Re: Boxing

I have two large regrets in life. Both to do with what I wanted to do in life. One was be a boxer. I was obsessed by it from my earliest memory. I went to a boxing gym aged about 15. It was a professional gym and I was the only kid there. I trained amongst the boxers and loved it. The trainer had no time for me because I was too young and only there cos my dad knew the owner. I was at the wrong gym. I spent nearly three years there. I was super fit, could hit a bag like a pro and the odd sparring I did I was very fast and very accurate.  Ended up running a pub at 18 and that was that.

If I could turn back the clock, my God I would want to give it a go in the pros. About ten years ago I was at a gym. Been there a few months and they had a punchbag there. I'd not been on one for years.  I would train and see people on it and most were useless. One day I thought fuck it and I went on it.  There were three Asian lads in the gym plus a few others.  The Asian kids were talking for a while after and then came over.  They asked if I would teach them how to punch.  Not bad eh?

The other regret. Is I could have been a jockey. My dad was a huge gambler and had quite a bit of inside information. He had a trainer at Newmarket called jock.  He used to get tips from him and stuff. Most weeks me dad would be posting a case of nice whiskey down for jock. When I was about to leave school me dad had sorted me a job at Newmarket working for jock with the possibility of me becoming a jockey. I said no chance because I wanted to be a boxer.

The dreams we had as children eh

I wanted to be left alone. Lighthouse keeper would have suited me.

Two new world champions for Britain at t'weekend.  We now have two more than the Muricans.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

scootay wrote:

I have two large regrets in life. Both to do with what I wanted to do in life. One was be a boxer. I was obsessed by it from my earliest memory. I went to a boxing gym aged about 15. It was a professional gym and I was the only kid there. I trained amongst the boxers and loved it. The trainer had no time for me because I was too young and only there cos my dad knew the owner. I was at the wrong gym. I spent nearly three years there. I was super fit, could hit a bag like a pro and the odd sparring I did I was very fast and very accurate.  Ended up running a pub at 18 and that was that.

If I could turn back the clock, my God I would want to give it a go in the pros. About ten years ago I was at a gym. Been there a few months and they had a punchbag there. I'd not been on one for years.  I would train and see people on it and most were useless. One day I thought fuck it and I went on it.  There were three Asian lads in the gym plus a few others.  The Asian kids were talking for a while after and then came over.  They asked if I would teach them how to punch.  Not bad eh?

The other regret. Is I could have been a jockey. My dad was a huge gambler and had quite a bit of inside information. He had a trainer at Newmarket called jock.  He used to get tips from him and stuff. Most weeks me dad would be posting a case of nice whiskey down for jock. When I was about to leave school me dad had sorted me a job at Newmarket working for jock with the possibility of me becoming a jockey. I said no chance because I wanted to be a boxer.

The dreams we had as children eh

....fade away. We only get what we will settle for. smile

"To tell you the truth, a lot of the younger lads don't care about the FA Cup, they think it's just something your Grandparents talk about. They'd rather we got knocked out." Trevor Davies - Streatham Rovers Football Club

I fail to see how you can ban something that is so base and instinctive.  You can't remove the nature of men so why not just make sure it's as safe as it can be because it will always happen and would just revert to Philoe Bedoe vs Tank Wilson type stuff.  I understand the point made about the aim of the game and one being free to separate your opponent from his senses and mean to do it and yep it would be decent grounds to ban it. 

Are we going to stop footballers heading the ball?  Rugby scrums?  Collapsing scrums are dangerous as fuck.  Silly fuckers sliding down mountains on planks at 100 mph, what's that all about too!!

All this UFC silliness is way more brutal than boxing and I'm constantly told it's better.  Not for me though, too much cuddling and kneeing in the arse.

I prefer the UFC these days tbh.

Speaking of banning stuff, do you remember that line from The Face in their article about hooliganism, something about if you wanted to stop it you'd have to ban young men and Saturday afternoons....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

Travis Bickle wrote:

I prefer the UFC these days tbh.

Speaking of banning stuff, do you remember that line from The Face in their article about hooliganism, something about if you wanted to stop it you'd have to ban young men and Saturday afternoons....

You're not the only one TB, I can't get into it though.  I grew up in a great time for boxing and still love it today.  What baffles me is that Britain now has 10 world champions, some of which may not even be able to afford to scratch their arse and really there should only be 9 champs in 9 divisions in the world full stop.   

That's about the size of it.  Like Alan Clarke said of England fans scrapping abroad.  He felt they were just displaying their innate martial instincts and it was no big deal.

No time for UFC at all

I only like UFC when they're on their feet. All that homeoerotic cuddling is a bit too women in love for me

Last edited by scootay (Tue 24 Nov 2015 9:34 am)

Klitchko v Fury.  Who's watching it?  What's the thoughts of OMJ?

Hoping I can get it free on Kodi.

I always look to see how the underdog can win and I have a few thoughts.  Firstly K has not been tested in years.   He is pushing 40 and I remember Holyfield looking very old against an up and coming Michael Moorer.  Fury is very big and should be able to sap the strength from K using his weight.  Lastly and most importantly Fury is nowhere near as shit as some people think. 

Oh and he's a mad gypsy who doesn't know what it means to lose whilst K is now a dad and married to Hayden Panatiere.

Too much of a step up in class for Fury I feel.
He's certainly big and awkward enough to make it an uncomfortable night for Klitschko but despite being unbeaten,Fury's not really fought anyone of note up to now.

Not short on confidence though,I'll give him that!

Looking forward to it.

"A bigot,a person who is intolerant or hostile towards different social groups and who regards members of these groups with hatred"

I also think tyson has some real boxing ability. I think he has quite a bit more variety than klitschko but he's not a concussive  puncher (no offence LL) he's got to avoid the steelhammer though.  He's been decked by lesser punchers, admittedly got back up but klitschko, if he hurts fury is a good finisher. He's got to push the fight because he's in Germany,  anything less than a domination  is a loss. He needs to mix it up a lot and he can win

Last edited by scootay (Sat 28 Nov 2015 9:57 am)

The mad gypsy thing counts for nothing when ypur boxing at this level. I don't really follow the heavyweights but I don't think there's anything in his career that suggests he is worthy of a tirle shot. Puncher's chance.

Only those who dream will someday see their dreams converted to reality

Klitschko to win by KO at half way after being well ahead on points. So put your money on Fury I'm hopeless.

Not seen that much of Fury but I've not been that impressed with what I have seen and I don't remember him fighting anyone of similar size(sneaks of to check boxrec)

I think Fury is well out of his quality band against Klitschko, and as MAC says ko'd after being well behind. My only concern is him being 39. Fury seems a bit amateurish to me.

"To tell you the truth, a lot of the younger lads don't care about the FA Cup, they think it's just something your Grandparents talk about. They'd rather we got knocked out." Trevor Davies - Streatham Rovers Football Club

what, Rod Stewart singing some shit in the ring.

CBIT wrote:

what, Rod Stewart singing some shit in the ring.

I've bought the fight surely it's a sign of senility.

Skeletor just sang the national anthems

CBIT wrote:

Skeletor just sang the national anthems

Best bit. Classy Germans

Fury confusing Klitchko quite a bit.  I'd like to see some more leather thrown but Fury is leading. 

Watching free on Kodi.

He's only going to do it

Think the mad fucker has done it.  Just needs to avoid getting knocked out.

Im watching it on hbo, they have tyson, by a mile

hahaha, unanimous decision for the pikey