Topic: FA Cup Knockers..

A maligned comp for those at the top it may be but our replay with Brighton's going to be a sell-out, we're getting money from S4C for live coverage, we've signed a lucrative sponsorship deal on the back of our involvement and if we get through, a home tie with Newcastle awaits. That would be live on ESPN and the match fee alone is worth 123k.
It might mean nothing to a money-drenched Premier League club but to Wrexham that represents a foundation for a much better future.

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Re: FA Cup Knockers..

Hope you win the replay.

"...and have you ever seen one better timed ?"

Controversial I know (and generic not aimed at Wrexham) but I get a little annoyed about this idea you celebrate a potential gaint-kill, leading to another potential gaint-kill on the basis of the cash and not on the basis of its own standing as an achievement.... Ok I'm out of syc with the modern game but thought I'd say it anyway...

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

Best of luck OBL !!!!

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

We've been financially raped by asset strippers whos legacy is a set of student flats built on land we once owned and are generating 30K a month for the filthy cunts 10 yards away from the ground that we don't even own any more.

One of the pair is still claiming money owed and all this is despite the promise that all revenue from any development would go to the football club, the precursor 'for the avoidance of doubt' was attached to the promise of a land of milk and honey.

They lied.

Unbelievably the pair still go to Wrexham games and haven't been snotted yet.

Due to the financial mess and asset strip we need every penny we can get to survive, this cup run goes a long way to secure short term prosperity with re entry in to the football league at end of this season being the ultimate goal.

Doesn't help when a Johnny come lately team with no fan base unsettles arguably our most influential play maker and sign the fuckwit up, hope the said Lee Fowler disrupts their dressing room and starts throwing toys again when he states personal issues for a more lucrative financial deal as he did in the last few months with us.

Wanker.

“A little dab'll do ya.”  Brylcreem getting in to the 21st century.

Big Society wrote:

Controversial I know (and generic not aimed at Wrexham) but I get a little annoyed about this idea you celebrate a potential gaint-kill, leading to another potential gaint-kill on the basis of the cash and not on the basis of its own standing as an achievement.... Ok I'm out of syc with the modern game but thought I'd say it anyway...

I know what you mean, but blame that on the people who've destroyed the transfer system that used to be the source of an unexpected windfall for a smaller club.
Smaller clubs used to be able to trade their way out of trouble now they're reliant on the deep pockets or huge loans from a chairman, or a good run in a competition who's prize and appearance money has had to be bloated to try and keep the big clubs interested.
Wrexham used to regularly sell players for six figure sums, hasn't happened for years now and the EPPP changes are going to make it an even less likely occurence.
In most instances, the big clubs put out reserve sides in these sort of ties now anyway, so the sense of achievement's already diluted.
And we're utterly desperate to get out of non-league and anything that increases our chances of this happening is cause for celebration.
When the tears rolled down my cheeks at full time on the day we beat Arsenal 2-1, I wasn't thinking of the cash,just the joy.

Last edited by ObL69 (Thu 12 Jan 2012 11:42 pm)

A rumour from last week was that prior to handing the reins to WST that Moss and Roberts accepted 50,000GBP to release Swansea from the 10% sell on clause for Neil Taylor.  Probably a load of bunk but a massive blow to us if true and Taylor moves on for 'X' ammount of millions.

Pete Jones was asked yesterday whether there was any truth in the rumour and couldn't confirm or deny the story.

Last edited by Jones the Steamed (Sun 15 Jan 2012 4:06 pm)

ObL69 wrote:

A maligned comp for those at the top it may be but our replay with Brighton's going to be a sell-out, we're getting money from S4C for live coverage, .

Its live on ESPN as well

Not sure about ESPN, great confusion there... They've been trailing coverage, saw it myslef yesterday, but the club don't know anything about it. The FA don't seem to either. Another 62k if it is on like, so lets hope its true.!

As for the glory thing as well, what we do celebrate beyond the money, is the recognition. Everyone wants their club to 'known', when you drop into non-league its a proper fall into obscurity. There's no TV coverage anymore, national newspapers don't go near it, its like you ceased to exist. A good cup run just reminds people. And Wrexham is a small town with little about it to mark it on the map, the football club's all we've got... apart from Robbie Savage...

Here's a little thing I just thought of.  I remember the giantkilling antics of certain teams (like Wrex v Arse that year) usually more easily than the final of that particular year.  Genuinely, as a kid I used to dote about the FA Cup and almost 'learn' the history, but having known all the Cup winners for years and years, it's a struggle to remember any of them specifically now, after LU got relegated in 82.

The Cup's ace, at least until the semi finals.

Last edited by old codger (Sun 15 Jan 2012 3:32 pm)

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Do we still hold the record for the most consecutive 3rd round knock outs?

gorefidel wrote:

Do we still hold the record for the most consecutive 3rd round knock outs?

Not sure G but it was mentioned that QPR last week equalled our record of not getting past 3rd round (something like 14 seasons in a row).  Patchy detail from me there but it was definitely mentioned, and QPR scraped a late draw, the bastards tongue

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

I take it Lee Fowler has gone to Fleetwood.

I just hope Vardy stays fit until they finally give in and sell him on, Halifax are on about 30%.

Fowler went for personal reasons which alluded to his circumstances at home, going on the piss again or missing Dean Saunders.

The twat would have gained respect for stating the truthful fact that he'd been tapped up and allowed money to dictate his heart and go to a non entity of a club in a lower position than us with shite crowds and no passion.

Game stats suggest we did better without him this season, he did do a fantastic job when on form but a lot of it was fancy showboating when there was no need.

Hopefully we'll keep ahead of the rich mans toy and Fowler hits the beer again and blows up.

Be nice if we get past Brighton, Neil Taylor is sold on for 6M and we put a bid in for Vardy to unsettle Fleetwood to give them a taste of their own medicine.

Unfortunately neither will happen.

Ha JTS, I suspect the West Ham bid will be more unsettling to Vardy than one from Wrexham, no disrespect like.

West Ham supposed to have already offered 900k.. That sell-on looks like it could be rather lucrative.
The Fleetwood chairman's putting in 20k a week from his own funds to keep things going, there were reports they'd offered Danny Rose 3k a week, Fowler may well be on something similar. I would imagine their Sugar daddy, Andy Pilley, must be getting a little agitated as we keep winning despite not having signed a player since about July.
The cup run should mean we don't have to sell any more at least..

Vardy´s twitter feed has stated that he´s arrived in Glasgow tonight, so I´d assume a fee has been agreed.

@vardy7

In my defence I should point out I don´t follow him its a retweet from a Hotton Courier journalist.

Exceptional performance by Wrexham tonight, unfortunately the better team on the day are out of the FA Cup.

Proud to be a Wrexham fan tonight.

Well done Wrexham , didnt deserve to go out .A good old  fashioned cup tie .

"...and have you ever seen one better timed ?"

Very unlucky.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Cracking Wrexham goal - come SoG - sign him up....

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

It was a great night all round, bar the last penalty. Behind the scenes, It was all hands to the pump, with everyone mucking in to help ensure everything went smoothly. The Directors were out and about, meeting and greeting, helping with jobs. There were a lot of little things that added up to a lot, there was a real sense of this being a club run by supporters.
The player manager was named sponsors man of the match and he staggered into the lounge still wearing his muddied shirt and shorts.
We have a team to be proud of as well, no superstars, one or two who could play higher but basically just a collection of blokes who work really hard for each other. They've built up a rest rapport with the supporters, after ten years of misery, this just feels good.
It's only the start...

Just had Stephen Parrot in the office, remarkably upbeat all things considered, even an FA Cup knockout can't stop him talking

listen up at the back

ObL69 wrote:

It was a great night all round, bar the last penalty. Behind the scenes, It was all hands to the pump, with everyone mucking in to help ensure everything went smoothly. The Directors were out and about, meeting and greeting, helping with jobs. There were a lot of little things that added up to a lot, there was a real sense of this being a club run by supporters.
The player manager was named sponsors man of the match and he staggered into the lounge still wearing his muddied shirt and shorts.
We have a team to be proud of as well, no superstars, one or two who could play higher but basically just a collection of blokes who work really hard for each other. They've built up a rest rapport with the supporters, after ten years of misery, this just feels good.
It's only the start...

he staggered into the lounge still wearing his muddied shirt and shorts.

Fucking brilliant.

Was seeing the updates on Sky Sport News......the reporter must've been a Wrexham fan or something as when they scored it was all "Wrexham have been bossing the game,  Brighton have been lucky,  only chance they've had,  travesty if brighton win....."

Know him OBL     big_smile

Good work fella

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

He's a disgrace that bloke.. meant to be neutral, you'll be telling me next he had a Wrexham badge on his Sky jacket...