Re: Ghosts

yeah but.

yeah but. no credible evidence ever captured on camera or microphone. you'd think, reading this, that ghostly happenings were two-a-penny.

you'd think that just some of this had been captured by some sort of recording device, at some point.

which is not to denigrate the ability of the human mind to generate or perceive phenomena with no rational explanation; it's happened to me once before.

I haven't felt this good for an hour

great post scootay, btw.

I haven't felt this good for an hour

placidcasual wrote:

Is that sheep on casters?

Upwardly mobile.

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Djpekingman wrote:
Mol wrote:
Djpekingman wrote:

That's a Ria not a Fjord.

That's fighting talk in them parts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killary_Harbour

Oh here we go! First time I'm free is August, but I understand you're booked up in August. Next time after that is probably January. You can pencil me in for then. I'll let you know if there's any change. No Flooded Glacial valleys (Fjords) in Ireland - only Rias (flooded river valleys). It's not even U shaped.

I would, but I'll be dead :-)

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

About 20 years ago, the wife and I ended up at the Victoria Hotel in Robin Hoods Bay, the one at the top of the cliff. There were two rooms available - one en suite, the other with a sea view. The Mrs decided on the latter.

The obligatory post-midnight trek meant a trip across the landing to the corridor opposite. Beyond a heavy fire door there were probably two or three toilet cubicles, with a bathroom at the end. I'd guess the facilities hadn't been updated in at least 50 years.

As I was taking my ease, I heard heavy footsteps stomp down the corridor. The toilet door handle was rattled, then the footsteps headed towards the bathroom at the end of the corridor.

I thought it a bit odd as

a) I didn't hear the fire door at the start of the corridor open or slam shut and

b) there was at least one other toilet cubicle unoccupied and the door open, so why try the handle on my trap and

c) the footsteps carried on to the bathroom, not stopping at another toilet.

I was a bit uncomfortable, but curious as to who had tried the door handle. So I went down to the bathroom and switched the light on, but it was empty. So there was nothing or nobody that was or had been in that stretch between the fire door and the bathroom that could have rattled the door handle.

As I turned backed down the corridor towards the fire door, the hair on my back stood on end and I was filled with a feeling of absolute terror, with a voice in my head saying, "Do not turn round to look at me..."

I didn't need to be told twice. I legged it back to the bedroom.

The next morning the Mrs and I shared a relaxed breakfast. I thought it best not to mention anything until we were clear of the place.

As we were driving away, we turned to each other and almost simultaneously said, "Do you know what, a funny thing happened when I went to the toilet last night..."

Tolley wrote:

About 20 years ago, the wife and I ended up at the Victoria Hotel in Robin Hoods Bay, the one at the top of the cliff. There were two rooms available - one en suite, the other with a sea view. The Mrs decided on the latter.

The obligatory post-midnight trek meant a trip across the landing to the corridor opposite. Beyond a heavy fire door there were probably two or three toilet cubicles, with a bathroom at the end. I'd guess the facilities hadn't been updated in at least 50 years.

As I was taking my ease, I heard heavy footsteps stomp down the corridor. The toilet door handle was rattled, then the footsteps headed towards the bathroom at the end of the corridor.

I thought it a bit odd as

a) I didn't hear the fire door at the start of the corridor open or slam shut and

b) there was at least one other toilet cubicle unoccupied and the door open, so why try the handle on my trap and

c) the footsteps carried on to the bathroom, not stopping at another toilet.

I was a bit uncomfortable, but curious as to who had tried the door handle. So I went down to the bathroom and switched the light on, but it was empty. So there was nothing or nobody that was or had been in that stretch between the fire door and the bathroom that could have rattled the door handle.

As I turned backed down the corridor towards the fire door, the hair on my back stood on end and I was filled with a feeling of absolute terror, with a voice in my head saying, "Do not turn round to look at me..."

I didn't need to be told twice. I legged it back to the bedroom.

The next morning the Mrs and I shared a relaxed breakfast. I thought it best not to mention anything until we were clear of the place.

As we were driving away, we turned to each other and almost simultaneously said, "Do you know what, a funny thing happened when I went to the toilet last night..."

Reads like an MR James short story

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Seldom Seen Kid wrote:

Did you mean that as a complimentary or disparaging comment?

I've only written it as I remembered how it happened.

Grew up in what was excepted by all (except one of my older brothers) to be a 'haunted' house, too many varied and unscientific tales to tell. Visions, voices, children running around, physical contact, objects moving and flying around as people watched, bolt that had been painted open for decades freeing itself, locking and door having to be removed.

Current house int quiet either, although I've not experienced anything at all for maybe twenty years, does it to Mrs Mick and the kids, occasionally very strong.

Last edited by MickMcCann (Sat 18 Jan 2014 12:22 pm)

I’ll be an atheist until the day I die.

just one of those things you have to experience to give any credence to I reckon. Otherwise you're just more sceptical than Gore when his corns are playing up Leeds have lost. Once you had one though, well the world seems a little different. Did to me anyway.

