Re: Whisky...

I'm a Bourbon man.

Woodford for an Old Fashioned.

Developed a taste for Johnny Walker Green Label.  I like it more than any single malt.  Can't afford to drink it all the time but if I see it on special for £28-£30 quid and it's not far from payday I let myself have one.  Black Label at £20 a pop is also a good buy.  My single malt loving friends say I'm wrong about it, but I like what I like.

Also, Aldi have an 8 year old blended whiskey for £12 a bottle that is seriously not far from Black Label according to my taste buds.

People are Twats

Discovered the Talisker Skye that Asda were knocking out at £25 a bottle.  It's my new favourite thing.

People are Twats

We’ve got a bottle of Tullamore Dew on the go at present. Nice drink.

To stand aside is to take sides.

space wrote:

Developed a taste for Johnny Walker Green Label.  I like it more than any single malt.  Can't afford to drink it all the time but if I see it on special for £28-£30 quid and it's not far from payday I let myself have one.  Black Label at £20 a pop is also a good buy.  My single malt loving friends say I'm wrong about it, but I like what I like.

Also, Aldi have an 8 year old blended whiskey for £12 a bottle that is seriously not far from Black Label according to my taste buds.

I work with some proper whiskey snobs. Group of them bought a cask or whatever it is they distill it in years ago. They do trips every year. Talk about 'peat' a lot. Can't fucking stand the stuff but, as with all drinks, you like what you like. That'll do.

Last edited by Travis Bickle (Tue 26 Dec 2017 10:06 pm)

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

space wrote:

Discovered the Talisker Skye that Asda were knocking out at £25 a bottle.  It's my new favourite thing.

Used to drink that as our family history originates on Skye but I find the smokiness off-putting now.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Jura is smooth.  Been to Tomatin and Dalwhinnie distilleries and they were nice.

Vowed I'd never do it again but couldn't avoid the wife's uncle giving me a nip a week or so ago.

I'm still attracted to that warmth that envelopes you.

Slightly off theme but had a couple of large brandys last night after a nice meal.
Not drank brandy for years.

Very nice too.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Asda's own brand single is VERY good, there's a Highland, Islay and a Speyside. Usually about £18.50. All first class, used to be a neat man but now appreciate how a splash of water opens up the flavour. There's a really nice Welsh single malt called Penderyn, it's lovely.

Nembutal numbs it all
But I prefer… alcohol!

Gigrash wrote:

Asda's own brand single is VERY good, there's a Highland, Islay and a Speyside. Usually about £18.50. All first class, used to be a neat man but now appreciate how a splash of water opens up the flavour. There's a really nice Welsh single malt called Penderyn, it's lovely.

I like to drop a small piece of ice into mine.  Again, the whisky snobs tell me I'm wring to do that, but I like what I like.

People are Twats

space wrote:
Gigrash wrote:

I like to drop a small piece of ice into mine.  Again, the whisky snobs tell me I'm wring to do that, but I like what I like.

I progressed from an ice cube to a splash of water, not a great deal of difference. I suppose with the ice cube you slow down the dilution so you get the best of neat and a mix. Might give the ice cube another go : )
The whisky snobs are as bad as the craft beer wankers, until I can justify paying £45 and over for a bottle they can drown in their own incontinence ; )

Nembutal numbs it all
But I prefer… alcohol!

Cardhu Gold Label. 

Usually £39-£42 a bottle.  Got one for £25 from the end of bin shelf at the Asda.

Good Highland fair.  Low on smoke.  High on sweetness.  More sugar than honey.  Tang of apples but low on spice.  Tastewise it's similar to something from The Dalwhinie but not quite as smooth or spicy, but if it's the kind of thing you like then worth the discounted price I paid. 

I'm getting the hang on this.

I still reckon that the £12 a bottle 8 year old blended from Aldi is (pound for pound) the best whisky buy ever.

People are Twats

https://cdn3.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/p-2813/hibiki/hibiki-17-year-old-whisky.jpg

#DoTheDai \o/

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201801310033.html

Bottle of Suntory whisky shatters auction record at 32.5 million yen

That's GBP 210K per bottle.. or 16K a glass..

#DoTheDai \o/

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Jura is smooth.  Been to Tomatin and Dalwhinnie distilleries and they were nice.

Just opened a bottle of Jura Origin.  It is smooth.  Slightly orangey nose and a honey taste.  Just a tiny bit of smoke.  Not bad at all.

People are Twats

space wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Just opened a bottle of Jura Origin.  It is smooth.  Slightly orangey nose and a honey taste.  Just a tiny bit of smoke.  Not bad at all.

Ain't it just?  No rough edges.

Drank a bottle of Johnny Walker red label, when I was fifteen. Ill for three days and haven't been able to stand the smell of whisky since, let alone the taste.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Laphroig was my thing when I was into Whisky. Loved the aftertaste and the ready brek glow. Can't drink it these days. My body has a big strop and I feel like I've got chronic fatigue syndrome for a few days.

Me and the misses dropped on a whiskey And chocolate tasting, in a bar in Manchester a few years ago . Invited us to join , free of charge.
There was blue label, dalwhinnie , caol ila, lagauvin and a couple of others. Wasn’t a sales pitch , just an appreciation of whiskey and how it tastes with and without chocolate. Bit of chocolate in your mouth , add whiskey, let it desolve .
Great bit of luck , 7 quality whiskies and some chocolate. Bloke was engaging and passionate about whiskey.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Had a bottle of whisky in the cupboard for about 10 years. Not my scene.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:

Laphroig was my thing when I was into Whisky. Loved the aftertaste and the ready brek glow. Can't drink it these days. My body has a big strop and I feel like I've got chronic fatigue syndrome for a few days.

I would drink Talisker when I fancied a whisky.  Can't drink it now, the smokey flavour puts me off now.

When i first started doing Tiffanys on a satdee night me and mate used to take it in turns to rob a bottle of spirits from our old dears drinks cabinet and do it in on the bus into town, malibu, cinzarno, vodka, taboo, southern comfort, pernod gin even advocatt all passed without to much trouble. Bottle of bells and both of us had to get off at woodhouse moor and puke our guts up and go home. Never touched it since.

I remember being on a night bus back from The Warehouse when the Cookridge lot were on. Someone had taken pictures of me with a certain lass (nowt happened) earlier that night that led to me nearly getting an almighty shoeing......

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Reggie Perrin wrote:
fuzzy dunlop wrote:

I would drink Talisker when I fancied a whisky.  Can't drink it now, the smokey flavour puts me off now.

Talisker is lovely as well. I love that smokiness. A terrible thing to admit but before I lived in Scotland I thought that Jack Daniels was a decent whisky. Some natives put me right. Used to like Jamesons as well. Did a tour of their distillery in Dublin once and there was  8 different whiskies to taste at the end of it. A lot of people in the group didn't drink theirs so me and my mate cleaned up. Came out of there buckled.