Topic: Leeds v Arsenal 1972 in the League

Every, modern fan boy who has read The Damned United and thinks it's historic should be forced to watch this. Billy and the team applauding the Arsenal double winning side onto the pitch. Presenting them with a commemorative tankard and then dispatching them 3 nil. Commentary describing Leeds as possibly the greatest club side of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhStPGirTNQ

Fascista, Communista, Tory Boy or Labourista, come and view the whole damn vista, om pom push

Re: Leeds v Arsenal 1972 in the League

But we weren't, we didn't win often enough and we didn't win the big one.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

gore wrote:

But we weren't, we didn't win often enough and we didn't win the big one.

True but it still gives you that 'fucking hell what a mess we are in now and I can't see any respite to it' feeling.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Funny one that for me. As how we are now seems the more natural state. The first season that I remember coherently was that 74-75 post championship after Revie had gone. I'd been going before that, but for some reason I only remember the odd game. And from that season on through the 70s, the overwhelming emotion at ER seemed top be one of disgruntled, moaning slow decline. I didn't go to home game during the Caspian/Risdale era, just aways and Europe so this last 10 years feels how it always was.

Great team of that era in a shit club. Fuck knows how Revie kept it together so long. But maybe the champions of unrealised ability?

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

The Leeds team that day was basically the same one that I was watching in 1968. Gore is right to wonder how such continuity was possible. I guess huge loyalty to Revie played a big part, but back then club loyalty in general meant much more, the transfer market was less feverish and there were fewer players of sufficient quality available to the best teams.