Re: Any Scooterists on OMJ?

CBT booked for Mid-September, i'll be going shopping as soon as i'm legal.

wild is the wind

Ha, misread that at first, wondered where we were going.

What about one of the Piaggo 3 wheel things, you can ride with a car licence?

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Do they let scooters on motorways?

If you're gonna get a licence for two wheels I'd get a proper bike rather than a something that sounds like a frog in a washing machine.

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

I think it's any bike over 125? And you can't have l plates.

I've got frogs in me garden, might throw one in the washer and compare. 

I can tell a lambretta from miles off with the sound and I love the smell of 2 stroke. Big bikes do nothing for me.

CBT passed last Sunday and Vespa deposit paid this morning.

Pick it up next Saturday.

Was going to go with a new PX but after a chat with the guy in the local dealership, he recommended an auto until I build more two wheel confidence then come back for a trade in.

Going with a 3 year old LX125.

Roll on next Saturday.

wild is the wind

Mr Drew Busby Esq. wrote:

CBT passed last Sunday and Vespa deposit paid this morning.

Pick it up next Saturday.

Was going to go with a new PX but after a chat with the guy in the local dealership, he recommended an auto until I build more two wheel confidence then come back for a trade in.

Going with a 3 year old LX125.

Roll on next Saturday.

Make sure you lock it up well - there's loads getting nicked at the moment.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Vespa picked up the back of nine this morning and just home.

The dealer is only around 11 miles away but every time i got close to home, i shot off in another direction.

The purists may not like modern, auto scooters but i've had a blast with more of the same planned for tomorrow.

The only reason i decided to call it a day was down to the wind picking up and the gusts replacing my massive smile with sheer terror.

I'd have had my mid life crisis in my early 30's if i knew it was going to be this much fun.

wild is the wind

So I'm thinking of getting myself a scooter....

I don't think you can quite call it a mid-life crisis as I'm too young for a start and if I'm going to get one it might as well be now as I'm (relatively) young, free and single. I don't have a car and tend to get most places on foot or bus-ing it, so a scooter would come in handy for nipping about.

I'm not especially a fan of modern scooters aesthetically but not sure whether they would be better to start off with to learn how to ride? Are manuals that tricky to ride? Is it a recipe for disaster to buy and self-teach a little bit on quiet roads?
I've probably got a budget of a couple of grand, which from a bit of research would probably get me an old Vespa? Is there anywhere online I should be looking to buy a used one? I do like the look of Lambrettas more but don't think the budget will quite strecth that far for the time being.

2 grand your gonna struggle with a lambretta. I've been looking again and I think the bubble has burst slightly. I can't afford one right now but I look now and again. Watched three really nice ones on ebay last week, two were show winners. Starting price 3300 to 3800 quid and none got a bid.

Buzz solo moto have them in needing work for 1500 quid ish most of the time. Give buzz 500 quid more and he should get it reliable, it'll just look a bit ratty.

Geared scooters are dead easy to ride tho so don't worry about that. But they do the ln series now. Seen them at 2 grand ish. No idea what they're like but for a modern scooter using the lambretta name they look ok. Never found vespas aesthetically pleasing apart from the odd 60s ones.

I've never seen one in the flesh but the Neco Abruzzi looks really nice.  Basically a modern version of a 60's Vespa.  Very pretty.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

scootay wrote:

2 grand your gonna struggle with a lambretta. I've been looking again and I think the bubble has burst slightly. I can't afford one right now but I look now and again. Watched three really nice ones on ebay last week, two were show winners. Starting price 3300 to 3800 quid and none got a bid.

Buzz solo moto have them in needing work for 1500 quid ish most of the time. Give buzz 500 quid more and he should get it reliable, it'll just look a bit ratty.

Geared scooters are dead easy to ride tho so don't worry about that. But they do the ln series now. Seen them at 2 grand ish. No idea what they're like but for a modern scooter using the lambretta name they look ok. Never found vespas aesthetically pleasing apart from the odd 60s ones.

Oh yeh I agree. I think what I would probably end up doing is getting something cheaper, maybe an old Vespa or a more modern one and getting used to riding with a view to something nicer down the line if it doesn't become just a passing fad. There also appears to be a decent Lambretta workshop near me in Cambridge, which I'm sure would be a good place to look in the future and also for maintenance etc.

I looked at the new ln's and they look quite nice but I'm a bit unsure on the modern ones to be perfectly honest. The same goes with the lml and Neco Abruzzi's that Reggie posted. Although they look the part to an extent and may be easier as an introduction to scootering for me, they just don't auite sit right for some reason if that makes sense?

For any scooter boys interested, big event in Todmorden this sat (18th July). "Todrophenia"
Loads of scooter clubs from Halifax, Burnley, Oldham, Rochdale. Tod cricket club, live music. Good day out.
I shall be in attendance in my guise as an ageing, scooterless mod.

