Topic: Ghosts

Come on then, hit us with your tales of ghostly goings on …

Re: Ghosts

They don't exist along with Aliens, Loch Ness Monster, Frankenstein, Magnum P.I., Non-catholic Gods, Darth Vader, The Beast, and The Phantom of the Opera

Of course they don't exist, they're ghosts. Doesn't stop thousands of people seeing them though. Or hearing them. Or inviting them round for their tea.

Never seen anything myself but had a strange experience a few years back.
Was in the boozer one Friday night with the missus (before we had kids), we had a lock in and the conversation between the regulars turned to the supernatural and clairvoyance etc...
Now both my parents passed away while I was quite young , I explained this and one of the women said that I should try to contact them as surely they would be trying to contact me .....I told the silly old cow to stop talking shit.
When we got home we were met with the curtains and curtain pole on the floor!
Coincidence ?

"...and have you ever seen one better timed ?"

I wasn't a believer and i'm still not but i'm less sceptical than i was before. It's not a ghost story but an experience that happened to me later in the day after my brother died back in June in the early hours.

Later that day I went to the village where he lived most of his life to tell a couple of his friends that he had passed away.

Afterwards I thought i'd nip over to Coley Church where he wanted to be buried and have a look around the grounds. I gently strolled around the grounds, and I'm getting to the last couple of rows near where the new graves would go.  The church has connections to the village where I grew up so I looked at a few of the gravestones seeing the names of people I knew or knew of, I then saw the grave of a mate of Tony's someone who's funeral Tony had attended  two or three years before. As I turned away from his mate's grave I got an unmistakable smell, it was the smell that Tony was generating as he was struggling for breath over the last day or two, it wasn't a pleasant smell and was probably coming from his stomach or deep within him. As soon as I smelt it I knew instantly what the smell was, I could only smell it for a brief moment, I then backtracked and sniffed around to see if anything else could have made the smell, the smell had gone. It happened as I turned away from where Tony's mate is buried and as I was turning away from the area where his grave would be.   

It was a very distinct smell and not one you can mistake. I am trying now to imagine a smell and it's not possible. I am not saying i know what happened that day but I do know what the smell was, the only other place I've ever smelt it was at the bedside of my brother. There has been nothing since, my mother died a few years ago and nothing unusual happened after she died. So I cannot say what happened but I can say that I smelt a smell that I can only link to my brother and there is no obvious explanation for it.

Foxy, I had a very similar thing happen to me after my Nan passed away. It was a few weeks after her funeral and I was staying round my Mam's house, being in-between flats. Everyone else had gone to bed and I had stopped up watching shit late night telly. I went into the kitchen and made myself a brew, went back into the living room and my Nana's photo had dropped off the mantelpiece and was face down on the floor. I never noticed it at first, settled back down and flicked through the channels. Then the photo caught my eye and almost simultaneously I was flooded with the sweet cloying scent of lavender. She used to douse herself in lavender talcum powder. It was so strong and sudden it almost made me gag. I couldn't fucking breathe. I picked the photo up and put it back on the mantelpiece and went up to bed.

There is probably a rational explanation for the smell thing. My personal rationale is a form of sensory recall brought about by grief. Sensations are stored in the memory bank and can be triggered back into sharp relief by external events. Like how a piece of music can bring back strong memories. That's one theory anyway. As for the photo, maybe my mam knocked it off while she was dusting. Maybe it had been on the floor all night. No idea.

A friend of mine lived in a very fucked up house. Doors smashing open, feet thundering up the stairs. He wasn't the type of lad to make things up either. Zero imagination. He got that freaked that he asked his sister to move in. Which she did. Within three days they had slung the keys back at the landlord. He didn't quibble. Said he would have to sell the place as nobody could bear to live in it. He had it exorcised in the end.

