Re: China Crisis tour

Nice one OY.

Site stalwart.

Wish I'd made this. Is it a full band or just gary and Eddie?
I kept thinking I better book it then it had sold out. Pete wylie is in there soon and Michelle shocked.  Someone's doing a decent job in Otley by the sounds, albeit a bit stuck in the 80's. Flaunt the imperfection was a constant in 85. I preferred it to the first two but Christian and wishful thinking were class singles.

And not that you would ever associate China crisis with err, workout music., the b side to best keep secret used to be on constant re cue on the record player when i was on the punchbag every night. The tracks called the instigator I think. I need to hear that again to see why it fit so much back then 27 years ago

It's on you tube just had a look. Just need to clear out the garage and hang the bag back up.

scootay wrote:

Wish I'd made this. Is it a full band or just gary and Eddie?
I kept thinking I better book it then it had sold out. Pete wylie is in there soon and Michelle shocked.  Someone's doing a decent job in Otley by the sounds, albeit a bit stuck in the 80's. Flaunt the imperfection was a constant in 85. I preferred it to the first two but Christian and wishful thinking were class singles.

And not that you would ever associate China crisis with err, workout music., the b side to best keep secret used to be on constant re cue on the record player when i was on the punchbag every night. The tracks called the instigator I think. I need to hear that again to see why it fit so much back then 27 years ago

3 of them on Friday.
Eddie on guitar/vocals
Gary just vocals
Some other geezer on keyboard/synth.

It worked.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

The other geezer is current album mixer and band stalwart since What Price Paradise; Brian McNeill. Though I do think he played on the preceding 'You Did Cut Me'.

He's the guy who plays the keys on the much loved 'Understudy' OY, and of course the big intro to Arizona Sky.

Fool is track 7 on the new album HJ.

Gary Johnson is on the album and so is Maggie Reilly from 'Moonlight Shadow' fame.

Eddie lived at 69 Whitefield Drive, Westvale, Kirkby - just as the flat East Lancs dips South West into Liverpool. Google it. It could have been where Thorpe Edge meets lower Eccleshill.

The sound of the young working class.

It's everything...

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Scootay - the team behind The Instigator are the trio that toured. But other gigs feature a wider ensemble.

fri 31st oct
the met \ china trio
BURY.

sat 1st nov
no1 shakespearestreetbarandkitchen \ china trio
STRATFORD UPON AVON.

sun 2nd nov
warehouse 23 \ full band
WAKEFIELD.

thurs 6th nov
the lights \ china trio
ANDOVER.

fri 7th nov
half moon \ china trio
LONDON

sat 8th nov
chequer mead community arts centre \ china trio
EAST GRINSTEAD.

sun 9th nov
jazz on the margin \ china trio
LONDON

fri 14th nov
new brighton pavilion \ full band
NEW BRIGHTON

sat 15th nov
frazer theatre \ china trio
KNARESBOROUGH.

sun 16th nov
henry tudor house \ china trio
SHREWSBURY.

thurs 20th nov
arc stockton arts centre \ full band
STOCKTON ON TEES.

fri 21st nov
the sage \ full band
GATESHEAD QUAYS.

sat 22nd nov
selby town hall \ china trio
SELBY.

sun 23rd nov
the robin 2 \ china trio
WOLVERHAMPTON.

thurs 27th nov
the brook \ full band
SOUTHAMPTON.

fri 28th nov
south devon arts centre \ china trio
TOTNES.

sat 29th nov
windlesham club \ china trio
WINDLESHAM.

sun 30 nov
the greystones \ china trio
SHEFFIELD.

thurs 4th dec
the forum \ china trio
NORTHALLERTON.

fri 5th dec
the flowerpot \ full band
DERBY.

sun 6th dec
the coliseum centre \ china trio
WHITBY.

thurs 11th dec
cavern club \ full band \ christmas show
LIVERPOOL.

friday 12th dec
cavern club \ full band \ christmas show
LIVERPOOL.

sat 13th dec
oran mor \full band \ christmas show
GLASGOW.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Where you at the Leeds gig OY, the one where Gary wore the same shirt as he did in the Hanna Hanna video? Working With Fire & Steel Tour. The lads from Bradford I allude to in this memory dump are Dave M, Ged and I know there was others there (cos we were on the same train home). You?

