Topic: Major on Radio 4

Very good interview, the bloke is easy to lampoon but he put in a good shift in my opinion.

Black Wednesday

The PIRA deal and support from Labour and the Liberals and opposition from his own benches.

Handing over a decent finacials to Saint Tony of Blair depite things being fucked when he took over.

Praise for New Labour spending on health, wishes he'd been in the position to do it himself.

Praise for Politicians of all stripes

Last edited by albert herbert hawkins (Wed 13 Aug 2014 9:34 am)

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Re: Major on Radio 4

"One last question. How will you be remembered by history?"

"I have no idea but the great comfort is I won't be here to find out"

big_smile

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Did he say what the deal was with Edwina?

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

gore wrote:

Did he say what the deal was with Edwina?

Radio 4, not TFI Friday so they didn't go anywhere near that. Interesting interview though, get if off iplayer if you can, sounds a fucking sight more reasonable than any other prime minister in my life time.

Hindsight is a wonderful way of reinventing yourself.

Black Wednesday - result of the whole currency pegging, the Maastricht treaty and destruction of the conservatives as he was a technocrat not a leader.

Hero of the Labour party and fucking inept.

But then what do you expect of a man who tucks his shirt in his undies

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

there is all that but then you still haven't listened to the interview have you?

No. But its his usual stuff - he does the Marr show a fair bit pushing the same sort of thing.

Shame he never did it when he had power, eh?

Thing is when I listen to Blair, Brown, Cameron, The daft brothers in waiting I'm reaching for the ammunition. Major this morning sounded like, well like a decent bloke who tried to do his job.

gore wrote:

No. But its his usual stuff - he does the Marr show a fair bit pushing the same sort of thing.

Shame he never did it when he had power, eh?

Budget Surplus? I know the reply is going to be painful but it's probably best that I get the kicking rather than Travis or YMOT.

I know he is called Mr Grey. But I think he has come out of politics with a better reputation that Tony Blair, who just ended up corrupt.

Also he did shed loads for the Northern Ireland thing, which I think Blair took all the credit. For the record I am not a tory.

I am just a common breed

under the arches wrote:

I know he is called Mr Grey. But I think he has come out of politics with a better reputation that Tony Blair, who just ended up corrupt.

Also he did shed loads for the Northern Ireland thing, which I think Blair took all the credit. For the record I am not a tory.

I believe the Ireland thing started under Thatcher in 86 but was going no where fast due to her giving the Hereford lot a hunting license post Brighton.

under the arches wrote:

Blair "I feel the hand of History on my shoulder" miss  Northern Ireland Mo fucking Mowlam. used to work with  Lucy Woods, my former CEO, who was very breathlass about knowing Mo when she worked for BT Northern Ireland. You do get to the point where you're tempted (or I was) to say, "look Lucy, I've worked with Kirk Douglass, now fuck off"

Last edited by albert herbert hawkins (Wed 13 Aug 2014 11:11 am)

Ha. Major went from being elected PM with the largest popular mandate upto that point to losing in a landslide. The economic recovery was by accident, the result of a general growth period in the world economy and being forced out of the EMU thing - which he took us into. He presided over turmoil, corruption and incompetence. Thats his legacy. Lucking out in a global boom that sorted out his fuck ups

As for Blair, well oddly despite his vilification, he led one of the most redistributive govts there's been. His own focus, like the rest of them  - look at Major's financial interests -  has always been about getting rich. There was a great part in Rawnsley's book 'servants of the people, published in 2001 about Blair obsessing about the fact his peers at the bar were earning 5-10 times more than he was.  He's making up for lost time. He also lost it when he got religion and the whole messiah complex. Like Major he got lucky in that he rode a global economic boom and got out before the crash.

Wonder how they'd have done having to sort out the mess others inherited.

Well Thatcher got the biggest mess but apparently she's needs double killing and the earth in which she's buried salted! I dunno, I guess for me Major's the only PM I've actually liked in all my life. He just seemed the most normal and in touch.

albert herbert hawkins wrote:

Well Thatcher got the biggest mess but apparently she's needs double killing and the earth in which she's buried salted! I dunno, I guess for me Major's the only PM I've actually liked in all my life. He just seemed the most normal and in touch.

I suppose it's all relative. The spitting image puppet was ace.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Djpekingman wrote:

The spitting image puppet was ace.

Got any peas Norma?

Ace as it was do you want the witch queen that was Thatcher, the bumbling incompetence of Wilson, Heath and Callaghan, or the the New Labour secret fascists of Blair and Brown? The current bloke is is relatively innocuous but he went to public school so he's educationally challenged.

Great story I was told by a London silk who knew Falconer, the Blairs and their social set way back. They'd meet up fairly regularly. Apparently the perceived wisdom was that it would be Cherie who'd go into politics. When Blair announced he was going to stand for Parliament the story goes that more than one of those present asked for which party?
Also tells a fantastic story about negotiating with Falconer over fees years later when said silk was head of the Criminal Bar Association.  And why he's never spoken to him since.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...