Re: Death List 2018

1979-1983 a great time for music, no band came close to The Fall. They oozed attitude that was more relevant to me as a young northerner entering the adult world than any other band at the time. All the other serious bands were posturing in comparison and didn't come close.

Yep, this  ^

"We are The Fall"

Good words SL. Bit later than that time frame, (I was a bit young to "get them"  in the early years) but I always liked this:

COME BACK HERE!

^  This.  I got a few Peel Sessions on recommendation.  The stuff I didn't like definitely outweighed what I did like but what I liked I really liked.

I doubt we will see another like MES - say what you like but it is fucking ace that such an unconventional act/person made such an impression on the public consciousness. 

Frank Zappa nailed the music biz some time ago.

I hate how a subjective medium is crushed by someones fucking opinion.

Anyhoo - what was Mark E Smith's diet like in the 80's out of interest?

Last edited by danpiesley (Fri 26 Jan 2018 10:36 am)

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

^  This.  I got a few Peel Sessions on recommendation.  The stuff I didn't like definitely outweighed what I did like but what I liked I really liked.

I doubt we will see another like MES - say what you like but it is fucking ace that such an unconventional act/person made such an impression on the public consciousness. 

Frank Zappa nailed the music biz some time ago.

I hate how a subjective medium is crushed by someones fucking opinion.

Anyhoo - what was Mark E Smith's diet like in the 80's out of interest?

I think it's been well catalogued elsewhere, but his primary intakes seemed to be speed, beer and cigs (not necessarily in that order)  Once spent nearly a full day in his company and he never ate a thing.  I've seen recent TV appearances where he appeared to be drinking lager.  I'd love to know when and why he switched from bitter.

"We are The Fall"

I posted something on FB about his passing and I'd say 75% of people came back with "who's he?"

These are not kids or the elderly - these are people with a serious love of music who I've been kicking around with for years.  They simply didn't know who he was or that he was the lead singer of The Fall (most,  at least,  had heard of the band!)

My point?  Within OMJ I think we represent quite a small cross section of the population when it comes to being open minded about music/books/sport/culture or whatever.  It's not that we are a particular class or IQ or stuff like that,  more that our receptors are more open to imbibe what's around us

I'm rambling now and understand there's other forums who do the same - the point is that I suspect Mark E Smith isn't a big part of most people's history and he's not as big as perhaps we might believe

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

He made the 10 O'clock news = ledge or some such balls.

Aim Low and miss...

So strange. I told myself I would go see then live this year if he ever got back out of bed or the wheelchair.

Seen him in my local in Monton a few times.

Certainly a had the look of a vicious bastard but I think he just didn’t suffer fools.

danpiesley wrote:

He made the 10 O'clock news = ledge or some such balls.

He also had good feature on Newsnight

And you need to change your friends RHS, my feed was wall to wall Fall vids and tributes.

CBIT wrote:

And you need to change your friends RHS, my feed was wall to wall Fall vids and tributes.

Maybe I do smile

Although I saw enough on here to be honest......

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

My old man got into them when 'I Am Kurious Orange' came out. Used to go around the house saying 'it was the fault-ah of the government-ah'.  I was never a huge fan tbh but thank god for people like him. Completely unaffected by fads and trends. Doing his thing his way. I think that's what the old man liked about him.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Smutty Lips wrote:

1979-1983 a great time for music, no band came close to The Fall. They oozed attitude that was more relevant to me as a young northerner entering the adult world than any other band at the time. All the other serious bands were posturing in comparison and didn't come close.

Bit younger for this era, but yes

Take off hosers ...

Musically live they were fuckin mint at Brudenell few years back.

Listening to the albums takes some effort for me.

Hit The North is fucking mint. Liked that period around Code Selfish - stuff like Free Range. Which I sing every time I'm poaching eggs to this day.

Site stalwart.

And Edinburgh Man. Not Fallish really but lovely.

Site stalwart.

Bill is Dead, Telephone Thing and Sparta FC I like.

Stacey Young.

Looker.

The BBC1 Final Whistle thing opened up with some Fall.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

Howard "Lewy" Lewis, Actor, 76.

Daughter's claiming he was put on to a mixture of terminally ill meds in December by the NHS and that he wasn't actually terminally ill. Imagine. Great actor, starred in a lot of favourites.

https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/sites/beyondthejoke.co.uk/files/styles/large/public/lewis1.jpg?itok=1Jqltd0m

king of the slums wrote:

Daughter's claiming he was put on to a mixture of terminally ill meds in December by the NHS and that he wasn't actually terminally ill. Imagine. Great actor, starred in a lot of favourites.

https://www.beyondthejoke.co.uk/sites/beyondthejoke.co.uk/files/styles/large/public/lewis1.jpg?itok=1Jqltd0m

Elmo from Brush Strokes

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Elmo from Brush Strokes

...and in Maid Marrian and her Merry Men, which in my book was the funniest kids comedy show ever.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

space wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
king of the slums wrote:

Elmo from Brush Strokes

...and in Maid Marrian and her Merry Men, which in my book was the funniest kids comedy show ever.

And Blag in Chelmsford 123 - 8 mins and 6 secs in if you please.. big_smile

He seemed to be in loads of stuff, most of it good..

Flat pack king Ingvar Kamprad, founder of Ikea

Billy Hunt Billy Hunt Billy Billy Beleive!