TheHumanDynamo wrote:
scootay wrote:

Oh yeh I agree. I think what I would probably end up doing is getting something cheaper, maybe an old Vespa or a more modern one and getting used to riding with a view to something nicer down the line if it doesn't become just a passing fad. There also appears to be a decent Lambretta workshop near me in Cambridge, which I'm sure would be a good place to look in the future and also for maintenance etc.

I looked at the new ln's and they look quite nice but I'm a bit unsure on the modern ones to be perfectly honest. The same goes with the lml and Neco Abruzzi's that Reggie posted. Although they look the part to an extent and may be easier as an introduction to scootering for me, they just don't auite sit right for some reason if that makes sense?

I know what you mean, the purist in me would struggle to buy anything outside a very narrow set of options too.   The Neco Abruzzi is very pretty though and the modern Lambo less so I'd say. 

http://www.manchestermotorbikecentre.co.uk/large/DSC03447175807.jpg

http://modculture.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451cbb069e2014e895c572a970d-pi

LML Star is just a Vespa PX by another name. 

http://www.lmlparts.co.uk/photos/LML_EURO_200.jpg

Reggie Perrin wrote:
TheHumanDynamo wrote:
scootay wrote:

I know what you mean, the purist in me would struggle to buy anything outside a very narrow set of options too.   The Neco Abruzzi is very pretty though and the modern Lambo less so I'd say. 

http://www.manchestermotorbikecentre.co.uk/large/DSC03447175807.jpg

http://modculture.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451cbb069e2014e895c572a970d-pi

The Lambo to me looks as though they have just used a couple of Lambo style points on a generic modern scooter.  See how there is too much wheel on view at the back, this is a feature of modern twist and go models and not old school cooders.  I wouldn't buy one for that reason alone.  The Neco is a better homage even down to the front forks where, again, the new Lambo LN fails to follow tradition.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Tue 14 Jul 2015 12:27 pm)

I'm definitely impressed with the looks of that neco.

Personally I would get a geared Vespa or LML first and find out if you really like it - then move on to a Lambretta (and all that comes with them) once you're certain. I know lads who've bought twist & go's after having geared scooters only to find that they're boring to drive as all you've got to do is twist the throttle. If you can drive a car you can easily ride a geared scooter. Cambridge Lambretta (CamLam) have a good reputation near you and also a decent website if you want to have a look at what's for sale.

Yeh a geared Vespa is certainly what I am thinking at the minute.
I've had a look at the CamLam website before and it looks like a good set up, but no Vespa's for sale. Is there a particularly good place to look for used ones? A scooter boy website with classifieds? I've had a look on ebay and gumtree etc and there looks to be a few options kicking about.

That's what I've always had geared Vespas, they are tricky fuckers and they rust but they are classic.  I am very tempted to look at a Neco more closely though.  I bet it is light, nippy and plastic but I'm not sure that bothers me too much.

THD, try the classifieds in Scootering:  http://www.scootertrader.com/  although may not be many bargains.

scootay wrote:

I'm definitely impressed with the looks of that neco.

Told ya it was pretty.  The 50cc is cheap as fuck but like as not wouldn't even move with any of us on them.

the scootering mag is as good a place as any to start but if you have Facebook there are a few selling sites on there vespa/lambretta for sale being one of them. if you want an auto that looks good there's a twist n go called a scomadi which looks like a lambretta gp. look nice but not for me.

joepetersgarage wrote:

the scootering mag is as good a place as any to start but if you have Facebook there are a few selling sites on there vespa/lambretta for sale being one of them. if you want an auto that looks good there's a twist n go called a scomadi which looks like a lambretta gp. look nice but not for me.

Not cheap them Scomadis.  Might as well buy a proper GP which will appreciate in value.

Travis, you might need one of these for your next bike ride !!

Used to deal a lot with Eric at esp scooters in Wigan. Just googled to see if they were still going only to see he died 4 years back. He was a top fella, really helpful and honest.

There was a place in batley too but I can't remember their name now. They used to advertise in on target magazine, also did clothes too. I walked in there mid 90s to look at scooters. Fella looked at the vespas section and asked if I wanted pleasure, then the lambretta and said pain. I've said earlier on in the thread that I didn't get much or any Pain with mine. at one time there were about a dozen of us locally having lambrettas and we rarely had them break down.  Used to do the Yorkshire scooter alliance runs, maybe 500 scoots. I swear you'd see more vespas at the side of the road. 

Lambrettas look so cool to me as do early vespas. Always found the px range and t5s ugly. I kind of liked the fact lambrettas finished in 71 and therefore remain of a period. The Indian stuff and Spanish never interested me. Innocenti only true lambi. Vespas continued and glad they did but there's nothing pleasing on the eye about a modern vespa.

Harley davisons don't float my boat? How can they? I have an inner mod that wins every time.

Passed two harleys today and not surprisingly ridden by two fat old scruffy blokes wearing shit clothes. and sadly everytime I pass a scooter it's driven by a fat old cunt wearing shit clothes. The mods that are as modern as a Philips n1700.