Topic: Be afraid Wrexham, be very afraid

FC Halifax Town are coming at yer. Well they will be next season if you don´t win promotion.

What i´m saying is that the signings look very impressive and its just a matter of time before they piss this tinpot league, like Luton have in the Conference, errrr ok, i see what I have done there. Danny Gardner from Droylesden sounds like a talent and a bit of a coup, 21, beats men for fun and scores goals too, 17 from midfield last season.

What is the Wrexham line on Chester, would you like the derby games back or do you hate Chester enough to enjoy seeing them rot in the BSN?

Re: Be afraid Wrexham, be very afraid

Do I look scared? Huge difference between BSN and BSP-Mansfield's budget for this season is supposed to be in the region of 2 million quid, Luton's will be similar. Luton are paying players £1200 a week plus bonuses. Grimsby are spending. Hell, even Forest Green withe their ex-service crew green energy multi-millionaire are outlaying big bucks. Our budget of somewhere south of 750k doesn't have us in the top 5. And we've sold nearly 2000 season tickets.
BSP is a nightmare of former FL clubs bankrupting themselves to escape.
We've not done much in the market yet but we have a few quid to spend having lost two decent strikers to Mansfield and Crewe.
Chester? I'd rather meet them in the FL, although the home derny's always a decent earner for us. Rivalry shouldnt be as intense now, after all, we're both owned by Trusts and Ch*ster(old habits..)advised Wrexham Trust prior to the takeover. However, you try telling that to the chaps...

Formica is a nice bit of wood

Even without knowing the facts you state above I would have had a promoted Halifax as a bottom half conference team, who might once in a blue moon stumble upon a manager and a team who can compete for a season.

How much are Wrexham´s season tickets?

We (Stockport) overspent stupidly last season and as a result our playing budget this season is in the region of £450k. That's based on a break even gate of 3200. We've sold 1700 season tickets so far.

We've scrapped our youth policy from top to bottom, left out FL standard training ground and moved to Cheadle Town where we'll train for free in return for fixing the place up and giving them a nice pitch to play on.

And yet despite all that we'll finish higher this season than last. We've got some very good young players. Our form in the last 12 games of last season would have seen us finish 3rd had we maintained it over a season. Which we won't.

Also noises regarding us finally finding a way to wrestle back ownership of Edgeley from that unscrupulous bearded rugby whelp. They have a 7s tournament next weekend then they're off to Salford. The effects of that are worth shitloads.

Knew Mansfield and Luton were spending big but £2m? When we got promotion out of L2 in the playoffs 4 years ago, we only spent £1.6m and that was on a team that really was going places. Many of them are playing in the Championship or Prem now. If Mansfield are spending £2m and they don't run away with the league they want to give their heads a wobble. I think it's more likely they'll crash and burn.

We've got Halifax next Saturday. I might go. I've done over 100 grounds if you count old, new and foreign, but never there. Biggest remaining terrace in English football?

I wouldn´t know about the biggest remaining terrace in English football, i´ve never thought about it, but it might be. OBL might know of others that are bigger.

I had a chat with a few stockport lads on their way home from York on the Sunday morning earlier this year, they seemed at one with life in the Conference.

If Luton and Mansfield are able to spend that sort of money, from the point of view of anyone who doesn´t currently have promotion aspirations, the sooner they get promoted the better.

Last edited by Foxy Dread (Sun 15 Jul 2012 9:48 am)

We've been in four different divisions in the last 10 years, so the Conference is just another league with different places for us to visit. Wouldn't want to stay here more than a couple of years but as a means of steadying a listing ship, it's not too bad.

The Conference met to vote on finance capping earlier this summer. It was proposed that clubs couldn't take money in the form of loans, directors could give money but not loan it. Worryingly, for the league, they voted against. From that point on, it was going to be tough for clubs without a wealthy backer. We still run our centre of excellence, as costly as it is, and with doubts over its viability due to EPPP. We should have more young players in the team this year as well. To do Brett Ormerod's running...

I was annoyed at us scrapping the youth setup.

