Re: Ghosts

Cuts wrote:

but having never seen a ghost I have to believe its mostly complete bollocks.

I feel the same way about Eastern Europe.

Nope thats real, ask this bloke:

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/180263/image_update_cdaea1042c69cad5_1364011137_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

Share

Re: Ghosts

placidcasual wrote:
Cuts wrote:

but having never seen a ghost I have to believe its mostly complete bollocks.

I feel the same way about Eastern Europe.

Nope thats real, ask this bloke:

http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/180263/image_update_cdaea1042c69cad5_1364011137_9j-4aaqsk.jpeg

His mouth has been replaced by the channel tunnel. If you look closely you can hoards of Bulgarians and Romanians peerng out of the darkness waiting for their chance of untold bounty on blighty's shores.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Ghosts

ive felt real terror sometimes, never actually seen a ghost but I have witnessed a few things

we moved into a pub in 1971 aged four and I lived there till 1985. some of my earliest memories are of being scared shitless in the place. when we moved in, the upstairs was awful, very dark, long corridors between rooms and everything seemed to be brown. it took a few months for me mum to get it looking nice.
because me mum and dad worked downstairs most nights I used to have a babysitter who would generally read me to sleep so the early years aren't too bad. I would be frightened sometimes but I was too young to know anything about ghosts etc.

what I remember from about the age of ten or so is how scared I used to get sometimes, if not all the time when I was on my own. on a night, the pub would be rammed downstairs and the noise levels were really high.
then when everyone left and me mum and dad went to bed you would notice how eerily quiet it seemed to get. the road noise was minimal and all I could hear was the sign outside the pub (my window) squeaking and swinging in the wind and the odd floorboard sound. sometimes the sign would stop swinging and that would shit me up even more. I started to get pretty fearful of leaving my room at night, I daren't run down the corridor to the toilet or owt, only if my mum or dad were there. sometimes I would just sense something outside my door and it would shit me up. you could say it was just my imagination and probably back then it was.

I would hate having to go through the pub in a morning because it was always pitch black with the curtains shut and I would have to feel my way across the tap room to get to the bar to get to the lights. I would shit myself doing it and sometimes I couldn't do it I was so scared, so I would have to shout for our kid or me parents...

my granddad had died a couple of years after we took the pub. me mum used to stand in the bathroom washing her face and would sense that someone was stood behind her. she would turn round and then think, oh its only me dad and then realise what she had done. she once went to a medium and when she walked in, the woman immediately said ' I see you've brought your dad with you' my mum was great at giving nothing away so never commented. then the medium said that her dad was saying someones name and started leaning to the left, rubbing her left arm and saying Miriam. my mums mum was called marion and my granddad died of a stroke, he couldn't say his wifes name marion properly and it sounded like Miriam.
she was pretty blown away by this and said the way the woman dropped her face, rubbed her hand and spoke was exactly how her dad looked and talked.
as I got older I started playing Ouija board with mates and that got very fuckin mental. quite a lot of scary weird stuff and no one pushed the glass around. but im not going into that. the pub had a bit of a refurb and me dad put an open fireplace back in. couple of weeks after, just before opening time he went to put some coal on it and he came back white as a sheet. a barmaid said whats up with you barney you look like you've seen a ghost! and he said that he had.
he had walked to the fire and a bloke was stood leaning on the fireplace and nodded at him as he walked over then just vanished. now me dad was not the kind of bloke who fucked about or believed in ghosts. in fact a week after he denied it and just seemed to dismiss it and forget it.
but things kept happening. for weeks glasses would keep exploding above our heads behind the bar. just bursting into tiny pieces. one night we counted nearly 20 glasses that randomly exploded on shelves. I pulled a pint for someone once and as I passed it him it just smashed into pieces and beer flew everywhere like someone had knocked it out his hand. one time a bloke sat down at the table and I saw his pint lift off about two feet in the air then spin over and it landed perfectly under the table on its base with all the beer intact. a few of us saw it and there was no explanation for that other than something did it. it was an impossible movement.

there was a disused stable across the car park, run down, no electricity etc and me and all the kids thought it was spooky upstairs and would play the Ouija board up there sometimes. once we tried to play and couldn't and then all three of us started feeling real terror. we got a bit freaked out and jumped down the hatch and scarpered across the car park to the beer garden. we then started pissing ourselves cos it was funny how scared we all got,and then me mate realised he had left his coat so we had to go back and get it.
we were all scared but also laughing at the situation and went back across the car park. we stood outside the door for a bit then opened it to go back in. when we pushed the door open my punchbag was swinging violently fast and the base was hitting the ceiling each time. we all stood for a few seconds, rooted to the spot because it was like something out of a horror film. it was impossible what was happening. if you slam a punhbag up to the ceiling it wont hit the celing again because of the weight of the base. ive tried it. we saw it do this on its own over ten times before we bolted.

whenever I have a nightmare or a really vivid dream I am always back in that pub thirty odd years ago.

