Topic: Boxing

In it's present form should be banned, I will expand later when I have time but I don't feel it can be justified as a sport anymore.

That's an about turn for me.

Re: Boxing

I'm intregued

I remember predictions that that MMA or more specifically the UFC would overtake boxing. Still love boxing but the belt/title aspect is a bit of a joke now. It was the WBO that did it for me.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

In Rugby and American Football they are picking up and acting on research that suggests concussions have to be taken very seriously and that individuals with concussion shouldn't do anything for a decent period of time, not even run, a secondary bang at this point can have serious repercussions immediately but beyond that almost certainly has consequences in the long term.

Given that I don't think boxing in it's current form can be justified, it's too brutal and I don't think the boxer's choice argument is sufficient anymore. More is known about head injuries and for an industry to be built around people causing lasting injury to one another isn't right. In rugby it's a by product, in boxing it's the prime goal.

If two people want to fight that's one thing with but everything that is built up around it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, the spectators, the money, the corner men, the tv, the whole business around the fight is immoral.

It won't be the same but boxing needs sanitising.

It would only go semi underground and there would be less safety provision.   It's a fundamental thing and it will never go away banned or no.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

It's my favourite sport by miles

Football has given me brain damage. And that's just from watching Leeds.

How do we rank whopper quotient by sport?

Football's got to be up there, with boxing cheek by jowl.

Cricket and Union higher, naturellement. Darts up there. Racey and Showadywaddy not IOC accreditted.

Least whopperish sport?

He’s walked back to his youth and hymned the young man he was with knowing affection, despite the rain of bitter knowledge manhood has inevitably brought him.

luxury_scruff wrote:

How do we rank whopper quotient by sport?

Football's got to be up there, with boxing cheek by jowl.

Cricket and Union higher, naturellement. Darts up there. Racey and Showadywaddy not IOC accreditted.

Least whopperish sport?

Fell running

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

No hype. No money. No TV. No corporate. No 'all the gear no idea' contingent. No celeb exponents. No radio phone-in. Like I said, fell running....

Good call. I was going to go with Rugby league but then you do get Robbie Savage commenting from time to time. Ice Hockey seems to be the North American equivalent.

Bowls.  Men in flat caps with pipes and the occasional chubby social misfit 20 something.  World headquarters in Coatbridge.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

To me if you want to step between the ropes its your choice and your a better man than me.

Had a whopping concussion playing Rugby League. Got tackled from both sides and think I banged my head on the deck. To this day can't remember and it was near on 15 years ago. Played the ball and was all over the place. 2 plays later there was a scrum I was packing down with the other team. They pretty much walked me off, burst my eardrum and took me 8 weeks to get my short term memory back.

I still played when I felt right.

All about personal choice for me if you want someone to hit you then you know what your getting into.

Smutty's right it has no place in a decent civilized society but at its  best no sport comes close.

Ward v Gatti round 9, sport at its absolute peak.

Young men will always want to fight.

I'm no connoisseur of the sweet science and I know that the fight had an awful outcome, but I find benn v. McClellan captivating. Another fight that sticks in the memory is a johnny tapia one.

"To tell you the truth, a lot of the younger lads don't care about the FA Cup, they think it's just something your Grandparents talk about. They'd rather we got knocked out." Trevor Davies - Streatham Rovers Football Club

Misura wrote:

Young men will always want to fight.

I'm no connoisseur of the sweet science and I know that the fight had an awful outcome, but I find benn v. McClellan captivating. Another fight that sticks in the memory is a johnny tapia one.

If you haven't read it already Tapia's book is well worth  a go.  He had some life.

Boxing has given so much to people's lives that would have been different. Loads of fighters were wayward kids on a path to God knows where. It's a way out of a shit life for many. A sport that gives you discipline and pride. Young men fighting will always happen. It has its obvious dangers but that's probably half the pull. Imagine what tyson would have ended up doing without boxing? Mugging people at ten years of age.  Him turning to boxing probably saved a few lives including his own.  All sports have cunts. Too many titles have ruined it but it's still the ultimate sport for me. And if you don't wanna watch it then don't watch it. It's pretty simple. Jockeys put themselves at risk every race. Doesn't matter if your opponent is a human or a fence. You know what you're getting in to.

