Topic: Taxi

Funny as fuck and makes me slightly sad, maybe it's the Bob James theme tune that get's me. My parents loved this show, this MASH and Soap, still very, very, good

Last edited by king of the slums (Fri 17 Apr 2015 11:52 pm)

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

Re: Taxi

On in our house as kids. Danny Devito was class.

Have you seen Man on the Moon?  Jim Carrey playing Andy Kaufman?  Another great example of comics blowing up the acting rule book.  Ignored by the Academy because he did knob jokes once.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

At the side of dross such as friends this was comedic genius. At the side of porridge it was dross.

Last edited by Djpekingman (Sat 18 Apr 2015 8:21 am)

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Loved Taxi especially Revd Jim. The melancholy theme tune, the NY accents, BBC1 midweek. Used to like Rhoda too, that was screened later at night.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Mum liked Rhoda and remember it well.

Just piled through series 3 of Taxi and it's ace, really very good.

A simple city boy with wild grown country tastes

Great theme tune.  Up there with Hill Street Blues but not quite.

My old man (a cabbie) used to look like Alex, then like Howard Wilkinson.

king of the slums wrote:

Mum liked Rhoda and remember it well.

Just piled through series 3 of Taxi and it's ace, really very good.

Taxi was good. My mum liked Rhoda too, it was worth watching for Carlton the doorman.

________________________________________________________________________________

Not many comedies were as good as Porridge.

Cuts wrote:

Not many comedies were as good as Porridge.

Go on then, been a while.

MEDICAL OFFICER: Suffer from any illnesses?
FLETCHER: Bad feet.
MEDICAL OFFICER: Paid a recent visit to a doctor or hospital?
FLETCHER: Only for my bad feet.
MEDICAL OFFICER: Are you now or have you been at any time a practising homosexual?
FLETCHER: With these feet? Who’d want me?
=============================================================
FLETCHER: Miss Lonelyloins here, lovelorn Lennie, he wants to know whether the BBC plays prisoners’ requests?
MACKAY: No. The answer to that is no, on the grounds that is caused embarrassment.
LENNIE: Embarrassment?
MACKAY: To the prisoners’ families. The family might have excused his absence by telling the neighbours that the felon in question was abroad, or working on a North Sea oil rig.
LENNIE: Oh I see.
MACKAY: No doubt your wife, Fletcher, has told your friends that you’re on a five-year safari.
He laughs
FLETCHER: (Reading paper) No, no. She tells them I’m doing missionary work in Scotland.
FLETCHER: …and he’s only commandeered our ping-pong table for your bleeding mess.
BARROWCLOUGH: Only until our billiard table’s been recovered.
FLETCHER: Oh yes, well…
BARROWCLOUGH: Some prisoner certainly tampered with it.
FLETCHER: Can you prove that?
BARROWCLOUGH: We can at least surmise it. When Nosher Garrett went over the wall he was picked up in Blackpool wearing a green baize suit.
FLETCHER: I had a friend once – haven’t told you this before, have I? He was a light-heavy. Good strong boy. Won a few fights. Suddenly thought he was the bee’s knees. Fast cars, easy women. Classic story of too much, too soon. He just blew up. He got into debt and ended up in one of those travelling booths. Four fights a night, seven nights a week. Well the body can’t take that punishment. His brain went soft, his reflexes went. You know – punchy. Just became like a vegetable – an incoherent non-thinking zombie.
MACKAY: What became of him?
FLETCHER: He joined the prison service as a Warder. Doing very well.
MACKAY: Brawling in the yard.
LENNIE: Weren’t brawling, sir.
JARVIS: Just fooling around. Playful high spirits, sir.
LENNIE: We were just re-enacting a big moment from last Sunday’s football on the telly. The bit where Peter Shilton dived at Charlie George’s feet.
MACKAY: I don’t recall Charlie George smashing a dustbin lid over Peter Shilton’s skull. Not even in the action replay.
VENABLES: Now to the business in hand. I have always found Christmas to be a very difficult time.
MACKAY: Yes, sir. So open to abuse. Contraband, bartering, smuggling. There isn’t a Christmas cake comes inside that isn’t laced with marijuana.
VENABLES: What are we doing about that?
MACKAY: I’ve taken precautions, sir. I’ve put Mr.Barrowclough on to sampling all food parcels.
VENABLES: Has he anything to report?
MACKAY: He’s still too stoned to tell me, sir.