I took the same pub back in 2008 for a year. grown man, no fear of anything anymore and I would wander around in the dark, lock up on my own, go to bed on my own etc. but on the very odd occasion with no warning I would get the feeling that someone was watching me and that feeling of terror would come back. I never saw anything. if anyone ever asked me if the pub was haunted I always said no. but each landlord since has seen ghosts there and all have experienced that fear.
like I said, ive never seen a ghost but ive seen enough/felt enough to not doubt anyone who has

Share

Re: Ghosts

Are you able to reveal the name of the pub Scootay?

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Share

Re: Ghosts

Good stuff scootay.

Defo next place for an OMJ meet up wherever it is

Share

Re: Ghosts

the shoulder of mutton in baildon, now the little blue orange.
and the fellas who bought it last year had never heard any ghost stories. before the refurb was finished they came to se me to ask if I had seen anything because both of them have seen ghosts on separate occasions. and again. they are not the kind of blokes to make stuff. far from it. one has seen a little girl I think in a bedroom, it shit him up

Share

Re: Ghosts

scootay wrote:

the shoulder of mutton in baildon, now the little blue orange.
and the fellas who bought it last year had never heard any ghost stories. before the refurb was finished they came to se me to ask if I had seen anything because both of them have seen ghosts on separate occasions. and again. they are not the kind of blokes to make stuff. far from it. one has seen a little girl I think in a bedroom, it shit him up

Used to go in there regular on Sunday night road trips. Big crowd of us. Never saw any ghosts though, although I'm trawling the darkest recesses of my memory and something does ring a bell up there about ghostly goings on. What is even more scary is that I probably know your mum and dad from those days (early 80s) and our lot probably slipped you a couple of bob if you were collecting glasses. And gave you the clip around the ear if you were a cheeky little runt! Not surprised you got into boxing. Did we ever get you to do the 'I bet you 10p I can down that pint in one' trick?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Ghosts

Interesting post Scootay, thanks for sharing. As per posts passim i'd a very weird experience with a medium. Proper shook me in my confidence of science and the physical world. My own current view is that there is stuff we have yet to discover let alone fathom, with this and with space. Einstein is not the smartest guy whoever lived, just the smartest guy who lived so far. Some of the ET shit gets into how can they do what we don't (i know I'm cross thread at this point) but physicist have posited interstellar travel around worm holes and folding space. I do not even pretend to understand the concepts, my physics is not up to it. I guess where I'm at is there appears to be a load of stuff out there that our current understanding cannot explain. What we do generaly as a rule is belittle those who've a story to tell and dismiss the data. I for one am not wearing a tin hat or consulting mediums on a regular basis, but there is stuff that sits outside of conventional wisdom that is worthy of study in my humble opinion.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Share

Re: Ghosts

cheese has a lot to answer for

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Share

Re: Ghosts

scootay wrote:

the shoulder of mutton in baildon, now the little blue orange.
and the fellas who bought it last year had never heard any ghost stories. before the refurb was finished they came to se me to ask if I had seen anything because both of them have seen ghosts on separate occasions. and again. they are not the kind of blokes to make stuff. far from it. one has seen a little girl I think in a bedroom, it shit him up


The Little Blue Orange, any self respecting ghost would pack up and leave just on the name change alone.

Share

Re: Ghosts

It's giving me the creeps this, me mam might have been watching me wank for the last five years.

Share

Re: Ghosts

im scared just reading this!

Share

Re: Ghosts

albert herbert hawkins wrote:

Interesting post Scootay, thanks for sharing. As per posts passim i'd a very weird experience with a medium. Proper shook me in my confidence of science and the physical world. My own current view is that there is stuff we have yet to discover let alone fathom, with this and with space. Einstein is not the smartest guy whoever lived, just the smartest guy who lived so far. Some of the ET shit gets into how can they do what we don't (i know I'm cross thread at this point) but physicist have posited interstellar travel around worm holes and folding space. I do not even pretend to understand the concepts, my physics is not up to it. I guess where I'm at is there appears to be a load of stuff out there that our current understanding cannot explain. What we do generaly as a rule is belittle those who've a story to tell and dismiss the data. I for one am not wearing a tin hat or consulting mediums on a regular basis, but there is stuff that sits outside of conventional wisdom that is worthy of study in my humble opinion.