Like any music you can judge it retrospectively or remember how it was when it came out, when it was fresh and how it sounded when heard against other songs/artists of the time and that reissue mod, two-tone, new romantic cacophony started to grate.

I have to be in a certain mood to listen to China Crisis now, almost a light-hangover type of mood as it can seem too fey, too twee.

But, I will say this, China Crisis have a special place in my affections because back in 1981/82 when I first heard African & White, I had suddenly found a band that sounded just how I needed them to sound - that spectacular flickhead seen in the Christian video cemented the deal; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ju2UTJPbTGM

I remember playing the 12" of African and White over and over. That green sleeve and the little boy/girl shot in black and white, what did it mean? what did it really mean? That little lads stripey t-shirt, I wanted one.

To my mates they were my band and I had a mate who was also into them, The Associates, Depeche Mode etc. So in 1983 we went and saw them in Leeds without a ticket and the price from a tout meant that our YTS £25 wage only covered entry for one of us. He sloped off to his birds, whilst I stood at the back with my red C&A rodeo roll neck, Patrick Cagoule and green striped Pony trainers. It was the Working with Fire & Steel tour, so singles such as Tragedy and Mystery, Working with Fire and Steel, Hanna Hanna, Wishful Thinking, No More Blue Horizons were heard alongside African & White, Red Sails, Seven Sports For All and bizarrely but fantastically; Some People I Know To Lead Fantastic Lives.

There were a lot of Bradford lads there, lads I'd seen knocking around, wearing better but similar clothes to me. I was shitting myself in the train station coming home as they were mainly drunk and checking you out. Some of them are firm friends now, one of them was my future brother-in-law for a while.

Singles came out and more success was achieved, culminating in their best spell; You Did Cut Me, Black Man Ray, King in a Catholic Style etc etc and another gig was on, again in Leeds but the crowd was heavily peppered with scouse lads who looked similar but markedly different, longer hair, scruffier look, cardigan and checked shirts (top button done up), effortless but aggressive cool replacing short wedges, straight jeans and jumpers bearing the woolmark label. Like The Farm, China Crisis had a large Leeds football contingent following them.

That album; Flaunt The Imperfection (produced by Steely Dan's Walter Becker) sounded so polished, so much so that even the duff tracks (and you always get duff tracks with China Crisis) sounded OK. It was the soundtrack to a very hot summer to me that album and they seemed to be on the radio all the time. I have one strong memory at the time, walking to my mates with The Highest High buzzing round my head (St Kevin's taught me how, John the boxer is braver now, Phil the captain of the cause, fight your fight for what is yours...), wearing Farahs (when the hopsack material was still thick and didn't have the iron sheen shining back at you, Littlewoods crew neck sweaters (cheaper and less strong colours than M&S, I can still smell chips, beans and the bread roll smell from their cafeteria), pastel polo shirts - in fact that summer was a pastel palette and on my feet, Adidas Samba with the black leather dulled by polish but the stripes and toe guard still brilliant white.

The back of the hair was much longer whilst the sideburns were still razored off - remember when you could see you hair billowing out from behind your ears? The Bracewell scall look?

Magic time for me that.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnhMoL8Kaz0

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=o458NRO6r2E

old yeadonian wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:
luxury_scruff wrote:

New stuff sound any good?

think they plated 2/3 new ones from the forthcoming album one was called "fool" sounded good

Agree..the new ones were good,although the best for me last night was African and White..always preferred the live version of that.

Started the night in Wetherspoons then over to the Rose and Crown,had a lovely couple of pints of Stout in there before landing at Korks for the gig at about half 8.

We got seats near the front which was a bonus...which inevitably meant the wife jumping on stage at one point for a dance...yes HJ...that was my missus...par for the course that! (I was the one with the white sweatshirt sat next to her cringing!).

2 things to note about Gary Daly.

1. How camp was he?
2.He has a weird dress sense...shit,tie,jacket,slacks and fucking pumps...what's all that about?

Went to that little boutique bar near Spoons after for another couple and had a giggle outside afterwards, watching those young lads kick shit out of each other in the middle of the road,whilst waiting for our taxi about midnightish...seems Otley never changes!

