Topic: Musical Mysteries

How come UB40 started by making great songs like King, One In Ten and Food For Thought and then went on to do cobblers covers like Red Red Wine and that terrible Rat In The Kitchen?

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Re: Musical Mysteries

Rat In the Kitchen doesnt half sound like Belsa Lugosi's Dead at the beginning.

They've done worse than those last two, OBL, imho.

Same shit different banner.
'They were great!  If I could only make out the words they'd be greater.'
'Fuck the recession let's pogo'
Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Bob Marley, Exodus to One Love.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

The Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed to Steel Wheels.....old age, money and sycophantic cronies.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

I think bands just run out of ideas. And most of them carry on regardless.

Rudi wrote:

I think bands just run out of ideas. And most of them carry on regardless.

The Rolling Stones.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

But UB40 seemed to go from decent sounding social comment to rubbish reggae with almost nothing in between. Like they were on the dole, then made some money, liked it so much they decided to make safe stuff instead.. Mind you, they're bankrupt now aren't they?

Formica is a nice bit of wood

ObL69 wrote:

But UB40 seemed to go from decent sounding social comment to rubbish reggae with almost nothing in between. Like they were on the dole, then made some money, liked it so much they decided to make safe stuff instead.. Mind you, they're bankrupt now aren't they?

Another things with bands, they end up being responsible for the livelihoods of others; road crew, touring session musicians etc etc. And in the case of a band with a lot of members, there's all the attendant wives, kids, alimony etc Hard to just stop.

Plus of course there's that old thing of having ten years on the dole to write your first album and ten weeks on a tour bus to write your second.

I think UB40 showed flashes in their later years of that original spark. I still like Sing Our Own Song and Kingston Town. Amuses me the way so called reggae aficionados sneer at them. Yeah, they produced a lot of bland crap, but they were genuine music fans from the outset and knew their stuff.

I can forgive anyone who makes two fantastic songs like one in ten and Food for thought.

Hardly matters that most of the stuff after that was chicken in a basket by numbers, they'd done more than most ever will by their third single.

And if people want to pay to see someone, why should they stop?

There's enough room out there.

People finding profundity in vaudeville can be a very entertaining thing in its own right. big_smile

Always liked this story (lifted from Wikipedia):

"In 1989, the British band UB40 recorded a cover version of "Kingston Town".

There is a story that after this, Eccles (producer Clancy Eccles) saw Creator, who had become homeless and destitute,

on a Kingston street. When Eccles called out to him, Creator fled thinking Eccles had come to collect $30 he owed him.

Eccles chased him down andtold him UB40 had recorded "Kingston Town" and that Creator had earned substantial

royalties.[citation needed] Creator also did a slightly faster version of this song, where the word 'Kingston' is replaced by

'Babylon'. With the money he earned in royalties, Creator revitalized his life and career. He appeared in oldies shows in

Jamaica, and toured Japan."

I've also heard that he was so thrilled by this change of circumstances he and his family lined up to personally thank the

group when they flew in to Jamaica.

Seen em in Rotters , Liverpool circa 1980 , before 1 in 10 .
King , Food for thought , Higher ground and I always liked ,I think its going to rain today, didn't know that it was a Randy Newman cover.
They were a ,massive cover band , granted, with their own take on them.
Still like them , big rift between Cambell and the rest of them , I think.

Last edited by white dragon (Mon 02 Apr 2012 10:44 pm)

To stand aside is to take sides.

UB40 are soiled for me as all I ever think about is Kingston Town on what seems like a loop every Saturday night at The Belmont in 'Boro (when it used to be next to Star & Garter and before it moved to The Havana)

I develop Tourette's and shout "I fucking hate UB40" for some strange Pavlovian reason.

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I think they're just a good example of a band with a great debut album never quite achieving the same quality.  I too hate Kingston Town but I don't object to any band milking it, even though some variation would have been nice.  Funnily enough, Red Red Wine and Rat in the Kitchen (I didn't know that was a cover, doh) I don't mind at all, but most of their covers are just boring.  Someone somewhere must have proclaimed Labour of Love as a real classic because that seems to be the one that took them to the top - or have I got the UB40 history wrong?  Signing On is a truly great album - and I really didnt like UB40 to begin with - and One In Ten is one of the anthems of the era for me, but it's not an album I play to cheer mesen up lol

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

i´ve added the first lp to a spotify playlist on the strength of this thread, i do remember having the odd song on tape from Peel, King and Tyler, so i´ll give them a whirl.

the Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop to Baby I love You (thank you very much Phil Spector)

I can remember my heart sinking when I raced out to get the End of the Century album only to hear that on it. Plus Rock n Roll High School. My love affair with the Ramones had ended.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

it was all going so well until Ranking Roger started, is that the bloke who toasted for them?

Foxy Dread wrote:

it was all going so well until Ranking Roger started, is that the bloke who toasted for them?

Ranking Roger was with the Beat who were great.

First UB40 album was great, second ok, but after that the plummet into Red red whine (the emphasis being on whine) was disgraceful. Rarely have a band with so much cred turned into such a bag of shite.

Last edited by Djpekingman (Tue 03 Apr 2012 1:02 pm)

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Agree they ran out of ideas, half of them were white so were hardly steeped in the history of Reggae.  They used up their knowledge of the genre and got shit quick.

Also what money they made was a bit diluted because they didn't write any of the later sruff and there were about 25 of the Brummie cnuts.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Point is though, they sold fecking loads of records, Red Red Whiiine possibly a massive seller.  Maybe their first album suggested they were indie and original and idealistic, but it soon passed didnt it.

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

heyho wrote:

the Ramones - Blitzkreig Bop to Baby I love You (thank you very much Phil Spector)

I can remember my heart sinking when I raced out to get the End of the Century album only to hear that on it. Plus Rock n Roll High School. My love affair with the Ramones had ended.

No waaaay dude. It's still a great album (R&R High School, R&R Radio, Chinese Rocks etc)  -  and a decent song - but I think I may have been slightly peturbed at the time that there was no cone busting guitar on it, but it's not like Red Wine which was wheeled out by every dodgy pub dj for every single day of the eighties. Hated it. Grrrr.

The Earth Dies Screaming was good tho... and they were brilliant in The Yob.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Two R's wrote:
heyho wrote:

No waaaay dude. It's still a great album (R&R High School, R&R Radio, Chinese Rocks etc)  -  and a decent song - but I think I may have been slightly peturbed at the time that there was no cone busting guitar on it, but it's not like Red Wine which was wheeled out by every dodgy pub dj for every single day of the eighties. Hated it. Grrrr.

TwoR's, Vintage Trouble, on at Willowman Festival in June, have you told us this already and if not why not, you're their groupie agent aren't you? big_smile

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

Aren't (or weren't) UB40 the biggest-selling musical act in Jamaica?

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

fulmine wrote:

No that's definitely the Jam. 

Coat.

Love Leeds, Hate Bates

old codger wrote:
fulmine wrote:

No that's definitely the Jam. 

Coat.

Bloody hell... tongue

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

old codger wrote:
Two R's wrote:
heyho wrote:

TwoR's, Vintage Trouble, on at Willowman Festival in June, have you told us this already and if not why not, you're their groupie agent aren't you? big_smile

They've taken to quoting my review on some of their literature.. which is nice.

I was hoping they might play Bingley fest or Limetree. I don't even know where Willowman is...(off to Google it)

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.