Topic: The Kop 1974

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Re: The Kop 1974

That first one sounds a bit like Monty Python's life of Brian at the beginning - every gap is filled with what sound like Brians mum saying you're a very naughty boy.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Good god. Their kids are south stand barmies. Christmas trees.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

So the "on on on" bit is a modern day remix to when the whites..

No dodgy Spurs songs, booooh!

snake hips

Think those songs were the same the country over. We were the Gelderd and other clubs were the Shed, North Bank etc....

That Heidi from Hell clip when I fast forwarded took me to the last game of the season at Cov, in `93, which I was at.

Our lot are on the pitch after Wallace made it 3-3, but at the end of the game I remember a few of their lot came on. They didn`t stay around long as I am sure a load more of us piled on.

It was yet another disgrace.

________________________________________________________________________________

That's true Zico, I think the only original song at Leeds (aside from the abusive ones) was the guttural Leeds, Leeds, Leeds at throw ins and corners. Don't remember the MOT thing much before mid-80s. All the trees used to do that 'walk on' as did everyone else.

Although I did like when the away goalie would run towards the Geldard and they's all start clapping him until he acknowledge them, when it would turn into a mass 'fuck off!!!!' and a surge towards him.

Her and the rest of them and I include the beret wearing twat were nightmares at away games. They looked so ridiculous that I don't think they ever got much grief as the local thought they were a comedy act, but fuck me were they ever gobby.

Last edited by gore (Wed 24 Sep 2014 6:04 am)

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

When the Kop was first built and about to be opened my old man was inspecting it. He fell and broke his leg. LOL

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Do you ever look at the pictures before they built the Gelderd and wonder how great it would have been if they'd left that and the whole Lowfields side, which seemed massive back then?

I went to a couple of european nights with my uncle, who had season tickets for the Lowfields Seats back then and it was a brilliant stand. The Gelderd took a fair bit of that away, but when they built the south stand they seemed to get rid of half the Lowfields as well. Shame.

I only join in with the goalie sledging.

They fall for it every time.

That and the old, wooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you shit bastard, arghh!

snake hips

T'Ultra

There's a famous song about Carlton Palmer that I drunkedly made up once at Selhurst Park. Still get royalties once a year.

Site stalwart.

Harvest wrote:

There's a famous song about Carlton Palmer that I drunkedly made up once at Selhurst Park. Still get royalties once a year.

Is it that one involving a farmer and a llama?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

No, you're thinking of Instant Karma.

Site stalwart.

Not seen this one before ..

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/03/05/article-2288458-18748854000005DC-995_964x628.jpg

Before they built it.. if it had been like that in the 80s...

http://www.wafll.com/wafll-gallery/download.php?attachid=289&id=59

...it would have been very empty.

Site stalwart.

Anyone ever go to the greyhound stadium on Elland Road. I remember it being there when I first went to games but never went.

Used to be a speedway stadium next to ER, plus ER itself and then the dog track all within a few hundred yards. Must have felt like the Olympic complex once, catering provided by United Fisheries.

Site stalwart.

Leeds had a speedway?..

http://www.defunctspeedway.co.uk/Leeds.htm

Harvest wrote:

Anyone ever go to the greyhound stadium on Elland Road. I remember it being there when I first went to games but never went.

Used to be a speedway stadium next to ER, plus ER itself and then the dog track all within a few hundred yards. Must have felt like the Olympic complex once, catering provided by United Fisheries.

Monday, Wednesday and Saturday night - my uncle drank his week away blowing his cash on crippled dags. They opened the bar for a couple of seasons late 70s early 80s, great place for spotting away fans coming down from the coach park. You could take the pie and peas in from the stall that used to be outside the supporters club. Used to be ace on boxing day morning meetings, when all the fellas took their kids out on to get away from the Mams,  Done the dogs and then the match a few times that way, although my old fella and most of my uncles would fuck off to Wetherby races as they hated football

That's bonkers isn't it, 3 venues there all on top of each oother.

Site stalwart.

Add in when Hunslet RL played there for a few seasons as well as the dogs

Bit off thread but just thinking about that Independent Travel I think they were called?? There was that book Scum Airways? Scum Airlines? All  Man Utd fans who ran European trips for us lot. Cheap flights, cheap travel to airport, cheap digs and all really well organised. Did a few trips with them, they were all rum fuckers.

First trip they picked us up in a mini bus outside East Stand, everyone trolleyed. 'This is weird', says the driver stood having a fag as we pile on, 'first time ever I've been here without getting chased all over or a broken nose' as he stroked his bent hooter.

Site stalwart.

Not old enough to remember dog place in match days but remember going to dogs with my mum and dad, remember the lights the tannoy, that rabbit flying round and the poor bloody muts never being able to catch it. Think my old man was trying to impress the wife. .50 e/w on some ropey dog, pie and pea supper. Spoilt she was.

My missus used to work in the Tote booths, at the dogs, as a 16yr old schoolie. Says it was a right laugh.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

I went to the dogs a few times with me dad and his mates quite a few times as a kid. Er every other week and the dogs every other month or summat like