Topic: Peaky Blinders

Looking forward to this tonight. Some of it filmed in West Yorkshire (Bradford I think). It got me thinking about the old Service Crew and the Shipley Skins. Now that would make a good show. I remember in the Eddie Kelly book it mentioned David B who "would not cut his hair for anyone." He sounds a real character, maybe Pat can shine some light on this fellow. Did he ever press the emergency stop button of a bus when at traffic lights? Or maybe he used clicker wire on sit down Space Invader machines? Tell us Pat!

Some have meat and cannot eat,
Some can not eat that want it:
But we have meat and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit.  Robert Burns.

Re: Peaky Blinders

Don Hutchins... how are you?

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

I watched the trailer and I thought that there was a distinct lack of Birmingham accents for something set in 1919 Brum.

Eating tofu and hating it.

That barmaid would get it !

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Is it worth watching on I player ?

________________________________________________________________________________

Yep. 1st episode quite good.

Cheers I ll give it a look

________________________________________________________________________________

Watched it last night.  You have to admit that it has got a nce style to it.  Will be giving the second episode a chance.

As gang names go it's up there with that infamous West Yorkshire mob the Cottingley Fairies.

It would be great if there was a mean gang from Cottingley who adopted the above name.

Not sure I'll give it foive, but it was pretty decent. Great hats.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

fulmine wrote:

Not sure I'll give it foive, but it was pretty decent. Great hats.

I was well impressed with the hats.

Cabbage Patch Kid wrote:

Looking forward to this tonight. Some of it filmed in West Yorkshire (Bradford I think). It got me thinking about the old Service Crew and the Shipley Skins. Now that would make a good show. I remember in the Eddie Kelly book it mentioned David B who "would not cut his hair for anyone." He sounds a real character, maybe Pat can shine some light on this fellow. Did he ever press the emergency stop button of a bus when at traffic lights? Or maybe he used clicker wire on sit down Space Invader machines? Tell us Pat!

My very own stalker, fantastic - I knew I would get there one day. CPK you are my kind of Cabbage Patch Kid xx

listen up at the back

Enjoyed it dodgy hair cuts mind smile plenty of familiar faces.

Get's the thumbs up from me really enjoyed first ep as spacecadet says very stylish.

Cabbage lot's filmed in Leeds as well as Satlaire. The older bro got lifted in City Varieties for example.

I’ll be an atheist until the day I die.

Ep 2 - what a stunning bit of telly.

I'm so in that I'm developing a mild Brummi accent.

Brilliant.

MickMcCann wrote:

Brilliant.

You just know he,ll have something nice lined up for the cockney gang leader eventually.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

old yeadonian wrote:
MickMcCann wrote:

Brilliant.

You just know he,ll have something nice lined up for the cockney gang leader eventually.

Ooh don't spoil it, I'm not thinking ahead, just marvelling at how good it is.....but he will won't he.

And the spy's obviously going to fall for him. Will she betray him?

Part two was a corker.  Brilliant soundtrack.  Is that Mr Cave I can hear?

It is. I like it but for me it's too heavily styleised. Supposed to be post war Brum, but it looks like boardwalk empire. Opera in Brum in 1919. Bollocks.

When are one of you clever writing types going to do the Oweney Madden story?

Anyone still following this?

I'm still loving it.

Can you explain it me, I saw about 15 min last night -which consisted of man and a woman with brummie accents speaking what seemed eastern european, but could have been italian, a man in a tin bath and Elliot Ness from Belfast.

Looked very slick and that, but wasn't paying attention.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

The accent thing you mean? Doesn't bother me at all. The Belfast thing, they've got the Ulster Constab in, with their IRA experience and extreme tactics, to try clean up Birm (mainly of commies) and find some v important contraband.

Accents are funny, it's hard to know what they'd've been nearly a century ago and you would get weird accents through different parentage - saw one of my mates from school couple of years ago, born and bred in Leeds but his Irish accent is still so strong that I had to listen carefully to understand him and I've heard a few Irish accents in my time.

When researching HLCTW I heard a 50s comedian who sounded pure Leeds to me, nailed on. Did a bit of research and he'd grown up and lived his life in Salford/Manc, not even a hint of that Oasis type twang which I suspect is an affectation that developed over the last 20 years.

I were you and you had any time, I'd try ignore the accents and catch up, it's ace. Last couple of eps haven't had enough of the arty slow-mo/mood bits for me (like fight scene with gypsies, 2nd ep) but that's being v picky.

The accents were fine, I just wondered what they were? I kept seeing flashbacks to godfather 2 and some of them other ones whos name I can't be bothered to remember.

I'll have a look, but it didn't seem the sort of thing you could just start watching unless you knew what had gone on before.

Last edited by gore (Fri 04 Oct 2013 12:03 pm)

Think that Godfather thing is what got Placid thinking about Madden.

Yeh, I'd try to catch up (bet the whole series so far is on iplayer) but you'd still prob get the jist and entertained if you just watched....and then you'd want to catch up.