Topic: Summer Holiday 2017

Any ideas, looking for sun, water, no wallers (apart from us), cheap, no wars..

Flights to the med are around £1300 for family of 4. Seriously considering driving. How much on the chunnel and peage to south of france for example?

Last edited by placidcasual (Mon 02 Jan 2017 9:56 pm)

Re: Summer Holiday 2017

Usual suggestions from me:

1. Fly into Bordeaux, hire a narrow boat and do the canal du midi, ending up at Marseilles.
2. Argeles-sur-Mer
3. St. Jean du Lux
4. Malaga
5. That place ObL went in southern France

If it's june/July france will be tres expensive due to the euro's.

Canal du midi has been a cycling option as it goes. Thinking about Montpellier cheapest flights so far. Will be air bnbing.

Wim off to Normandy.  Cheap as and we will be in France with all the winey, cheesy, bread shenanigans that go with it.  Vive.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

I fancy Sicily, well I've always fancied Sicily.  I had flights booked in 04 but the fucking car blew up on the way to Stanstead so never made it and the opportunity has never really arisen again.

Anyway - I feel I am in position to go next summer.  However it will be me, wife and 12 YO son.  Has anyone done a package there?  I've seen some and the prices are agreeable however outside Palermo and Taormina I'm a bit stumped and what I have seen the reviews are not great.  Want a beach/pool holiday but close to a city for culture and some Mafia shit.

Anyone been, done that sort of thing?

Thankyouplease.

Last edited by danpiesley (Wed 16 Dec 2015 12:50 am)

Aim Low and miss...

In descending order of the coastline
St Jean/ St Gilles in Vendee ...
Cap Ferret / Arcachon by Bordeaux
Hossegor down by Biarriitz

Get the kids surfing

Take off hosers ...

danpiesley wrote:

I fancy Sicily, well I've always fancied Sicily.  I had flights booked in 04 but the fucking car blew up on the way to Stanstead so never made it and the opportunity has never really arisen again.

Anyway - I feel I am in position to go next summer.  However it will be me, wife and 12 YO son.  Has anyone done a package there?  I've seen some and the prices are agreeable however outside Palermo and Taormina I'm a bit stumped and what I have seen the reviews are not great.  Want a beach/pool holiday but close to a city for culture and some Mafia shit.

Thankyouplease.

Went to Sicily this year, come back to you later on this.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Toronto Ted wrote:

In descending order of the coastline
St Jean/ St Gilles in Vendee ...
Cap Ferret / Arcachon by Bordeaux
Hossegor down by Biarriitz

Get the kids surfing

....or wind surfing at palmyre.

danpiesley wrote:

Thankyouplease.

Stayed in Modello last year which is just outside Palermo.  It was really nice but not sure I would recommend it without knowing a little more about what you like.  It's essentially Palermo's upmarket beacj resort and can get rammed with people during the summmer.  It has lovely restaurants and a nice promenade,  the beach is pretty good too

Nice and close to Palermo although the traffic is mental and you'd be best getting the train (probably)

It's also close to the main coast road so you can get about pretty easily - to the west coast anyway.  If you want to do the east and south then I'd say find somewhere else

We did see a nice little cameo in The Charleston restaurant - seemimgly one mafia boss was eating there as another arrived much to the chagrin of everyone involved (the previously calm maitre de was shitting himself).  It all ended amicably with the incumbent finishing up while the newbie was chaperoned off to a side lounge for a drink or two.......  Interestingly,  there was lots of kissing of the mafia bosses' gold cross worn round the neck by all who attended him - interestingly or wierdly depending on your point of view I guess.......

On reflection,  I'd stay somewhere else but you'd do OK there if you wanted to be in Palermo quite a bit

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

Cheers Ray.  I think that sounds good.  Being in a self contained place but with access to a bigger place.  Was Modello expensive?  I am guessing it is expensive in general as it is an Island.

Did you drive at all?

I'm unsure about a car although I want to go to Coreleone in particular and a few other places on the Mafia/Salvatore Guillano trail.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

Cheers Ray.  I think that sounds good.  Being in a self contained place but with access to a bigger place.  Was Modello expensive?  I am guessing it is expensive in general as it is an Island.

Did you drive at all?

I'm unsure about a car although I want to go to Coreleone in particular and a few other places on the Mafia/Salvatore Guillano trail.

I rented a place in town - wasn't too bad cash wise.  I'd look at Air bnb first to see what was on there.  Rented a car from the airport and did quite a bit of driving - both out west along the coast and also east out and past Palermo into mountains etc.  Was very good and not too busy if you avoided the thronging mass that is Palermo

I want a hotel with a pool for the nipper.

It needs to tick a few boxes - not sure i'll find it outside Palermo - may have to look at Trappini, Marsala or Messina or summat.  But I 'd favour the West Coast.

At least I know it's do able.

Aim Low and miss...

danpiesley wrote:

I want a hotel with a pool for the nipper.