Once went to see a medium after being pestered for years. At a weak moment I decided to go and see this woman who lived in a little red-brick terrace house somewhere up little horton lane in Bratfud. I went on the basis I woud be able to return home and report that that as suspected, it was all a load a wank, and that my mate's wife (the one pestering) owed me a tenner or whatever it cost.

Within 5 minutes I went white as a sheet as this woman proceeded to tell me all about myself and my life, shit that nobody could have possibly known. She predicted stuff in the future that was bollocks at the time, but which came to fruition within 3 years (I only realised when I found the taope of our meeting). Net result, I agree with AHH, there is a whole lotof shit out there that we have no idea about. And do I believe in mediums? Yes, very much so.

Last edited by Mitaman (Fri 17 Jan 2014 1:27 am)

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Share

Re: Ghosts

scootay wrote:

ive felt real terror sometimes, never actually seen a ghost but I have witnessed a few things

we moved into a pub in 1971 aged four and I lived there till 1985. some of my earliest memories are of being scared shitless in the place. when we moved in, the upstairs was awful, very dark, long corridors between rooms and everything seemed to be brown. it took a few months for me mum to get it looking nice.
because me mum and dad worked downstairs most nights I used to have a babysitter who would generally read me to sleep so the early years aren't too bad. I would be frightened sometimes but I was too young to know anything about ghosts etc.

what I remember from about the age of ten or so is how scared I used to get sometimes, if not all the time when I was on my own. on a night, the pub would be rammed downstairs and the noise levels were really high.
then when everyone left and me mum and dad went to bed you would notice how eerily quiet it seemed to get. the road noise was minimal and all I could hear was the sign outside the pub (my window) squeaking and swinging in the wind and the odd floorboard sound. sometimes the sign would stop swinging and that would shit me up even more. I started to get pretty fearful of leaving my room at night, I daren't run down the corridor to the toilet or owt, only if my mum or dad were there. sometimes I would just sense something outside my door and it would shit me up. you could say it was just my imagination and probably back then it was.

I would hate having to go through the pub in a morning because it was always pitch black with the curtains shut and I would have to feel my way across the tap room to get to the bar to get to the lights. I would shit myself doing it and sometimes I couldn't do it I was so scared, so I would have to shout for our kid or me parents...

my granddad had died a couple of years after we took the pub. me mum used to stand in the bathroom washing her face and would sense that someone was stood behind her. she would turn round and then think, oh its only me dad and then realise what she had done. she once went to a medium and when she walked in, the woman immediately said ' I see you've brought your dad with you' my mum was great at giving nothing away so never commented. then the medium said that her dad was saying someones name and started leaning to the left, rubbing her left arm and saying Miriam. my mums mum was called marion and my granddad died of a stroke, he couldn't say his wifes name marion properly and it sounded like Miriam.
she was pretty blown away by this and said the way the woman dropped her face, rubbed her hand and spoke was exactly how her dad looked and talked.
as I got older I started playing Ouija board with mates and that got very fuckin mental. quite a lot of scary weird stuff and no one pushed the glass around. but im not going into that. the pub had a bit of a refurb and me dad put an open fireplace back in. couple of weeks after, just before opening time he went to put some coal on it and he came back white as a sheet. a barmaid said whats up with you barney you look like you've seen a ghost! and he said that he had.
he had walked to the fire and a bloke was stood leaning on the fireplace and nodded at him as he walked over then just vanished. now me dad was not the kind of bloke who fucked about or believed in ghosts. in fact a week after he denied it and just seemed to dismiss it and forget it.
but things kept happening. for weeks glasses would keep exploding above our heads behind the bar. just bursting into tiny pieces. one night we counted nearly 20 glasses that randomly exploded on shelves. I pulled a pint for someone once and as I passed it him it just smashed into pieces and beer flew everywhere like someone had knocked it out his hand. one time a bloke sat down at the table and I saw his pint lift off about two feet in the air then spin over and it landed perfectly under the table on its base with all the beer intact. a few of us saw it and there was no explanation for that other than something did it. it was an impossible movement.

there was a disused stable across the car park, run down, no electricity etc and me and all the kids thought it was spooky upstairs and would play the Ouija board up there sometimes. once we tried to play and couldn't and then all three of us started feeling real terror. we got a bit freaked out and jumped down the hatch and scarpered across the car park to the beer garden. we then started pissing ourselves cos it was funny how scared we all got,and then me mate realised he had left his coat so we had to go back and get it.
we were all scared but also laughing at the situation and went back across the car park. we stood outside the door for a bit then opened it to go back in. when we pushed the door open my punchbag was swinging violently fast and the base was hitting the ceiling each time. we all stood for a few seconds, rooted to the spot because it was like something out of a horror film. it was impossible what was happening. if you slam a punhbag up to the ceiling it wont hit the celing again because of the weight of the base. ive tried it. we saw it do this on its own over ten times before we bolted.

whenever I have a nightmare or a really vivid dream I am always back in that pub thirty odd years ago.

I took the same pub back in 2008 for a year. grown man, no fear of anything anymore and I would wander around in the dark, lock up on my own, go to bed on my own etc. but on the very odd occasion with no warning I would get the feeling that someone was watching me and that feeling of terror would come back. I never saw anything. if anyone ever asked me if the pub was haunted I always said no. but each landlord since has seen ghosts there and all have experienced that fear.
like I said, ive never seen a ghost but ive seen enough/felt enough to not doubt anyone who has


Get to fuck you big fucking jessie.  lol

We raided the old protestant church in town for years and many before us, had my first shag there and partied in the crypts sat amongst the bones. When you're dead, you're dead.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Ghosts

That said, my Mam swore she heard the Banshee twice just before someone died, right before like. Like your Dad, not prone to hyperbole. Demons in, spooks out.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Ghosts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Ghosts

Now I think about it. Know several people who have walked and cycled the famine road from Killary Harbour to Galway [where near a million died in the famine walking to the city for food] who have said they've seen people following them, then gone. Wouldn't fancy walking it in the dark myself, desolate place. Doesn't seem to bother the sheep mind and lovely views over the Fjord.

Last edited by Mol (Fri 17 Jan 2014 3:04 am)

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Ghosts

http://emmmyjaysexcellentadventures.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/galway-mayo-sligo-donegal-5-2012-0351.jpg

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Ghosts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading

suck'ahs to the side I know you hate my 98'

Share

Re: Ghosts

Mol wrote:

Now I think about it. Know several people who have walked and cycled the famine road from Killary Harbour to Galway [where near a million died in the famine walking to the city for food] who have said they've seen people following them, then gone. Wouldn't fancy walking it in the dark myself, desolate place. Doesn't seem to bother the sheep mind and lovely views over the Fjord.

That's a Ria not a Fjord.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Ghosts

Djpekingman wrote:
Mol wrote:

Now I think about it. Know several people who have walked and cycled the famine road from Killary Harbour to Galway [where near a million died in the famine walking to the city for food] who have said they've seen people following them, then gone. Wouldn't fancy walking it in the dark myself, desolate place. Doesn't seem to bother the sheep mind and lovely views over the Fjord.

That's a Ria not a Fjord.

That's fighting talk in them parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killary_Harbour

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: Ghosts

Djpekingman wrote:
Mol wrote:

Now I think about it. Know several people who have walked and cycled the famine road from Killary Harbour to Galway [where near a million died in the famine walking to the city for food] who have said they've seen people following them, then gone. Wouldn't fancy walking it in the dark myself, desolate place. Doesn't seem to bother the sheep mind and lovely views over the Fjord.

That's a Ria not a Fjord.

I'd call that a fjord. Not sure what kind though. Maybe an escjourt or a fjocus.

Share

Re: Ghosts

Mol wrote:

http://emmmyjaysexcellentadventures.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/galway-mayo-sligo-donegal-5-2012-0351.jpg

Is that sheep on casters?

Share

Re: Ghosts

Mol wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:
Mol wrote:

Now I think about it. Know several people who have walked and cycled the famine road from Killary Harbour to Galway [where near a million died in the famine walking to the city for food] who have said they've seen people following them, then gone. Wouldn't fancy walking it in the dark myself, desolate place. Doesn't seem to bother the sheep mind and lovely views over the Fjord.

That's a Ria not a Fjord.

That's fighting talk in them parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killary_Harbour

Oh here we go! First time I'm free is August, but I understand you're booked up in August. Next time after that is probably January. You can pencil me in for then. I'll let you know if there's any change. No Flooded Glacial valleys (Fjords) in Ireland - only Rias (flooded river valleys). It's not even U shaped.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Share

Re: Ghosts

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:
Mol wrote:

Now I think about it. Know several people who have walked and cycled the famine road from Killary Harbour to Galway [where near a million died in the famine walking to the city for food] who have said they've seen people following them, then gone. Wouldn't fancy walking it in the dark myself, desolate place. Doesn't seem to bother the sheep mind and lovely views over the Fjord.

That's a Ria not a Fjord.

I'd call that a fjord. Not sure what kind though. Maybe an escjourt or a fjocus.

Kerry big_smile

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Share