Re: First pub, and what is it now

Yes Cuts, prob why the dance floor, was designed boxing ring style... To be fair, I didn't see too much trouble on those paticular nights, though I heard it was pretty tasty other times.. My schoolmate Lawrie Lydens old man had it then.

Got more soul, than a sock with a hole.

Bird in Hand, in my little corner of South London. Still there, though I suspect my 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc are now "luxury flats"/Starbucks/etc.

Vodka and lime! Classic case of asking for what the bloke in front of me ordered. He was probably having a night out with his gran. I can taste it now. Lord above.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Cuts wrote:

Tunnel from Irwin Arms to Billy Bremner's house.

smile

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

First pint was at The Podger in Garforth.

First pint in town was at Harlequins in Queens Hotel

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

Bitter was 54p

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I grew up in a pub. First time I was pissed I was 5. Not a lie. It's true. And I was smoking tom thumbs nicked from the pub at break time when I was eight.

Every landlord knew me for miles around so any attempt at getting served was impossible unless I was with me dad and he okayed it with the landlord. I would walk in pubs with mates that I thought no one would know me but they always did and I was refused. I do remember going in to the oddefellows in shipley for a mates 16th. It was a new landlord and I figured I was safe. I got served and was over the moon. Then a copper came in, looked around, spotted me and ordered me out. Bastard. I think first time I got served though and stayed served all night was at Bradford uni watching the joboxers. I was 15

Royal Standard, Manningham Lane, Bradford. Went in 1977 - aged 13 - with my best mate at the time. Fantastic old Victorian pub that put on lots of very early punk bands. Now gone and replaced by a building housing an insurance company. Last I heard, the bar had been bought by a Japanese business man and was now somewhere in Tokyo.

Here's a painting of it:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/images/paintings/lmg/624x544/wyl_lmg_020_27_624x544.jpg

And a band playing there:

http://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/images/DRIVEPIC9small(72).jpg

This bloke's made a replica of the bar!

http://www.andythornton.com/en-UK/produ … ndard-bar-

http://www.andythornton.com/system/product_images/24312/original/ATVMBAD0101.?1424169641

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Art%2BAttacks/similarartists
http://www.stewarthomesociety.org/interviews/artattax.htm

¡No pasaran!

Lawrie Lydens

Pretty cool lad from what I remember. Friend of a friend. One of the first lads in Leeds to adopt that football look.

Last edited by Cuts (Thu 02 Apr 2015 2:50 am)

My memory is going. Could have sworn late 70s it was Thursday night was Jazz Funk in the Precinct. That was the spark with the Chapletown lot with their disco belts and trying to run the back bit.

Fridays was that late bar on the corner of boar lane and city square for Bowie and all things make up. Can never remember the name of the place.

First pint cost 26p for bitter, 28 for lager and lime or 24p for mild (old gimmers only).

Remember everyone going into shock at ten bob a pint and taking Ozzie docks when it hit a quid a pint down that there in about 80.

Last edited by gore (Thu 02 Apr 2015 8:07 am)

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

90Piesanhour wrote:

Royal Standard, Manningham Lane, Bradford. Went in 1977 - aged 13 - with my best mate at the time. Fantastic old Victorian pub that put on lots of very early punk bands. Now gone and replaced by a building housing an insurance company. Last I heard, the bar had been bought by a Japanese business man and was now somewhere in Tokyo.

Here's a painting of it:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/images/paintings/lmg/624x544/wyl_lmg_020_27_624x544.jpg

And a band playing there:

http://www.boredteenagers.co.uk/images/DRIVEPIC9small(72).jpg

This bloke's made a replica of the bar!

http://www.andythornton.com/en-UK/produ … ndard-bar-

http://www.andythornton.com/system/product_images/24312/original/ATVMBAD0101.?1424169641

My dad nearly bought the standard in 84. I viewed it with him while it was shut. The building next door was empty and looked like it would remain so. That's what put him off. Place had a lot of rats so he bought the Gladstone instead. He really wanted the standard and he would have turned that into the best pub in bradford. Eddie Starkey put him off because of the building next door saying it would never sell

Makes me think of Peter Sutcliffe that pub.