It gave us Aaron Wilbraham, Jon Daly, Adam Le Fondre, Rob Clare, Greg Tansey and half our current squad and about two dozen other youngsters.

But the reality is it was costing us more than we could justify. The EPPP ruined it. We sold Ryan Crowther to Liverpool for £500k, Harry Worley to Chelsea for £200k etc. We'd get a fraction of that under the new rules so it just wasn't viable anymore.

Add to that our decent record at picking up 18 and 19 year olds under Gannon and turning them into players (Liam Dickinson, Anthony Pilkington, Ashley Williams) and it made sense.

I think most here would be happy with a top ten finish but there's a quiet confidence we might just sneak the playoffs. Our form at the end of last season was good enough and last time Gannon saved us from relegation we finished just outside the L2 playoffs on goal difference.

The 5k we get for playing Wrexham on telly will make a world of difference too.

There are a few punters getting excited about the Wrexham price after the 3-1 ´demolition´of Kilmarnock, the scottish League Cup holders.

I'm happy with the squad we've got, in some ways I think we might have a better group for getting rid of one or two. Played well last night apparently but we all know these games count for nothing.
Perhaps we should have applied to be the SPL's club 12?

We've just taken Danny Rowe on loan from Fleetwood again. 6 months. Will probably end up as a season long loan.

I'm the biggest cynic and pessimist of them all, but even I'm now wondering if a play off spot is possible now. I'll wait and see how we perform in the next few pre-season games against decent opposition, but the squad we have now puts the one that started last season into perspective, especially as it's been put together for just over half the cost.

Foxy Dread wrote:

How much are Wrexham´s season tickets?

Paid 275 for my Mold Road Stand ticket.  Had a season ticket for the last 12 years, it's the only way I'll see half my mates as there's no way I'd be paying 18 quid for a wet Tuesday game if we'd been dicked the Saturday before.

Last season was the first in many years that I actually enjoyed the football and wasn't clock watching to escape the game or not resurfacing from the bar for the second half.

Ormerods a fantastic signing, hopefully Mozza follows through with another inspired stroke of genius before the season starts and sets us up for another humdinger.  Speight will be missed but there's some talented youngsters in all departments that brighten the prospects of WAFC for the forthcoming season.

Missed the Kilmarnock game as I was working in Ireland, looking forward to the Coventry game big time.

“A little dab'll do ya.”  Brylcreem getting in to the 21st century.

Someoneelse if Stockport are fielding a decent team at Halifax and you fancy them, they aren´t a bad price to win the game about 2.4 ish I think.

I had a dabble.

Never mind. Be interesting to see how we do against Fleetwood on Tuesday.

someoneelse wrote:

I had a dabble.

Betting on friendlies is a bit odd considering they're all about experimentation.

You know something we don't?

“A little dab'll do ya.”  Brylcreem getting in to the 21st century.

Sad day for Halifax, the pick of their pre season signings a young Dan Gardener, sounded very exciting might have done his cruciate, he beat two men then went down with a howl. Rotten luck for the lad and Halifax.

I don´t know what Stockport can read into it but Halifax won 2-0. I do think that this could be Halifax´s year unless there is another good team about to emerge from the division as well.

But yes betting on friendlies carries extra risks I would think, but the bookies are guessing just as much as the punters.

Are our good friends from over the border in that league with Halifax this season?

Yes they are, second favourites with the bookies behind the shaymen.

Jones the Steamed wrote:
someoneelse wrote:

I had a dabble.

Betting on friendlies is a bit odd considering they're all about experimentation.

You know something we don't?

I just thought they were good odds for us to beat a team from a league below. Our form in the last 12 games of last year was great and we've added to the squad and fucked all the remaining wasters off. I thought it was worth the £5.18 I had in my bet365 account.

Shows what I know.

We put out 8 of our probable starting 11 in the first half, then mixed it up second half I think. Reports from those who went said we were slow and some of our key players looked like they'd not had anything approaching a competitive game in almost 3 months. Which isn't surprising because they haven't.

We'll be top half next season I think. Halifax, by the sounds of things, will be pushing for promotion. And maybe then I'll finally add the Shay to my grounds visited list.

