Topic: First pub, and what is it now

The Racehorse, Newmarket Road, Cambridge, 1979. Light and lager. Full of youth, lounge bar with disco every Friday, public bar with pool table. Great crack. Became ill-advised Hoofers in the 80s with saddles for seats and blacked out windows, then a drive-thru McDonald's. Think its flats now, not been back for many years.

Re: First pub, and what is it now

Black Horse, Westgate Wakefield.

Still a pub but it's had a few near misses.

"We are The Fall"

Woodman Hotel, Otley Road. Very dark inside and had a lot of random books on shelves around the place.
And a framed picture of Noel Edmonds on one of them for some reason. Staff more than happy to serve snakebite and black to 14 year olds.  Served the rankest electric pump Whitbread bitter.
Was still a pub last time I drove past.  Became Woodies  a while back.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Thankfully still standing. Scores of the others I favoured aren't, crying shame.

Site stalwart.

Except a couple which were shit.

Site stalwart.

Guildford on the Headrow. Used to bunk out of school and hit the pool tables. In blazers and get served.

Now the Norvern Monkey, never been in it.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Penny Hill, next to Morrisons at Hunslet circa 1978.

Went back in last year (or this, can't remember). Nothing had changed. Still a shit tip and still those pissed up wankers who try to start a fight

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Coach & Horses, Commercial Street, Rothwell.  Now flats and India called Mirchiz and a Corals.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

The Dalesman, still a boozer

The Yorkist in Doncaster, for a drink prior to a Lurkers gig at The Mainline Club.  Now a shop.

"You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter"

Deer Park. I used to love that pub.

Staging Post. Walked in with a mate who had his dad's car keys and wallet with a crisp tenner in it.

'Brrrr, cold out there tonight landlord. Pint of your best bitter please. What do you want John?' 'Orange Juice please.'

First pint. Shaftsbury.

Last edited by Cuts (Wed 01 Apr 2015 10:32 am)

Late 80s, early 90s. One and only visit to The Staging Post. Got leathered before going to a party in a block of flats nearby.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

The Abbey in Newlay - was still there last time I looked. God knows how. Reputed to have a tunnel to Kirkstall abbey. Which must be some feat of engineering given that it's on the opposite side of the river.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Red Bear on Skinner Lane. Went with an Irish mate, his older  brothers  and  his dad. We were just 14 - "Get the boys a proper drink, there. Old enough now, so they are".
Felt proper grown up. ( Obviously  wasn't).

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Hightown Heights Working Mens Club

It's now The Brew House run by Partners Micro Brewery.  Not been in (220 miles is a bit of a way for a quick pint) but it's a local affair so I hope it does well

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

The Star, North Street, Keighley. 1996 aged 15.

I'm amazed they served me. The twats were well known every other week to serve you then take the pint off you after one sip and kick you out the back as the plod came in the front.

Currently called Muldoons. Doesn't look open on Google Maps Streetview.

Loose Lips wrote:

The Star, North Street, Keighley. 1996 aged 15.

I'm amazed they served me. The twats were well known every other week to serve you then take the pint off you after one sip and kick you out the back as the plod came in the front.

Currently called Muldoons. Doesn't look open on Google Maps Streetview.

I wouldn't have done. Being 15 in 1996 should be made a criminal offence. Young whippersnapper.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Ship in Stanley.  Now "Bar Stanley".  Not been in for years.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Djpekingman wrote:

The Abbey in Newlay - was still there last time I looked. God knows how. Reputed to have a tunnel to Kirkstall abbey. Which must be some feat of engineering given that it's on the opposite side of the river.

That's my local. It's ace. Go in Xmas eve and for quiz nights on a Sunday.

Tunnel from Irwin Arms to Billy Bremner's house.

Precinct in Leeds for the Jazz funk on a friday, Bowie + Roxy on a weds. Place has been shut for yonks.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Fifteen years old, The Lincoln Castle, the former ferry moored up on the Humber Estuary near the Bridge. Pint of Russell's Chestnut Mild, 68p. Alcoholic barman who could barely see the pumps or stand up straight. On a good night he even forgot to take your money. Got towed away and moored at Grimsby, various other ports, and then got scrapped, I believe.

68p? The loons for The Station marched on Tetley's when it went to 50p a pint.

LQ - Precinct, that's a real baptism of fire.

Last edited by Cuts (Wed 01 Apr 2015 7:22 pm)

Cuts wrote:

68p? The loons for The Station marched on Tetley's when it went to 50p a pint.

LQ - Precinct, that's a real baptism of fire.

My Dad told me this story about Halfway on Hessle Road. He went down on a Saturday night for a pint and there was a line of fishermen barring his way - "You're not going in there son, he's put his beer up a penny." The landlord stood looking at an empty pub for three days and nights before he finally buckled and put it back down. You wouldn't get that kind of unity now.

Every Friday, Bluebell, Market Place, a pint of mild is £1.25. Predictably, it's packed. I went in for a quick one last week at half twelve and it was like a darts match at the O2.