All in all,top night,good gig,particularly the second set.

me and tubby were talking to her outside at halftime mate i commented on her dancing told her to move the chairs , she was enjoying herself and thats great and wonderful to see especialy at a gig , now heres the coincidence regarding hanna hanna its my daughters middle name .

hendersonjones wrote:
old yeadonian wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

think they plated 2/3 new ones from the forthcoming album one was called "fool" sounded good

Agree..the new ones were good,although the best for me last night was African and White..always preferred the live version of that.

Started the night in Wetherspoons then over to the Rose and Crown,had a lovely couple of pints of Stout in there before landing at Korks for the gig at about half 8.

We got seats near the front which was a bonus...which inevitably meant the wife jumping on stage at one point for a dance...yes HJ...that was my missus...par for the course that! (I was the one with the white sweatshirt sat next to her cringing!).

2 things to note about Gary Daly.

1. How camp was he?
2.He has a weird dress sense...shit,tie,jacket,slacks and fucking pumps...what's all that about?

Went to that little boutique bar near Spoons after for another couple and had a giggle outside afterwards, watching those young lads kick shit out of each other in the middle of the road,whilst waiting for our taxi about midnightish...seems Otley never changes!

All in all,top night,good gig,particularly the second set.

me and tubby were talking to her outside at halftime mate i commented on her dancing told her to move the chairs , she was enjoying herself and thats great and wonderful to see especialy at a gig , now heres the coincidence regarding hanna hanna its my daughters middle name .

Henderson Hanna Hanna Jones Junior?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

luxury_scruff wrote:

Where you at the Leeds gig OY, the one where Gary wore the same shirt as he did in the Hanna Hanna video? Working With Fire & Steel Tour. The lads from Bradford I allude to in this memory dump are Dave M, Ged and I know there was others there (cos we were on the same train home). You?

Like any music you can judge it retrospectively or remember how it was when it came out, when it was fresh and how it sounded when heard against other songs/artists of the time and that reissue mod, two-tone, new romantic cacophony started to grate.

I have to be in a certain mood to listen to China Crisis now, almost a light-hangover type of mood as it can seem too fey, too twee.

But, I will say this, China Crisis have a special place in my affections because back in 1981/82 when I first heard African & White, I had suddenly found a band that sounded just how I needed them to sound - that spectacular flickhead seen in the Christian video cemented the deal; http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ju2UTJPbTGM

I remember playing the 12" of African and White over and over. That green sleeve and the little boy/girl shot in black and white, what did it mean? what did it really mean? That little lads stripey t-shirt, I wanted one.

To my mates they were my band and I had a mate who was also into them, The Associates, Depeche Mode etc. So in 1983 we went and saw them in Leeds without a ticket and the price from a tout meant that our YTS £25 wage only covered entry for one of us. He sloped off to his birds, whilst I stood at the back with my red C&A rodeo roll neck, Patrick Cagoule and green striped Pony trainers. It was the Working with Fire & Steel tour, so singles such as Tragedy and Mystery, Working with Fire and Steel, Hanna Hanna, Wishful Thinking, No More Blue Horizons were heard alongside African & White, Red Sails, Seven Sports For All and bizarrely but fantastically; Some People I Know To Lead Fantastic Lives.

There were a lot of Bradford lads there, lads I'd seen knocking around, wearing better but similar clothes to me. I was shitting myself in the train station coming home as they were mainly drunk and checking you out. Some of them are firm friends now, one of them was my future brother-in-law for a while.

Singles came out and more success was achieved, culminating in their best spell; You Did Cut Me, Black Man Ray, King in a Catholic Style etc etc and another gig was on, again in Leeds but the crowd was heavily peppered with scouse lads who looked similar but markedly different, longer hair, scruffier look, cardigan and checked shirts (top button done up), effortless but aggressive cool replacing short wedges, straight jeans and jumpers bearing the woolmark label. Like The Farm, China Crisis had a large Leeds football contingent following them.