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Is the lead singer levitating?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Is the lead singer levitating? Or hanging?

gore wrote:

My memory is going. Could have sworn late 70s it was Thursday night was Jazz Funk in the Precinct. That was the spark with the Chapletown lot with their disco belts and trying to run the back bit.

Fridays was that late bar on the corner of boar lane and city square for Bowie and all things make up. Can never remember the name of the place.

First pint cost 26p for bitter, 28 for lager and lime or 24p for mild (old gimmers only).

Remember everyone going into shock at ten bob a pint and taking Ozzie docks when it hit a quid a pint down that there in about 80.

Thursday night in the Precinct was Bowie/Roxy night Gore.
Used to come over regularly with Strauss and the Bradford lot..good night in there.

Give it a rest though after seeing EC try to push a glass down a lads throat one night...normal form for him that though.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Think that was a bit later to be honest. Funny it was a decent pub, but everyone had a problem with Chapeltown running the place and putting it on others, then they got ran out. Then it turned to low life shit glassing cunts and bullying unless you were with back up.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Royal Standard, what a place! Turned up to do sound/lights for a band only to find 2 blokes knocking a wall down and Satan's Slaves(I think it was them, may have been one of the other smelly biker "clubs") having their AGM, during the sound check. Phoenix Nights-esque.
hmm

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

There was a place round the corner from the royal standard called Bensons.  It was also the bier Keller I think at the same time. The Satan slaves used to finish up in there en masse. They also drank in the spotted house on manningham lane. I used to love Bensons and never had any hassle from the slaves even though I was fully modded up at the time. Another good building that burnt down

Eccleshill branch of the Anny Rd Crew used to run rings round them slaves and other biker gangs. Three of them. Best dressed lads in Bradford. One of them unwittingly started the scruff look 12 years before 1980, and just rolled with it.

I went to to toe with their top lad. Some scando-viking called Gareth I think. He knew he was done when I pointed out that he embroidered his sleeveless.

Cutting for fun we were.

*walks with hands behind back*

Last edited by luxury_scruff (Fri 03 Apr 2015 5:54 pm)

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

Slaves used to sup in the Metropole. Never had any hassle from them. Don't know if its still there. Weird but ace boozer.

Last time I saw any Satan's Slaves insignia, three of them came out of a gig in Manchester and got in a Ford Mondeo

"We are The Fall"

scootay wrote:

There was a place round the corner from the royal standard called Bensons.  It was also the bier Keller I think at the same time. The Satan slaves used to finish up in there en masse. They also drank in the spotted house on manningham lane. I used to love Bensons and never had any hassle from the slaves even though I was fully modded up at the time. Another good building that burnt down

Bensons was indeed ace,formerly known as Gatsbys.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Young Marxist at Tescos wrote:

Last time I saw any Satan's Slaves insignia, three of them came out of a gig in Manchester and got in a Ford Mondeo

There;s fucking hundreds of 'em....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:
Young Marxist at Tescos wrote:

There;s fucking hundreds of 'em....

The ones round our way always seemed to be called Dennis and live with their Mam

I wonder what they do for a living? Can't all fix bikes run whores and pedal guns and drugs can they?

The Three Cups in Dover.

I was 15 so 1985.

I've never been back since.

It was a Shepherd Neame pub (although the photo suggests otherwise) and they had this lager called Hurlimans that everyone called loony.  I asked the barman for two pints of lager and he said 'Loony' and I said 'no just lager please'  and he said 'yeah but loony?' and I said 'no just
lager' - he smiled and served me.

I think you had to be there.

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/49/59/4495986_c7690d3a.jpg

Last edited by danpiesley (Thu 10 Dec 2015 8:23 pm)

Aim Low and miss...