I don't know whether I believe in ghosts or not. Depends what you call a ghost. I believe in energy and untapped areas of perception. Call it the supernatural, I dunno. What does that mean, anyway? Unknown science, I suppose. The higher echelons of nature that we haven't evolved enough to perceive yet. Super-nature.

I'm currently writing a book about a ghost so I'm a bit obsessed at the minute.

Last edited by Rudi (Sun 12 Jan 2014 9:58 pm)

Mega Armageddon Chickens wrote:

They don't exist along with Aliens, Loch Ness Monster, Frankenstein, Magnum P.I., Non-catholic Gods, Darth Vader, The Beast, and The Phantom of the Opera

Chickens still believes in Santa!

Eating tofu and hating it.

I ws in an empty boozer and an ashtray a few feet away from me slid across the bar and fell onto the floor.  Just as the land lady walked back in.  I had this feeling like cold water had been dumped on me.  Landlady of pub cut me a filthy look about the ashtray and I told her it wasn't me and it had done it by itself.  she said "Oh.  Don't let it bother you.  It's Emily up to her old tricks again" and walks back into the kitchen.

Eating tofu and hating it.

Nope. Nothing. I do believe that there's something in us that continues.. a form of energy, I saw something leave my old fella at the moment he died and the husk that remained.

But the rest of it? Too much acid.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Sense of smell is an interesting one, as it's a sense that's closely linked to instinct. I can recall smells better than most memories and it's usually about the most unusual or mundane things. I can remember what our Christmas decorations smelled like when I was 4 years old, for example.

Not saying there's nowt in it - but smells are funny ones as they can be a lot more vivid than vision and touch.

Once did a ouija board and it said that me and my lass at the time would die in an air crash at Milan airport - I was pushing the glass though.. big_smile

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

I was fixing a boiler around 1a.m. one night, middle of winter in the basement of an apt building, had the door opened, it lead to some steps into the back court yard area. Still not sure what made me look up but I saw a golden dog walk by, a pair of adults legs, boots and trousers and a young kid bent down and waved at me, smiling. I thought I was seeing things so I ran out immediately, no one around. Who the fuck walks a dog and a small child at the that hour of the night?

Building I worked in in New York, I'm coming out of the back into the front hall, heading for the subway, big posh marble affair with two corridors off it, I looked left and saw an old guy by a big china cabinet so I nodded to the lad wh ran the elevator, he came over I said aren't you going to take that old fella up, him and the doorman looked at me like I was mad said there's be nobody in the lobby for over an hour. Brazilian guy who was working the elevator on the other side of the build laughed and said he'd seen the old guy sometimes when he'd worked over nights.

Any kid who grew up in East Leeds probably knows all the tales from Templenewsham house. I've spoken to the security guards when we were kids, after the snuff box robbery and they used to patrol inside at night. That didn't last long. One bloke told us there's one room where paintings used to fly off the wall even after they were put up with screws.

I believe in them. No more fantastical than God or the human race or Leeds getting 3 points.

Cuts wrote:

I believe in them. No more fantastical than God or the human race or Leeds getting 3 points.

Now you are delving into the realms of the supernatural. It'll take more than a bit of woo to make that happen. Although on saturday the wendies walked through our team as though they weren't there.

Back to the smell thing - Mississ Djp oftem said she was sure she could smell little Tadleigh in the house after she'd passed away. Think that was her mind playing tricks though - she never made it as far as the house. As for me, I smelt nothing as my sense of smell seems to come and go as it sees fit. Too many broken noses when I was a kid. Well, only one, just broken many times, mostly but not entirely while playing football.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

king of the slums wrote:

Sense of smell is an interesting one, as it's a sense that's closely linked to instinct. I can recall smells better than most memories and it's usually about the most unusual or mundane things. I can remember what our Christmas decorations smelled like when I was 4 years old, for example.

Not saying there's nowt in it - but smells are funny ones as they can be a lot more vivid than vision and touch.

