Topic: Ultimate Leeds pub crawl

? Criteria: proper ale, walkable from the Train station, hassle free, minimum 8 pubs.

Mine would be about 10 years out of date and be Civic Quarter centric.. (Vic, Verites, etc, maybe trek over to the North Bar..)

Over to you boys and girls.

Last edited by Big Society (Fri 04 Jan 2013 10:22 am)

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

Re: Ultimate Leeds pub crawl

Proper ale. First stop from the station would have to be the Brewery Tap round the corner.
Then up to Sams, Foleys. Town Hall Tavern. Vic. Veritas...Not sure from there...

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Hop, Cross Keys,  Midnight Bell, Grove, Adelphi, Aire Bar, Outlaws Yacht Club, Palace

Real ale arse.

5:30

Jacs, Hogs Head, Ostlers, Whitelocks, Pack Horse, Barneys, Legs, Vine, Horse & Trumpet, Guilford, Jubilee, Cullens, cab, Cosmo, Curry, Jooves

Come on lads, give us more options....

Anything over 13th shows Brian McDermott is a miracle worker.

About 40 of us do a festive real ale crawl every December 29th. This years tour started at The Palace, The Adelphi, The Grove,  The Hop, Brewery Taps, Friends of Ham, Mr Foleys, George and Victoria.

Brewery Taps served the nicest ales in my humble opinion. It's also my pre-match boozer too.

"Oh, Edmund... can it be true? That I hold here, in my mortal hand, a nugget of purest Green?" (Blackadder II)

Can't believe The Angel isn't getting a shout. Get yourself in there and there's no reason to leave. The most excellent cask conditioned bitter at £1.80 a pint. Even the bog has a vaulted ceiling. If you must move on The Ship is visible through a window in the ginnel and Whitelocks not much further. Tetley's in The Palace and The Templar. Leeds Ale in The Wrens - always a fave and now a bit gastro. I'd include The Taps and The Town Hall for a cracking real ale octet.

Skunk (sonicly speaking), if you really must have a drum solo !

Town Hall Tavern ain't cheap but the food's cracking

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

The price of a pint in Leeds is a bit daft, was there in December, never saw anything under 3quid until Wetherspoons.

Back to 1983 for a start. Little Londoner- cheap and easy to get served when you're underage. 3 pints and a bit pissed, off to Chaplins, fake Park Lane College IDs at the ready in case the bouncer asks our age. Marvel at the video juke box playing the 15 minute version of Two Tribes. Down to the Jubilee, then maybe into that new trendy bar Litchfields. 6 Pints and stumbling pissed now, onto Barbarellas to pick up some Liquid Gold before heading to our club of choice -Scrumpys. A young Terry George DJ'ing, videos of Rocky playing, and lads knocking fuck out of each other by the pool table. Birds from Beeston in market mini skirts stagger up and blow smoke in your eyes but you know pulling them will end up with a trip to the LGI next week, or tonight if her boyfriend turns up.

Happy Days...

Was Scrumpy's still on the go when Frankie Goes To Hollywood were out? It all blurs with me. Litchfields jukey 175 Band of Gold. Funny what you remember.

Scratch that, I get years all mixed up Frankie Goes To Hollywood around 83 so yes it was.

Fuck me was that 83 I did start young

I remember it was that Bernini inn place athaniem I think it was called

Only went in a couple of times used to have them windows that looked like pint pots

I read this as Ultimate Leeds pub brawl. I'm thinking Yates's Wine Lodge Nov 16th 1979...

Take us now bad boy 1984

GAyers  the lot us but

Great White North wrote:

I read this as Ultimate Leeds pub brawl. I'm thinking Yates's Wine Lodge Nov 16th 1979...

And why's that Friday night different to any other? That whole part of town, from there down to the Corn Exchange was the wild west Fri/Sat night - but Yates's was dosser's in the main.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

gore wrote:
Great White North wrote:

And why's that Friday night different to any other? That whole part of town, from there down to the Corn Exchange was the wild west Fri/Sat night - but Yates's was dosser's in the main.

The Duncan/Star & Garter yikes yikes yikes

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Yates's was dosser's in the main.

Strauss with his table full of emptys.

Cuts wrote:

That was Saturdays, the rest of the week was just tramps who made a few quid begging or playing the mouth organ.

That rat run from jacs, Lion, prince, yates's, that one down the stairs on bond st - all mental saturdays - but not so bad the rest of the week. Although having said that one of the best street brawls ever we had was down there on a Friday night. Started by outside that pub that pub which was on the corner down from the Precinct (you had to go upstairs to it) all the way down to the C&A and ended up with people bouncing off the John Collier or Burtons windows while they got chinned. fucking team of rugby players from Meanwood way big_smile Didn't even get any of us nicked and it went on for what seemed hours. Still have this memory of Ronnie in his dungarees on the back of this man mountain while Wayne was trying to put him through a plate glass window by swinging the mountain round by his club crested V  neck.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

I got chinned by some man mountain from Streethouse outside Jacs, not even my fight, just came round the corner then, bang, sparko

Cuts wrote:

He could certainly down those bottles of pils!

Used to love that Bond St rat run,Gore alludes to,but we started roughing it after a while and did the Gemini,Templar,Nellies route before hitting the Headrow.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Ha! Thats not roughing it. Well apart from Yates's which was a doss a house. Them pubs were middle of the road. I loved the Templar - it was like everyone in there had dropped acid. Top couple of pints until you weirded out and needed a kebab.

Roughest place back then was the 5pm queue at the Precinct on a Sat after shit home game, when everywhere else was 530pm. 'Menston on tour' that was.

gore wrote:

Ha! Thats not roughing it. Well apart from Yates's which was a doss a house. Them pubs were middle of the road. I loved the Templar - it was like everyone in there had dropped acid. Top couple of pints until you weirded out and needed a kebab.

Roughest place back then was the 5pm queue at the Precinct on a Sat after shit home game, when everywhere else was 530pm. 'Menston on tour' that was.

Depends which stripper you were throwing beer on!

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Tried to do one last night.  Only managed Reliance and Wrens and had to bail because  of the snow.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.