Topic: Old Photos of Leeds

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/658554bfd4a1b59ae36cbfcf3580b00a_zps3d9d81ab.jpg

Re: Old Photos of Leeds

Look at the colour of the town hall.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KOJamTWlbho/U4oPN0RtiiI/AAAAAAAApNc/kMpboAg-Jzc/s1600/Britain+from+Above+(2).jpeg

"WE BUY OWT"

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/f3a0b3f04b2632786566e4daa4b3b54b_zpsc6890ea6.jpg

Billy's was a rocker billy clothes shop from memory.

Isn't that the Civic Hall?

Last edited by Cuts (Sat 14 Mar 2015 4:29 pm)

The town hall is the soot black thing to the left. The sandblasted it black to its stone colour early 70s. My school is just a bit up from there up George St. you can see what look like a tennis court, but is two playgrounds.

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Burtons and York rd

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/51388641e4b0fcbdce63bf1b/t/52528f01e4b0b9b7feb12dc8/1381142280413/York+Road+Star+Cinema.jpg?format=1500w

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

Billys heyday was mid to late 80's as I recall  - the whole Psychobilly/ Big Audio Dynamite/ Blizt Kids  look. I think FJ knows the lad who ran it fairly well

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Sat 14 Mar 2015 6:26 pm)

Take off hosers ...

My dad worked there. Said he went into one of the factory floors as a spotty kid with "rowdie yates" written on the back of his overalls. Said he soon took it off after the abuse he got. Loads of stories of the blokes and their tall tales and yarns about the war and the like.

Toronto Ted wrote:

Billys heyday was mid to late 80's as I recall  - the whole Psychobilly/ Big Audio Dynamite/ Blizt Kids  look. I think FJ knows the lad who ran it fairly well

I liked that look. I had some stf 501's obligatory MA1 waxy docs and the like. Started getting into pubs and clubs dressed like that rather than a spotty wanabee football urchin.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3576/3529581438_f1ec0e0d38_z.jpg?zz=1

Ah, the old homestead.......pre flats and tramway being filled in.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

As an out of towner my memories of visiting Leeds in the 70s and 80s was that they were always knocking something old down. Seemed to go on forever. Must have been so much lost.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Billy's and Sprite 58. I remember the lads that ran them went to Downbeat.
You went to City Gore?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Harvest wrote:

As an out of towner my memories of visiting Leeds in the 70s and 80s was that they were always knocking something old down. Seemed to go on forever. Must have been so much lost.

Mostly slums. 2 miles in any direction out from the centre and it was a shithole. They started slum clearances in the 1920s, Gipton was a relocation from Burmantofts which had been a relocation for the Micks off the bank.

Leeds went from 20,000 to 300,000 in 40 years so between 1830 and 1870 - as did a lot of Northern cities, so aside from a bit of Georgian round Park Sq, stuff in the centre its was all Victorian worker back to backs - apart from bigger stuff up Headingly and Chapeltown Rd.

The industrial heritage was built on terrible conditions for many, there were still having Cholera outbreaks in the 1920s in Leeds.

Travis Bickle wrote:

Billy's and Sprite 58. I remember the lads that ran them went to Downbeat.
You went to City Gore?

Was sent there by me Mam, yes. Just when it converted to a Comp. Bit odd going there during the week and scrubs on a Saturday. Funny place.

I'm thinking more between train station and Corn Exchange then further out towards that Salem church place and round there. Just always seemed to be ripping something down.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Under a tenner and Under a Fiver were down that way. Good spot ford cords and US Top stretch jeans. At one point there was a martial arts shop on that stretch. Me and my Mam, I was about 10 were on the 82 going home and some lad was stood outside the shop waving a sword around with the cops held at bay. Another cop was directing traffic. I was fascinated. Some oldies behind us were oohing and arhing, 'I wonder where he got that from?'

Placid you dress like that next time your over, we're not off drinking in Chelsea.' I have my chinos ready.

Combat Sports. Sold a great range of dangerously convincing imitation handguns. And ninja stars. There was the comic shop with the 'adult' section at the back. And a handwritten sign that reminded patrons that it wasn't a 'fucking library'.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Ha ha! .. Could be a Leeds contingent over in July also.

They still have trams like that in Toronto ...

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:

They still have trams like that in Toronto ...

"Trolley bus" funny name

placidcasual wrote:

"WE BUY OWT"

http://i1155.photobucket.com/albums/p554/placid_casual1/f3a0b3f04b2632786566e4daa4b3b54b_zpsc6890ea6.jpg

Billy's was a rocker billy clothes shop from memory.

Scary thing is that's not that long ago. Car puts at least 86. I used to spend loads of time mooching around the south bank for a college project. There were loads of yards and old factories, and I mean pre Victorian and earlier factories and workshops, docks and loading bays over the navy. Most have gone. The rest are bijoux apartments. I remember the townhall being black - and the queens hotel. Thought it was later than early 70s when they cleaned it up. I remember old streets like coronation street between the Merrion and the head row. Fuck I remember the merrion and the inner ring going up. My nan used to live in a basement flat on Blenheim square, just off Blackman lane. Used to go meet her from her work at brays bakery. Nearest she ever came to bread. Fucking evil she was. Right temper on her. Never found out the truth about my mums dad. She took that secret to her grave. Allegedly an airman killed in early days of wwii. Born out of wedlock my mother, inherited my Nan's temper and the same attitude to fidelity.

Last edited by Djpekingman (Sun 15 Mar 2015 11:34 am)

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Poulson made it what it became.

The International Pool being 6 inches too short for olympic standard summing up Leeds in the 60s and 70s.

Panarama did a documentary on him. Don't remember much to be honest. I remember going to the top board at the Olympics and thinking sod that and climbing back down. Kid a few minutes later dived off and lost his trunks. I remember going swimming been fraught with danger, older kids knacking younger kids. Someone nicked my goggles when I was about 11. They were violent times looking back. But oh those Seabrook crisps.
Don't remember Merrion going up. I remember the roads where St Johns is now, sex shop that some of the girls in high school used to buy poppers in. They gave me a right headache.
There's some great photos on that Leodis data base but it's a bit of a clunky site

Last edited by Cuts (Sun 15 Mar 2015 9:57 pm)

There, the Rollarena on Kirkstall Rd - you had to pick your times at both. Same if you did the Sat Matinee at the ABC or the Regent (on Torre Rd) or the Shaftsbury- only one where we were 'safe' to pick on everyone else. big_smile

That whole Boar Lane run was just like a fucking Star Wars bar day or evening out. Some real dregs and low lives on the make.

That boar lane pic reminds me of lower east side or canal street.