Re: Any Scooterists on OMJ?

scootay wrote:

Used to deal a lot with Eric at esp scooters in Wigan. Just googled to see if they were still going only to see he died 4 years back. He was a top fella, really helpful and honest.

There was a place in batley too but I can't remember their name now. They used to advertise in on target magazine, also did clothes too. I walked in there mid 90s to look at scooters. Fella looked at the vespas section and asked if I wanted pleasure, then the lambretta and said pain. I've said earlier on in the thread that I didn't get much or any Pain with mine. at one time there were about a dozen of us locally having lambrettas and we rarely had them break down.  Used to do the Yorkshire scooter alliance runs, maybe 500 scoots. I swear you'd see more vespas at the side of the road. 

Lambrettas look so cool to me as do early vespas. Always found the px range and t5s ugly. I kind of liked the fact lambrettas finished in 71 and therefore remain of a period. The Indian stuff and Spanish never interested me. Innocenti only true lambi. Vespas continued and glad they did but there's nothing pleasing on the eye about a modern vespa.

Harley davisons don't float my boat? How can they? I have an inner mod that wins every time.

Passed two harleys today and not surprisingly ridden by two fat old scruffy blokes wearing shit clothes. and sadly everytime I pass a scooter it's driven by a fat old cunt wearing shit clothes. The mods that are as modern as a Philips n1700.

Ha!!

All Noise No Action Harley Wankers
Ridden by born again Merchant Bankers

Twats to a man.

Last edited by Djpekingman (Wed 15 Jul 2015 6:55 am)

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

So I'm hopefully off to see a '62 Vespa on Saturday. Anything specifically to look out for given I know fuck all relatively?

Dropped a bit of a bollock with this particular one. It's a 150 and didn't realise CBT only allows you to ride up to 125 and would need a full licence for it. It's not been registered with the DVLA as of yet (Italian import I think) and needs a MOT doing, anyway possible loopholes around this licensing dilemma wink?

TheHumanDynamo wrote:

So I'm hopefully off to see a '62 Vespa on Saturday. Anything specifically to look out for given I know fuck all relatively?

Dropped a bit of a bollock with this particular one. It's a 150 and didn't realise CBT only allows you to ride up to 125 and would need a full licence for it. It's not been registered with the DVLA as of yet (Italian import I think) and needs a MOT doing, anyway possible loopholes around this licensing dilemma wink?

No.  Do your test.

Leeds United:  Boiling Barnsley's piss since 2018.

I registered my 150 lambi as a 125. Just told them I'd changed the engine. Very simple

Yeh I got the impression you did that and was thinking along the same lines.  A quick google suggested they might want to inspect it though?!

I would say that most scooters on the road today have a bigger or more souped up engine in them than shows on the v5.
I think you need to get a mechanic to write a report stating that the engine has been downgraded to 125 and that will satisfy the dvla although that may be easier said than done as he will in effect be lying in your case. Easiest way would be to pass your test.
I'd check the floor of the Vespa chassis for rust & behind the number plate (it traps water) Enginewise, who knows what's in it until you open it up !
Good luck.

Do the test.  The aging mod look is spoilt somewhat by an L plate.

The dvla never asked for proof from me. And unless you get a scooterist copper, no old bill would have a clue what your riding. I also never passed my test and never put L plates on. I rode mine unregistered for years with false plates on. The plates we're off a vespa and I was on a lambretta. Once got stopped for a back light out. Copper told me my vespa was down as green. I said oh yeah I painted it red and white few months back. He was alright with that, just told me to notify dvla of the colour change. At one point there was about a dozen of us riding out somewhere every week. And none of us were legal. All had bigger engined scooters and no one had passed their test. Not encouraging you to break the law but I've always liked breaking it. Personally I would register it as a 125 and ride without l plates. Take your test if you want but don't panic. Long as your insured any camera or copper you go past won't stop you. I think they think we are enthusiasts who have spent a few quid on a classic scoot and everything will be above board

I never had L plates on, look shit.  The big problems would come if you stack it into the back of a Porsche and the insurance doesn't pay out.  At least with L plates you can whip a magnetic on out of the glove box and put it on the front.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Or just do the test.  Book a few days off work and do an intensive course.  Do it while the weather is nice and it's a nice holiday.  Some training centres have caravans onsite.  Get a full "A" licence. Cheaper insurance. Have some fun.