I remember going to see the Porridge film at the cinema, I couldn't have been too old, and having this massive giggling fit when one of the inmates talks about an "armadilldo". Then I had really bad hiccups. Must have pissed everyone off no end.

Trying to type "armadilldo" with predictive text on. That's 10 minutes of my life I'm not getting back (though it's now a saved word, so hopefully will turn up as an option while I'm furiously typing some angry email about, um, cruelty to armadillos, or something).

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Harvest wrote:

FLETCHER: I had a friend once – haven’t told you this before, have I? He was a light-heavy. Good strong boy. Won a few fights. Suddenly thought he was the bee’s knees. Fast cars, easy women. Classic story of too much, too soon. He just blew up. He got into debt and ended up in one of those travelling booths. Four fights a night, seven nights a week. Well the body can’t take that punishment. His brain went soft, his reflexes went. You know – punchy. Just became like a vegetable – an incoherent non-thinking zombie.
MACKAY: What became of him?
FLETCHER: He joined the prison service as a Warder

Literally just been on. Channel 110.

You want a Bath Oliver? You got a bath in 'ere 'an all?

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

3 of the 4 writers on Taxi worked on Rhoda.  And the Mary Tyler Moore show.  That's not a bad comedy pedigree

Eating tofu and hating it.

Remember the sets which were pretty much the same?  Kate and Ally was the same set as Mork and Mindy.    Bless this House, Reggie Perrin, No Place Like Home, pretty much identical.  Must have been some right idle bastard set designers in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 20 Apr 2015 10:38 am)

Rhoda makes me think of staying up late......'this is Carlton your doorman'

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Soap and Benson, I remember them as been good. Might not have been. Cheers stands up well, also Fraiser. Seinfeld though is, in my opinion, head and shoulders above all other American comedies. It took me a while to get into to start as I dismissed it as just another TV comedy but it crept up on me and I watched it religiously for years. Repeats are sindicated so there's two or three on an evening and a further 2 from 11pm to midnight each week night. Currentley rewatching it with my 13 year old daughter who loves it. Surely the measure of comic genius is that even though you know what's coming you still laugh? If so, Seinfeld passes the test.

Off the top of my head I'd list these as my top 5.

Rising Damp
Porridge
Father Ted
Seinfeld
Fawlty Towers

Curb Your Enthusiasm you car wash cunts.

Harvest wrote:

Can't get into that at all.

Harvest wrote:

I watched it all a few years ago but I started to get uncomfortable with all the fucking situations he was getting into.  I know that's where the comedy lies but improv only works so well up to a point.  The cast were supremely talented but I don't know, it lost me after a while.  I ended up thinking that it must be a hideous existence to live where they did and how they lived.   

Porridge is superb and remains so.
Fawlty Towers has dated a bit.   
Rising Damp was very well written but Rossiter could be hard to watch sometimes, too nervous.  I actually think he was better in my namesake.  A classic.
I really likes Butterflies too, not an obvious one but very understated.  Geoffrey Palmer is always good.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Mon 20 Apr 2015 9:34 pm)

Recent comedies that might be classics?

Still Game (Scottish sitcom about a load of pensioners in a Glasgow slum)

Inbetweeners

Lead Balloon (Jack Dee)

Black Books

Not seen any of those.

Rossiter could be hard to watch sometimes, too nervous

Essential part of the character I'd say.

Cuts wrote:

Not seen any of those.

Rossiter could be hard to watch sometimes, too nervous

Essential part of the character I'd say.

I know, and it's a fantastically written piece, especially as it takes place largely in three room sand a stairwell. 

You should check out Queenie's Castle on You Tube.  Set in Quarry Hill flats in early 70's.  A stunning Diana Dors, Roy Evans off Eastenders, Barrie Rutter, Our Judd off Kes (not a comedy natural) , Lynne Perrie and Alf Roberts who must have survived getting wanged off that car park in Get Carter.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/queeni … /episodes/

On the old yank stuff - Gary Shandling & Rosanna