Once did a ouija board and it said that me and my lass at the time would die in an air crash at Milan airport - I was pushing the glass though.. big_smile

I don't entirely agree, we can recall visual and aural stimulus and we can remember memories associated with smells but however fond you are of freshly mown grass you cannot recall that smell, you know it when you smell it but you cannot put that smell into your head, or at least I cannot, if other people can then I'll accept that and the implications that the experience I had in the graveyard could be explained.

If I let myself think that the graveyard thing was significant I think perhaps my brother was letting me know there is something more and that there would be some sort of reunification one day. I'm not saying I believe that but I wouldn't scoff at believers anymore.

Last edited by Foxy Dread (Mon 13 Jan 2014 8:23 am)

Suppose these things are very personal when they happen to you at times of heigthned emotional turmoil. Cant really comment on peoples personal experience but having never seen a ghost I have to believe its mostly complete bollocks.

I've had the smell thing before but nothing about people who are dead, ex girl friends, books, an old school satchell, plastacine etc.. Stuff from childhood mainly. All those smells, tastes etc get logged in your brain and must be triggered by something later on in life, an emotion, memory, whatever...

Also what the bloody hell is de ja vous all about? Thats weird!!

Last edited by placidcasual (Mon 13 Jan 2014 9:08 am)

placidcasual wrote:

Suppose these things are very personal when they happen to you at times of heigthned emotional turmoil. Cant really comment on peoples personal experience but having never seen a ghost I have to believe its mostly complete bollocks.

I've had the smell thing before but nothing about people who are dead, ex girl friends, books, an old school satchell, plastacine etc.. Stuff from childhood mainly. All those smells, tastes etc get logged in your brain and must be triggered by something later on in life, an emotion, memory, whatever...

Are you saying that an actual smell triggers memories, or thinking of your ex gf would make the smell of plasticine apparently flood your nostrils. If it's the latter then there will be nothing significant in my graveyard experience. It's not important to me that I validate what happened to me, I'm happy to disprove it, i'm not being defensive here, just trying to clarify your point for my understanding.

I reconise a smell, and I'm obviously not smelling it as such, but I am guessing my brain is putting it up as a recollection.

I cannot ask my brain to give me the smell of mowed grass on demand either.

But sometimes, a bit like placid mentions, a smell will come to mind and you can smell it or at least your brain is telling you you're smelling it and the labels you attach to it come back for no reason, so you could say subconciously and not on demand.

Or you actually smell something, like a wet dish cloth which is similar to 'a first pair of football boots' and it triggers an attached memory of the boots. 

For me anyway..

Last edited by king of the slums (Mon 13 Jan 2014 9:51 am)

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

I lost my cherry to a lass in my class in 1985 , it was a traumatic and erotic experience.A couple of times since then i have copped a whiff of the same perfume and on each occasion i have instantly recalled exact and minute details of that very day.

"...and have you ever seen one better timed ?"

woke in the night to see 3 floating figures,dressed to my 11 year old mind like pirates buckled shoes etc. one above my brothers bed another above the wardrobe and the third floating my way i dived under the covers and i laid there wide awake until morning.
Over the next few years I rationalised it as a dream never saw anything again.

Round at my brothers flat can't remember why but we got talking about ghosts etc when he starts relating a very similar tale to the one above. From the same era and house.

Still don't really believe, still sleep under the covers though they cant get you under there!

We were  recording down in London and rented  this four storey town house off Powys square owned by Phil May of the Pretty things. Really nice joint and with its own library which our drummer used as her bedroom. Me and the bass player had the top rooms.  She was home before us most nights until one night we got back and she was still downstairs. 

She said she'd been in bed when she heard something banging on the floor under the bed. It got louder until she felt the bed move... and then she said she got punched in the back, through the mattress.She said the mattres moved and the bed.  Believe me she was not given to  making stuff up ( or jokes of any kind) and she was shaking. she slept downstairs for the next few nights and then  gave it another go. Same thing  happened, but louder noises - we were still at the studio - and she ran out and cabbed it to the studio...  so she was back downstairs for the duration.