I was planning on getting my full licence at some point if I'm honest, but the course isn't exactly look cheap and I'd rather be up and running sooner rather than later. The bloke I'm off to see looks like he's restored/imported a few so I may test the water with him and see what he thinks.

It's been just over a year since i done my CBT and it'll be a year on Sunday since i picked up my LX125.

Yup, it's a modern Vespa but i've had a blast nipping about everywhere.  Electric start first time every time i push the button and just a simple fill up every time i need to spend a fiver brimming the tank.

My CBT will expire this time next year though so next spring i plan on doing an intensive course to pass my full test and have look at a Lambretta.

What ever you get though, you'll have a lot of fun.

wild is the wind

Got a new job in the centre of Birmingham.  Toyed with the idea of getting a scooter to commute in when the weather was nice.....

So....

I look at what's for sale.  I think maybe a cheap 125.  Couple of grand gets a nice one.  Will do ,loads to the gallon.

BUT....  What about a 250?  Bit safer.  Better brakes.  Better acceleration. 

BUT...  If'm getting something bigger how about a pocket rocket 400cc track bike.  Will do 50 to the gallon.  Will get me home quicker.

BUT...  IfI'm getting a 400 I may as well go for a 500cc twin.  Easier in traffic.  More torque.  Can still do 60+ to the gallon.

BUT...  If I'm going up to 500cc then I may as well go for a 600cc bike.  You can find a CBR 600 with 10000 on the clock for 2 grand.  It'll do 165.  I could come home on the motorway. 

BUT... Wait a minute.  Autotrader has a ten year old Fireblade.  15000 on the clock.  2 grand.  Never seen rain.  Superbike phsychotic accelerating bad ass mother fucker.

ARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH...................

My name is Dave.  I am a bike-a-holic.  It's been twelve years since my last bike.   But I'm in recovery now and I'll keep coming to the meetings.

4 page Lambretta v Vespa article in this week's New European from our own Fulmine. Not read it yet but doesn't look shit so that's a start.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Was that ok Fulmine?

I've just bought one of the finest lambrettas I've ever seen... absolutely pristine showroom condition .. 1968 sx150.. it was actually a showpiece mounted on a wall in a wine bar... oil going back in it next week and she's getting kickstarted.. oh yes

scootay wrote:

I've just bought one of the finest lambrettas I've ever seen... absolutely pristine showroom condition .. 1968 sx150.. it was actually a showpiece mounted on a wall in a wine bar... oil going back in it next week and she's getting kickstarted.. oh yes

I'm fancying one of those Scomadis.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

Yeah they look mint ...don't know anything about them though

scootay wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

British made, modern mechanics, fast as fuck.

Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Are they on ten inch wheels? Fast as fuck on ten inch wheels could be lethal

Good read anyway. I'm a bit pissed so probably won't remember what I've read tomorrow.

scootay wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:
scootay wrote:

Are they on ten inch wheels? Fast as fuck on ten inch wheels could be lethal

12 I think and the 50 won't be but they do a 300 which I suspect will be.

Selling my GTV 250. People here drive like twats. Always on the phone, no indicating no looking...
I feel pretty confident of my own riding ability but had a big scare last week as I was about to get car doored, swerved to get out of the way and obviously almost got taken out by the car coming up on my left... Scared the shit out of me.

Time to invest it in a snow mobile smile

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sun 16 Jul 2017 5:36 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:

Selling my GTV 250. People here drive like twats. Always on the phone, no indicating no looking...
I feel pretty confident of my own riding ability but had a big scare last week as I was about to get car doored, swerved to get out of the way and obviously almost got taken out by the car coming up on my left... Scared the shit out of me.

Time to invest it in a snow mobile smile

Never heard of them - any good?

Are Samsung and Apple shitting it?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Harvest wrote:

Was that ok Fulmine?

Smashing, thank you.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.