It needs to tick a few boxes - not sure i'll find it outside Palermo - may have to look at Trappini, Marsala or Messina or summat.  But I 'd favour the West Coast.

At least I know it's do able.

It's very doable.  If you do go to Modello,  there's a hut next to the beach that does a mean Gin and Tonic - I smashed a load one afternoon watching the World go by and don't actually remember heading back to the partment.  So it must have been a good afternoon.....

danpiesley wrote:

Thankyouplease.

Went to Sicily this summer, lovely holiday. We went to Caeser Palace in Gairdini Naxos near Taormina. Great hotel, very few English, mostly Italians. Food was great, little terrace restaurant for lunch with thin crust fresh pizza. Two pools, one small one for kids. Near a supermarket where you can stare in awe at the deli counter for half an hour.

There's a shuttle bus to the beach and the hotel's own bit when you get there. The coastline there is stunning. Me and the lad went off for a walk and found a load of rock pools and caught little fish and crabs. We got a bus to Taormina a couple of times, great place, shops, restaurants, bars and a first gear windy road up to it. Beautiful views of the bay. Then further up is Castelmola which hugs the hillside like it's about to drop off. Stunning views.

We did a trip up Etna too which was fantastic. Halfway up in a bus, then 20 mins in a cable car, then an all terrain vehicle and finally a yomp to the top. Four seasons one day when you're up there, hot, cold, windy, foggy. Amazing thing to do, loved it. Catania and Messina not too far away too for bigger cities. Highly recommend Sicily.

Fulmine's our Italian correspondent. He usually comes on about 11 on a Friday pissed up and posting about Small Faces and Charlie Watts' shoes.

Harvest wrote:

Fulmine's our Italian correspondent. He usually comes on about 11 on a Friday pissed up and posting about Small Faces and Charlie Watts' shoes.

Yeah that's out of order as it goes.

Modica's beautiful. I love Palermo, but not sure you'd need to stay there more than a couple of days. Cefalu's great. Corleone's all concrete (and full of coach parties doing "the mafia thing"), maybe watch the football team if they're at home (Corleone scarf would be fucking cool). Sicily's the bollocks.

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Ah, you big daft old silly mod.

X

2+1

Water polo and meeting deadlines.

Thirteen hundred for 4 sounds steep to me. I fly on Tuesdays and never pay more than about six hundred for five of us. I've done Nice, Carcassonne and Bordeaux in last six years and got good prices every time. Same for Bologna, Florence and Barcelona.

We did Basque country in 2014 and would highly recommend it. Stayed near Biarritz and toured all over the place; Bilbao, San Sebastian, Hossegor, Arcachon, Bayonne - all cool. Loved San Sebastian. Weather can be iffy but we got lucky. Surf on first day was monstrous but calmed down and good fun thereafter. Kids tried surfing but waves a bit intense for first timers.

Planning Croatia next year but have said that for last few years and yet to make it work.

Bay of Kotor is really beautiful. Id go again. The resorts were really busy but not a problem. Really interesting seeing the Serbs mainly holiday. Eastern euro beat, different fast food, clothes etc. You'd love it NNC.

Went to Tisno in the summer and it was ace, like a quiet Spain maybe 20 years ago, I'd go again and I was boshed most of the time. 

13 hundred would get you out this way, fuck Dubai off and drive through the dessert and over the mountains after landing in Dubai up to Muscat in Oman.

Our next holiday will be out that way, scenery is out o this world.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02466/Beehive_tombs__El__2466281k.jpg

http://ppcdn.500px.org/1373429/59b055fae3c183f32b59136155dab1be0f1cd140/5.jpg

http://www.atg-oxford.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Jebel-Akhdar-mountains.jpg

http://www.orienttravel.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/MUSCAT-AT-NIGHT.jpg

http://postvoyant.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/200807_3-Muscat-etc-158.jpg

We're off next month on a visa run - looks ace, cheap too, car hire included.

#DoTheDai \o/

No chance in the summer mind, good up until March, early April at a push. That mountain drive from Dubai will be in 50+ degrees of heat after that..

#DoTheDai \o/

Hopefully going in March for 4/5 days - will be in touch PC/KOTS  for some tips

Last edited by Toronto Ted (Mon 21 Dec 2015 2:13 pm)

Take off hosers ...

Toronto Ted wrote:

Hopefully going in March for 4/5 days - will be in touch PC/KOTS  for some tips

KOTS went raving with the Outlaws lot I think. Happy to help when needed.

Harvest and Fulmine - thanks chaps.

Harvest - that place sounds bang on - had a look last night.  can book through first choice.

Did you go all inclusive???

Aim Low and miss...

Inspired by this thread and placid and KOTS' recommendations I've just booked up for Croatia.  Five of us flying into Venice for £700ish and then driving round to Istria and doing our usual chalet/static campsite routine.  Aside from lazing by the Adriatic I'm already planning some excursions to Trieste, Ljubljana and possibly Split.  Roll on July......fingers crossed for some Europa League qualifiers....many thanks to the OMJ travel advisors