Altrincham have signed Hyde's two centre backs, both ex-County. Not sure if that'll make any difference to where they end up but Hyde were supposedly easily the best team in the BSP last season so Alty should improve.

We've signed Stalybridge's main striker and we're in for their main midfielder too I believe. Not going over the top when I say Stalybridge were one of the three most impressive teams we saw at EP last season, more impressive than most of the BSP. But then they lost Jennings to Scunthorpe and one or two others, including Hobson to us. I think their winger, Brogan is at Southend now too.

Shows it's possible to create a proper good team at that level if you've got some nous. Expect that's what Halifax are doing. Glennon in goal is a solid enough signing too. Was half decent for us, although replaced by a 17 year old as first choice.

The Stalybridge team was made up almost excusively of young FL rejects, who were training as a full time squad with the hope they might break back into the game, all under the nous of the ex Morecambe manager Jim, errr Harvey? If a few have moved on to full time football you would have to deem it a success, they just need to recruit well once again.

Halifax have signed one or two from Hyde and a goalscorer from Fleetwood called Seddon who sounds like a born winner, he had better offers but he chose Halifax expecting to win the BSN this year. It seems ridiculous but even Halifax have four good forwards (for the level) to choose from, they have recruited a young lad who was Bradford´s player of the year two season´s ago Luke O´Brien, he´s a Halifax lad and has decided to go part time after a trial in scotland came to nought. The star signing mentioned above Dan Gardener got injured on Saturday but the news is good and he´s expected back in six to eight weeks, he sounds destined for better things, think Tony Currie with a touch of Gascoigne.  There are also a couple of young lads who have been released by Leeds but to date they are just trialists, they seem promising by the sound of it though.

Halifax had a desperately bad start last year, poor  home form and still finished third, they were a bit pedestrian up front that should change, and the belief is they should be a better team this season so you have to be optimistic.

Foxy Dread wrote:

Halifax have signed one or two from Hyde and a goalscorer from Fleetwood called Seddon who sounds like a born winner, he had better offers but he chose Halifax expecting to win the BSN this year. It seems ridiculous but even Halifax have four good forwards (for the level) to choose from, they have recruited a young lad who was Bradford´s player of the year two season´s ago Luke O´Brien, he´s a Halifax lad and has decided to go part time after a trial in scotland came to nought. The star signing mentioned above Dan Gardener got injured on Saturday but the news is good and he´s expected back in six to eight weeks, he sounds destined for better things, think Tony Currie with a touch of Gascoigne.

In your dreams baby lol lol

You starting the Halifax branch of the Nylon Biff glee club?

Last edited by Djpekingman (Mon 23 Jul 2012 7:21 am)

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Djpekingman wrote:
Foxy Dread wrote:

Halifax have signed one or two from Hyde and a goalscorer from Fleetwood called Seddon who sounds like a born winner, he had better offers but he chose Halifax expecting to win the BSN this year. It seems ridiculous but even Halifax have four good forwards (for the level) to choose from, they have recruited a young lad who was Bradford´s player of the year two season´s ago Luke O´Brien, he´s a Halifax lad and has decided to go part time after a trial in scotland came to nought. The star signing mentioned above Dan Gardener got injured on Saturday but the news is good and he´s expected back in six to eight weeks, he sounds destined for better things, think Tony Currie with a touch of Gascoigne.

I seem to be, even though my offical line is that football is rubbish, its not an easy club to get hold of nylon for though, the club shop seems to struggle to stock anything other than Bookmarks and Pencils, with the odd signed photo left over from the halcyon days of the 80s when they sometimes avoided re-election.

Foxy Dread wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:
Foxy Dread wrote:

I seem to be, even though my offical line is that football is rubbish, its not an easy club to get hold of nylon for though, the club shop seems to struggle to stock anything other than Bookmarks and Pencils, with the odd signed photo left over from the halcyon days of the 80s when they sometimes avoided re-election.

Of course, I forgot - they'll still be wearing woollen shirts or those made out of 'mungo & shoddy' round your way won't they?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

No they do nylon round our way now, its just that Halifax shirts never seem to arrive in the club shop until after christmas.