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

albert herbert hawkins wrote:

just one of those things you have to experience to give any credence to I reckon. Otherwise you're just more sceptical than Gore when his corns are playing up Leeds have lost. Once you had one though, well the world seems a little different. Did to me anyway.

That was the thing about bro who dint experience anything. The other 5 (+ friends and extended family - my Gran refused to enter the house for example) were illogical, deluded nutters but only on this topic.

No idea what the phenomena is other than I suspect it's connected to human energy, (dead or alive) and it can be very strong - I remember mi Dad paggering the bolt with a hammer and it wouldn't budge, no idea how they get the door off.

Never really scared me that much as I'd grown up with it. In fact remember sleeping in the house on my own (quite young) and shouting at them to shut up and they did.

I’ll be an atheist until the day I die.

Tolley wrote:
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:

Did you mean that as a complimentary or disparaging comment?

I've only written it as I remembered how it happened.

Complimentary..... MR James is master of the gothic ghost story

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

I can well believe the McCann residence was haunted. I used to get he heebeegeebees walking up Hollyshaw Lane at night.

Cuts wrote:

I can well believe the McCann residence was haunted. I used to get he heebeegeebees walking up Hollyshaw Lane at.night.

especially friday nights just after the st marys disco had finished when it looked the remake of micheal jacksons thriller video , I'm the scariest thing now on hollyshaw lane

Last edited by hendersonjones (Sun 19 Jan 2014 9:00 am)

Ghost stories proper shit me up.  Anyone seen The Changeling with George C Scott?

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I went to Bramley baths this morning for a swim. It's the last Victorian bath house in the city. Looks great. Two blokes in there with some kind of gadgets taking readings and noting down the findings in each room. I'm sat in the foyer bit putting my shoes on. So I ask the fella's, "what you taking readings for gas or something", "no mate, ghosts".

Apparently, where I was sat was a particularly strong reading. What a load of old cock! More likley my breath after the bottle and half of plonk I had last night.

Anyway if you're interested they're going to be doing paranormal nights. Ghost hunting or something.

Ghosts? For a minute there I thought it was 1974 big_smile

Bet you all say 'bless you' when someone sneezes..

snake hips

placidcasual wrote:

So I ask the fella's, "what you taking readings for gas or something", "no mate, ghosts".

When he said ghosts you should have looked dramatically startled and said "whosts??!" in a Scooby doo voice.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Ghost stories proper shit me up.  Anyone seen The Changeling with George C Scott?

That was the scariest film of all time until I saw The Ring. Western version based on the Japanese film.

Last edited by Mitaman (Sun 05 Oct 2014 9:03 am)

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

Mitaman wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

That was the scariest film of all time until I saw The Ring. Western version based on the Japanese film.

not seen that.  is it gory like most modern films?

The ball and the wheelchair in The Changeling always shat me up. Great score too.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Sun 05 Oct 2014 9:22 am)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
Mitaman wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

not seen that.  is it gory like most modern films?

The ball and the wheelchair in The Changeling always shat me up. Great score too.

Not gory, just very frightening.

'a face like a binmans glove... like a Sea Bream's anus...like a dill pickle in a cobblers handbag'

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/scie … 4101491704

snake hips

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Is that the one where he throws the ball up the stairs, it doesn't land, and then it comes back down step by step? Brown trousers stuff.

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

90Piesanhour wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Is that the one where he throws the ball up the stairs, it doesn't land, and then it comes back down step by step? Brown trousers stuff.

Oooooooo big scary bollox!!

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Quick spook update
Some time ago I went to Allerton castle to organise a  corporate event. It was gonna be a long day so I asked if I could book a room to collapse in. The woman hesitated then said sure. I said is there a problem. She said "are you ok with ghosts?"  I said , cmon, really? she said unless you are ok with it, we won't book you in.  I asked again if she was joking but she said matter of factly, 'yes it's haunted, so if you are scared easily, best not to stay. I don't anymore.'

When we got married we immediately ruled it out as a venue....

First, I don't actually believe in ghosts, which in my mind makes this story even more weird.

Before my granddad died, he was really poorly for a while, couldn't leave the house. Also he had a bad leg which meant he sort of shuffled on one leg. Anyhows, I was living at my Mum and Dads at the time, and had gone to the Black Bull up Horsforth town street. Didn't have a skin full, but a few. I get home and went to bed. My Mum and Dad have separate rooms because my Dad snores big time (it runs in the family). I had gone to sleep and then I hear my Dads bedroom door open, then I hear someone on the landing, and it sounds like they are dragging something. Then I hear my mums door open, and the same dragging noise. Then finally I hear my Dads door go again, and the light come on. I thought at the time it was strange, but put it down to having a couple of pints. Woke up in the morning and my Mum took a phone call to say her Dad had died in the night. I had forgotten all about the previous night.

That evening when I got home from work, my Dad said do you want to hear something weird. He recounted the tale that I had heard. Hairs on the back of my neck stood up. My Dad had got into work and told the fella at work what had happened, and said don't be surprised if he got a phone call from my Mum to say her Dad had died. Sure enough ten minutes later.

Like I say, I don't believe in ghosts, but I have no doubt it was my Grandad in my mum and dad's house that night.