Topic: the smoke shoreditch/

down for weekend this afternoon for rugby and staying around liverpool st. As an old stomping ground after work  mid 80' shoreditch was a shit hole with only that elvis shop there really.

Have all the pubs like browns/eagle gone and what about Hackney road the old axe and sollys etc. it used to be ok around there but is it all posh now ?

don't want to look a div when I suggest we nip to these , like when i went to Bradford a few year back and that Irish pub at the top of the hill  from shopping centre had gone, much to the amusement of the crowd I was with calling me a liar all night

Re: the smoke shoreditch/

Be careful. Its changed a lot.

Browns is still there, not been for an age - so I'd expect the worst (expensive/flash). Metropolis is still there on Cambridge Heath Rd - full of pierced Eastern Europeans, but old style pubs round its, not so much.

Lots of gay bars down Cambridge Heath Road and also round the Hoxton bit where the A10 one way bit is. And loads of metrosexual lovies out and about as well.

Pubs round the market - the Gun next to Spitalfields is old style as are a few on Commercial St. And the ones on Middlesex St are alright as well. Fair few Nicholsons pubs. Not sure what they're like on a weekend.

I'm strictly a commuter drinker round there, so I'm a 5-9 man generally.

Good for a curry though. Spitalfields has loads of decent places to eat. Not many old style cafes left either. So its either the italian one at the top of Liverpool st station  - Ponti's Opposite the Hamiliton Hall in the station or the Bishopsgate Kitchen - which is just over the road by the big RBS building (which is twice the price, flash but very nice. £5 v £10 for full English). Or one of the pubs.

And a few more expensive if thats your thing. big_smile

alternatives....Borough Market/Tooley St (Jubilee line to Wembley) or round Clerkenwell (Farringdon Met to Wembley)

Last edited by gore (Fri 24 Aug 2012 8:47 am)

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Thanks Gore

I suppose the elvis shop has gone then

otis wrote:

Thanks Gore

I suppose the elvis shop has gone then

Don't remember that. Its probably a gay sex shop if it hasn't been turned into some designer 'studio'

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Oi, unless you have your skinny kecks down your arse...places to avoid.

http://www.timeout.com/london/feature/6 … ditch-bars

I'll add a few Otis. The Elvis shop on Commercial St alas is no more went with the trustafarian invasion.

Take off hosers ...

Shoreditch is the new in place loads of places to go .Loads of pubs off Brick lane  .mix of plastic alternatives with cash &  other cash orientated  people .we always stick to bars on Kingsland road less twats in them .loads of bars of Eastern road as well trendies etc depends what you want

I like dead musicians ,not live music.

The Griffin - Leonard St . shithole pub, maintains the feel of Shoreditch when it took off in the early 90's.

Pride Of Spitalfields - Heneage St, off Brick Lane. Small, cosy & not full of knobheads.

http://www.classiccitybrew.com/london07_pride_spitalfields.jpg

Owl & the Pussycat - RedChurch St, used to be good and unknown but I think the street has changed a bit since 94.

the Brickies on Charlotte Rd and epicentre of the whole Hoxton/Ditch bollocks remains a favourite for a pint now and then, probably a bit like the Jim Morrison grave now...

personally I'd head to Clerkenwell Green, couple of nice boozers there, the 3 Kings and the other across the road.

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Fri 24 Aug 2012 12:30 pm)

Take off hosers ...

gore wrote:

Just saw Charlie Wrights on that list ... * breaks out in cold sweat *

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Fri 24 Aug 2012 12:33 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:
gore wrote:

Just saw Charlie Wrights on that list ... * breaks out in cold sweat *

It has bike stand and everything. But only single gears allowed.

Maddest place I remember in those parts back then  were the nights organized by that crazy fucking scots bloke (looked like one of the Kray twins) - used to do private, read illegal parties, in his own drum and then other venues. Lat time I saw him he had mad Craig from Hyde Park (used to read poetry at the beginning of Cud gigs) with him. SA you might have been with Barnzley.

Take off hosers ...

Every year I say the same never again

otis wrote:

Got to the point where the beer before the game was great, but afterwards was pretty shit. Never got back into it after they decamped to Cardiff/Edinburgh.

Is there a good Sat night out in London for men of a certain age these days?

gore wrote:
otis wrote:

Friday we ended up around shoreditch and got ripped in the curry house. £240 for eight of us. 
your right shoreditch has changed so much. every pub either has pole dancers or like wine bars.
saturday the usual, marylebone, wembley then into covent garden and soho.
ended up in the wires end so had to listen to them crowing all match.

the elvis shop has indeed gone, only to be replaced by the hotel we were staying in

I cant see a good sat night out down there , ace to go once a year , but dont think i could do covent garden every week/month.

still there is next year

gore wrote:
otis wrote:

Got to the point where the beer before the game was great, but afterwards was pretty shit. Never got back into it after they decamped to Cardiff/Edinburgh.

That applies to everywhere. Saturday night = part-time drinkers,
Monday is the best night of the week to go out.

Take off hosers ...

Nah, Fridays. Whole day after to recover

you can sit down on a Monday big_smile

Take off hosers ...