I still feel that it's been downgraded anyway.  It hardly gets any press as a sport.  Only the big fights make the papers. When I was growing up we knew every British title holder at domestic level. Someone wins the British title now it doesn't make any paper or the bbc red button. Some obscure sport result might be there but not boxing

Horse racing not a fair comparison, the point of boxing is to inflict brain damage on your opponent, that's a likely long term outcome.

It needs sanitising.

We don't live in a civilized society.

The point of boxing is not to inflict brain damage on your opponent. That's a load of nonsense. Sometime pre fight it boils over and occasionally they have intent. Boxing is just about hitting and not being hit. Rabbit punches are banned and most shots are aimed at the chin. I understand it can be brutal. My point with horse racing is valid. You know it's a risk getting on that saddle. It's a risk running on a rugby field and a risk climbing the north face. Boxing doesn't have as many casualties as you are led to believe. Fair enough you've gone off it and fair enough you want it sanitised. Maybe that's just getting old. The fight leaves us all and we calm down a lot. Sanitised boxing is not for me. It's safe enough as it is. There will always be hurt involved and sometimes that one shot is so cruel ala eubank Watson.  When it's sustained punishment like mclellan and Benn. That's the referees fault. The referee needs to be the ultimate professional. He's up close and can see what's going on. It's his job to protect the fighters. Other than the one huge devastating blow, most damage is caused by a sustained beating. When a fighter is past 7 rounds, not one won and is taking too much punishment,  a decision should be made. Other than that just leave it alone. It's two consenting adults.

I've just bbc red button on or teletext as I still call it. Page 300, sporting headlines. No mention of Britain Martin Murray s fight for the world title or Anthony crolla. It doesn't and never has had its own heading,  it's just in other sport headlines occasionally.

And alvarez hopefully taking on ggg.

Be good if it happens but only see one winner GGG.
Murray v Abrahams in Germany? KO for the draw.

Scootay, injuries in other sports happen but they are not the prime objective of the sport. Most boxers aim for the chin with the intention of putting someone on their arse, to spark them out, to turn their legs to jelly, more information has emerged in recent times about the consequences of concussion both immediately after suffering one and in the long term, you cannot separate the expressed intent to land one flush on the chin from it's repercussions.

I have in the past had no objection to boxing even the horror of what happened to Watson, Mclelland(?) and Johnny Owen didn't put me off, it's the realisation of the impact of repeated concussions that have made me feel I would be wrong to take pleasure in watching two poorly educated wretches who's only hope in life was boxing, beat the  shit out of each other for my entertainment.

scootay wrote:

The point of boxing is not to inflict brain damage on your opponent. That's a load of nonsense. Sometime pre fight it boils over and occasionally they have intent. Boxing is just about hitting and not being hit. Rabbit punches are banned and most shots are aimed at the chin. I understand it can be brutal. My point with horse racing is valid. You know it's a risk getting on that saddle. It's a risk running on a rugby field and a risk climbing the north face. Boxing doesn't have as many casualties as you are led to believe. Fair enough you've gone off it and fair enough you want it sanitised. Maybe that's just getting old. The fight leaves us all and we calm down a lot. Sanitised boxing is not for me. It's safe enough as it is. There will always be hurt involved and sometimes that one shot is so cruel ala eubank Watson.  When it's sustained punishment like mclellan and Benn. That's the referees fault. The referee needs to be the ultimate professional. He's up close and can see what's going on. It's his job to protect the fighters. Other than the one huge devastating blow, most damage is caused by a sustained beating. When a fighter is past 7 rounds, not one won and is taking too much punishment,  a decision should be made. Other than that just leave it alone. It's two consenting adults.

Tis true but for me the greatest exponent of that is Floyd Mayweather Jr and his recent fights have been quite dull.  The referee's job to protect can get quite contentious as well , I remember seeing an interview with the Ref(Steele  ?)of the Taylor v Chavez fight who stopped the fight with around 8 seconds left for which he received a hell of a lot of stick. The ref made the point that although Taylor was winning the fight, from half way Chavez was landing some really heavy punches and so when he put Taylor down he stopped the fight.

The ref should be encouraged to stop the fight in such circumstances but how often to see commentators deriding them for stopping it too early especially when you have some fighters Holmes springs to mind who had extraordinary powers of recovery.

Interesting point about racing though as I remember seeing a national hunt meet at Worcester. Every jockey in one race looked like they were a professional boxer. I've never seen that many smashed up faces in one place.

I can't justify boxing but it's a great sport.

I watched Abraham v Murray and I thought Abraham won the fight and he's another king of dull fights.