The next day I'm in  the top bedroom  with my girlfriend  having a lie-in and heard everyone going out. I nip down the many flights of stairs to the  bogs in the knack and half way down I hear someone returning, so I nip into the little bog on the stairs (as opposed to the main  bathroom).I wait until  the bass player has stomped up the three flights creaking stairs, past the door, ( i locked it)  and then I finish and go back up the stairs  to my room next to his.

We decide to get dressed and so I knock on the door to see if he's  coming out...No answer. I try again and look in, but his room deserted, in fact there is nobody in the house but us.

I am not exaggerating when I say someone stomped up the stairs, it was loud and heavy, righton the other side of the bog door. We had another week  to spend their and we were shitting ourselves every night. It even made the NME.

I am Fiery Jack. I believe in ghosts.

Powys square was in the film Performance wasnt it? Wouldnt suprise me those places being haunted. Rachman the landlord and all that stuff?

Never seen a ghost myself. Thankfully. Any time I think that I can remember anything is probably down to my imagination.

I am a right girl when it comes to being frightened and the dark!

I am just a common breed

Knew a woman who had a phantom pregnancy, seems someone had been putting the willies up her.

Foxy Dread wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Are you saying that an actual smell triggers memories, or thinking of your ex gf would make the smell of plasticine apparently flood your nostrils. If it's the latter then there will be nothing significant in my graveyard experience. It's not important to me that I validate what happened to me, I'm happy to disprove it, i'm not being defensive here, just trying to clarify your point for my understanding.

Not really arguing or disbelieving what you're saying. Just saying Ive never experienced seeing a ghost.

Smell - maybe different, the fuck do I know I'm not a smelloligist. But when you smell something it's in your mind forever what that smell represents. Who knows what goes on in our minds, souls and hearts especially with loss.

Quite often when we experience loss apparently we see, hear the person we lost in crowds or social situations. Some say this is the subconscious looking for that person or a form of denial. I apologise if you think I've tried to rationalise a very personal situation that's not the case. Just waffling.

placidcasual wrote:
Foxy Dread wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Not really arguing or disbelieving what you're saying. Just saying Ive never experienced seeing a ghost.

Smell - maybe different, the fuck do I know I'm not a smelloligist. But when you smell something it's in your mind forever what that smell represents. Who knows what goes on in our minds, souls and hearts especially with loss.

Quite often when we experience loss apparently we see, hear the person we lost in crowds or social situations. Some say this is the subconscious looking for that person or a form of denial. I apologise if you think I've tried to rationalise a very personal situation that's not the case. Just waffling.

I welcome anything that might explain my experience, so there's no danger of offending me I'm not precious about what happened it might well be grief related, hence me asking if it's possible to imagine a smell. It's not important to me that the graveyard thing has any special meaning to me, I'll find out one way or another soon enough. It's just one or those things that got me wondering.

Foxy Dread wrote:
placidcasual wrote:
Foxy Dread wrote:

I welcome anything that might explain my experience, so there's no danger of offending me I'm not precious about what happened it might well be grief related, hence me asking if it's possible to imagine a smell. It's not important to me that the graveyard thing has any special meaning to me, I'll find out one way or another soon enough. It's just one or those things that got me wondering.

It's funny isnt it how people rationalise what they dont understand. Me that is.

For the individual it is how it was perceived. If some harvard braniac can explain all that with neuron receptors and the like then thats fine but how does he explain the soul.

Me, I think there is much we don't understand about our own selves including our brains and hearts, the emotional element. Is emotion a genetic response bread into humans to preserve life and help the dominance of our species? Emotion, love, hate to nurture and protect, lust to pro create.

Not sure where all these shite has come from, I need to get back on the ale.

but having never seen a ghost I have to believe its mostly complete bollocks.

I feel the same way about Eastern Europe.