.

Lad just got a new PC with windows 8 on it. Have to say so far its good. Plays all his games etc. And I quite like it to use.

gore wrote:

Lad just got a new PC with windows 8 on it. Have to say so far its good. Plays all his games etc. And I quite like it to use.

Good God Gore (now that's a mouthful). You will be buying an Apple Mac next

"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:
gore wrote:

Good God Gore (now that's a mouthful). You will be buying an Apple Mac next

Err, no way. Got a mint Asus for him, with a shit hot processor, 6gb of ram, 750gb disk and a 2gb dedicated graphics card for £529 from laptops direct.

You couldn't by a fucking bag from apple for that.

Seriously, looks like they've sorted the drivers out before the launch for once.