That album; Flaunt The Imperfection (produced by Steely Dan's Walter Becker) sounded so polished, so much so that even the duff tracks (and you always get duff tracks with China Crisis) sounded OK. It was the soundtrack to a very hot summer to me that album and they seemed to be on the radio all the time. I have one strong memory at the time, walking to my mates with The Highest High buzzing round my head (St Kevin's taught me how, John the boxer is braver now, Phil the captain of the cause, fight your fight for what is yours...), wearing Farahs (when the hopsack material was still thick and didn't have the iron sheen shining back at you, Littlewoods crew neck sweaters (cheaper and less strong colours than M&S, I can still smell chips, beans and the bread roll smell from their cafeteria), pastel polo shirts - in fact that summer was a pastel palette and on my feet, Adidas Samba with the black leather dulled by polish but the stripes and toe guard still brilliant white.

The back of the hair was much longer whilst the sideburns were still razored off - remember when you could see you hair billowing out from behind your ears? The Bracewell scall look?

Magic time for me that.

Enjoyed reading that. I was heavily hooked on flaunt the imperfection that year.  My memories are working behind the bar and giving a lad a job because I really fancied his sister.  She was  very beautiful and I had been at school with her but she was in the top sets,  intelligent and knew what she was gonna do in life. I was a little oik who liked a bit of trouble. She did notice my passion for life,  mainly music but she was never gonna be my modette. .... I once came close at a party when we really hit it off. She agreed to come back to mine to see my record collection ha ha. We got to mine only for my brother to have locked us out. I sat desolate with her on the doorstep. So close but so far. I smashed me mum's window in despair but that little act of violence made her come to her senses.

When I gave her brother a job a couple of years later I was hoping she might come in to see him but she never did. She'd gone to uni somewhere.  Anyway I gave him a lift home one night and flaunt the imperfection was playing on the cassette.  He was really shocked that I was listening to China crisis.  He thought I was some dyed in the wool mod/punk into trouble and confessed he'd warned his sister off me back then. (He was older) it left me thinking what would have happened if I had got her to my room and played her working with fire and steel like I planned. There's no despair in this story tho cos I went out with a girl who was the double of kate bush and another fit older divorcee who worked at cloud 9. Both at the same time. One of those reminds me of the style council and the other swing out sister

luxury_scruff wrote:

Magic time for me that.

No LS missed the Leeds gig.
Went with Strauss and a few of the other Bradford lot when they played Bradford Uni,think it was 82/83 .
Good few coaches from Liverpool too...no aggro just a lot of posturing and comparing flickheads and clobber really.

I'm thinking Knaresborough if we can get tickets.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

Shorthouse Smithy still got Corks?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Fucking about on youtube and found some bint had done a decent cover version of African and White..s0me ace synth in there.

Thoughts LS?

Doing Korks in Otley again on 2nd October.

Must be Autumn in the Neighbourhood!

Saw them play to around 100 people in Frodsham a few weeks ago.

Walked in gave thumbs up, got thumbs back, and then bitten by mozzies all night long.

Gary apologising to those who had paid for the new album.

FACT - most people who go to China Crisis gig whoop to King In A Catholic Style and Wishful Thinking.

They'll never take my memories away though.

Last edited by luxury_scruff (Fri 04 Sep 2015 10:23 pm)

Not heard the new album yet so venturing down.
Gig's sold out but heard limited numbers can pay at the door.

Better let me in or Eddie's getting verbals in the gents again.

You'll get in.

See Eddie in Sing Fong on Walton Breck Road. Bet he thinks I follow him around.

18th July 2016 Templenewsam Park , Leeds

Can't get that Autumn in the Neighbourhood album for love nor money..anyone any ideas seeing as the Pledge Music project has closed now?

http://warehouse23.co.uk/events/china-crisis-2/

http://eastleedsmag.co.uk/the-talented-mr-raper/

Who knew?

Certainly not us lot did JW ? think we were too busy playing 5 a side in the amphi-theatre at Tempsey , its a great story and id love to know more who else played .

Nice piece that

Don't know what he means by this though.........    "Punks and Bowie freaks"

Anyone?

big_smile

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

old yeadonian wrote:

Can't get that Autumn in the Neighbourhood album for love nor money..anyone any ideas seeing as the Pledge Music project has closed now?

Yes I want a copy of this. As you say impossible. Not on I tunes either , nor Amazon. I have heard the lead track live last year. Nice

I am just a common breed

old yeadonian wrote:

Yes I want a copy of this. As you say impossible. Not on I tunes either , nor Amazon. I have heard the lead track live last year. Nice

I am just a common breed