Topic: Eggs "Any old how"

For the egg liberals out there. I'm a scrambled man myself although do like poached but still haven't perfected the skill to complete a restaurant class finish.

Re: Eggs "Any old how"

placidcasual wrote:

For the egg liberals out there. I'm a scrambled man myself although do like poached but still haven't perfected the skill to complete a restaurant class finish.

I've given up trying.  You can get silicone cups that you sit in water but I can't work the bastards.  Tried the vinegar and whirlpool method, egg everywhere.  As I am most likely to have them on hot buttered toast I resolve to never try to poach again and braising is best.

Scrambled are great though.  Make the kids eggy pittas of a weekend.  Nice with some kind of hot smoked fish flaked into it too.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Delia did a good egg poach, but involved simmering water in a frying pan.

Scrambled eggs with Grilled Craster kippers or smoked mackerel. Marvellous.

Last edited by placidcasual (Thu 11 Dec 2014 3:12 pm)

Frying pan with water just past the egg, simmer gently until yolk firmness is visually confirmed. Nil snottage, maximum golden yolk burstage.

Don't let Gore see this thread or he'll send the soldiers in to kettle us.

Last edited by Rudi (Thu 11 Dec 2014 3:45 pm)

placidcasual wrote:

It's easy. If you doing more than one [you can do one right?] you do one at a time, par poach then drop into ice or iced water. When every bugger finally gets up for breakfast, large flatish pan of simmering salted water, pop 'em all in for a minute or 90 seconds and viola, Bob's the bloke you all thought was likely a nonce. Perfect poached eggs en masse.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Deep pan of boiling water with splash of vinegar, turn off gas, stir water to make a whirlpool, carefully crack and drop in eggs - can do up to 4 at a time. Leave for 4 mins - perfecto poached eggs.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Mike Jones wrote:

Deep pan of boiling water with splash of vinegar, turn off gas, stir water to make a whirlpool, carefully crack and drop in eggs - can do up to 4 at a time. Leave for 4 mins - perfecto poached eggs.

This is the important bit - too much bubbling means the white just breaks up and you have have cum soup

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Eggzactly!

Rudi wrote:

Frying pan with water just past the egg, simmer gently until yolk firmness is visually confirmed. Nil snottage, maximum golden yolk burstage.

Don't let Gore see this thread or he'll send the soldiers in to kettle us.

Scrambled eggs - with just melted unsalted butter added (French ideally) and stirred slowly to the point its just clotted together with masses of black pepper is a my very favourite way to eat eggs in the whole world.

Smoked salmon or some Unearthed Tomatoes and a big mug of very strong black coffee and I am in heaven.

Its you arty farty wallahs trying to go all Delia on a specific point of egg thats bang out of order.

Last edited by gore (Thu 11 Dec 2014 5:42 pm)

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Arty Farty Wallahs?

Sorry, what were those tomatoes again?

Rudi wrote:

Arty Farty Wallahs?

Sorry, what were those tomatoes again?

About £2.50

http://www.discoverunearthed.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/unearthed-slow-roasted-sun-drenched-tomatoes_2.jpg

Thanks for the capitalisation there, prof.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Arty Fatty more like

Mol wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

It's easy. If you doing more than one [you can do one right?] you do one at a time, par poach then drop into ice or iced water. When every bugger finally gets up for breakfast, large flatish pan of simmering salted water, pop 'em all in for a minute or 90 seconds and viola, Bob's the bloke you all thought was likely a nonce. Perfect poached eggs en masse.

I do them with the vinegar or a la Delia, when you bring a pan or water up to boil, put eggs in and leave for ten minutes. Can do 3 or 4 at a time. Still not like a restaurant.

How do you poach your egg?

Frying pan brimmed with simmering only salted water with half a cup of white vinegar, two eggs already cracked into two cups, four at a push, slide in at the same time, thirty seconds to stabilise then remove from the heat immediately and cover. Three more minutes like that then remove to ice water as above, to eat immediately add another minute etc. Flat pan is the key as is withdrawing the heat. So you're actually poaching not boiling them. Idiot proof, I've tested it many times.

Last edited by Mol (Thu 11 Dec 2014 6:14 pm)

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

Edited above. No whisking needed though.

Last edited by Mol (Thu 11 Dec 2014 6:15 pm)

Eggs Benedict.

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Soft-boiled with wholewheat soldiers

Fucking amateurs.

Poach eggs in clingfilm. Tear off a square of clingfilm break an egg carefully into it and form a parcel around it. Twist the end and place it in a pan of boiling water. Bend the twisted end over the rim of the pan. After the required time remove and unwrap. You're left with perfectly shaped eggs. Usually do them in pairs. Brown bread, brown sauce.

https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607996910841036977&pid=15.1&P=0

Last edited by Misura (Thu 11 Dec 2014 9:45 pm)

Well if yer going all student-like technical, I sometimes use one of these in a microwave - sacrilege I know, but works

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRX2GXPd1KliAhv8ITWnjQlP6rC1GgfdpRyOxCXx8UdjkIzW2M5

Misura wrote:

Fucking amateurs.

Poach eggs in clingfilm. Tear off a square of clingfilm break an egg carefully into it and form a parcel around it. Twist the end and place it in a pan of boiling water. Bend the twisted end over the rim of the pan. After the required time remove and unwrap. You're left with perfectly shaped eggs. Usually do them in pairs. Brown bread, brown sauce.

Shouldn't this picture be on the vasectomy thread?

Misura wrote:

Fucking amateurs.

Lot of fucking about. What's wrong with an 'imperfect' egg? You'll be going to that cereal cafe next....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Misura wrote:

Fucking amateurs.

I'm liking that.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Lot of fucking about. What's wrong with an 'imperfect' egg? You'll be going to that cereal cafe next....

They're not perfect. big_smile

I'm pushing the boundaries of food preperation, i understand not everyone will come with me.

Misura wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:

They're not perfect. big_smile

I'm pushing the boundaries of food preperation, i understand not everyone will come with me.

Bit disappointing there's no nitrogen to create the elegant structure.

I had a lovely toast, garlic mushrooms, poached egg & hollandaise sauce starter this evening. At a place, but I'll repeat it at home. Lovely.