Re: Old Photos of Leeds

I remember being at leeds pool as a kid, probably aged around ten or so. I couldn't believe how high the board was compared to shipley baths.  My dad climbed to the top board. He was just off for a look. When he was stood at the top an attendant blew a whistle. This meant no one on the boards below could dive until the fella on the top did. Fair play to me dad, he looked a bit shocked but he dived in.

Last edited by scootay (Sun 15 Mar 2015 7:29 pm)

Cuts wrote:

I remember going to the top board at the Opympics and thinking sod that and climbing back down. Kid a few monutes later dived off and lost his trunks.

How much therapy do you reckon he's had down the years?

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

I seem to remember handing your clothes into the wire baskets and they hoisted them away on some kind of elaborate system of ropes, levers and pulleys.

Harvest wrote:
Cuts wrote:

I remember going to the top board at the Opympics and thinking sod that and climbing back down. Kid a few monutes later dived off and lost his trunks.

How much therapy do you reckon he's had down the years?

Tom Daley got a semi on just reading that.

https://books.google.com/books?id=PhUcL … mp;f=false

That's me grandad cleaning Thornton's clock.

Photo must have been taken from, what is now, Halfrauds car park.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5215/5482872072_95ff784374_z.jpg

formerly -
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/60/63/1606324_5bc52961.jpg

My Uncle Billy and the rest of the family n'er do wells must have had shares in that place...

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

My Grandad was brought up in Leeds in the 1920s. When I was a young kid playing out he always said "be home before dark or else The Town Hall Lions will come and get you". It turned out his Mum used to say the same thing to him all those years ago.
Years later he was in a nursing home really poorly and with dementia, I had gone to see him one Sunday afternoon, you could barely get a word out of him and I don't think he really knew who I was. I just sat there holding his hand and talking about the old days trying to spark a response,  outside the steetlights came on. He sat upright, his eyes seemed to come to life, he squeezed my hand and for the first time in months called me by my first name. He then said "get yourself off home or else The Lions will be after you".
Two days later he passed away in his sleep, they were the last words he ever said to me.
A Great old fella, they don't make 'em like that anymore.
http://www.leodis.net/discovery/images/2003611_758824647.jpg

That's a good story.

Not photos, but one or two decent oil paintings of Leeds by John Atkinson Grimshaw.

https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/musm/Pages … light.aspx

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

Mitaman wrote:

Not photos, but one or two decent oil paintings of Leeds by John Atkinson Grimshaw.

https://www.harrogate.gov.uk/musm/Pages … light.aspx

Fantastic paintings. The Leeds bridge, the remains of those warehouses and their loading cranes were still there early 80's.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

John Atkinson Grimshaw.

His stuff is great.

Anyone a member of the Leedsbook site on Facebook. Great for photos. I'm making a right collection up.

Thing is the people who created the group have been subjected to threats and hate mail (by people in their 50's and 60's!!!!) and have just today made it a secret site!!! Can't get on it now. Gutted.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

heyho wrote:

Anyone a member of the Leedsbook site on Facebook. Great for photos. I'm making a right collection up.

Thing is the people who created the group have been subjected to threats and hate mail (by people in their 50's and 60's!!!!) and have just today made it a secret site!!! Can't get on it now. Gutted.

How does that work then? Is the administrartor a particularly outspoken photo collector/ exhibitor? i.e. how the hell did it get to that?

'When you become a grown up, people stop asking you what your favourite dinosaur is....They don't even care.'

It was over pronunciation of the word 'curry'.

North Leeds lot said Currhey?

It gets better. A new group has emerged from the ashes of Leedsbook called Leedsbook Leader Exposed.

This was the opening statement from the new group:

So, for the benefit of those of us that have come in late and are sitting at the back scratching our heads and trying to figure out what has gone on, the out-of-the-blue closure of the very popular leedsbook site due to bullying, trolling and abuse of the owner is not what it seems? The owner is not a helpless and ill victim, but is, in fact, someone with multiple identities who sends abusive and racist personal messages, steals other people's identities and invents death threats against himself? Or is this site an example of the malicious trolling that he was referring to? But why would a site of photos and memories attract so many trolls anyway?! A quick summary would be very helpful, please.

'I could have been someone'
"Well so could anyone"

Send them a mail saying you'd be happy to join the new group only if they stop beginning sentences with 'So'.

Cuts wrote:

North Leeds lot said Currhey?

In West Park we simply refused to recognise the culinary 'bastard' that was 'curry', born as it was of an Imperialist and Colonial desire to dilute a shining example of indigenous culture in order to pander to the conservative  English palate..... wink

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

I'm almost tempted to start a facebook account just to join in. Start an expat branch. Could be Placid. No coincidence he started this thread around the time it all kicked off.

No East Leeds wallers are telling me how to say Curry.

I was only a member of that page for 2 days and its shut down. Didnt even get tome to smug em off.

Last edited by placidcasual (Wed 18 Mar 2015 8:42 pm)

placidcasual wrote:

Forgive him, not only is he from Upper Cas - but he should realise that North leeds only eat Tikka Massala to colour coordinate with the tan

"In the end, society is defined not only by what we create, but also by what we refuse to destroy."

gore wrote:
placidcasual wrote:

Forgive him, not only is he from Upper Cas - but he should realise that North leeds only eat Tikka Massala to colour coordinate with the tan

Not unless it's in an Otto Lenghi book.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/1162622@N20/pool/

Unbelievable the number of them that have gone. I wouldn't recognise the place. How do you give directions? Turn left where the cherry tree used to be?

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality